Gaming in 2005

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by spuriousmonkey, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I was reading this short article on gaming in 2005 and I was slightly disappointed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4155763.stm

There doesn't seem to be anything new coming out. Just the same old stuff and that is the future. Does anyone know of anything really interesting that is being worked on?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

What about Fallout 3?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Is that by accident a sequel to fallout 2?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Indeed! Although Interplay has gone bankrupt, I heard that some other company (was that EA?) has taken up the cause.

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I've read the Faq, but it seems they are still in preproduction.

But you kind of made the point again of nothing new coming out.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I want to see a new and interesting game!!!

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Yeah, you're right!

Although I've been waiting for STALKER for quite some time now.
    I think it's a game worth looking in to.

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I read somewhere else that there is a trend towards gaming with the simple free online games such as pool and poker. Games that can be played any time, even when you just have a few minutes.

12. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

I agree with Avatar, Stalker looks nice, Fallout 3 wold be great, but really, could someone please make me a good and interesting role playing game like Baldurs Gate?

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'm a RPG player. Baldur's Gate, Morrowind, Fallout, Neverwinter Nights, etc.
    Pool and poker... what's next? Knitting?

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I concur wit dreamwalker, as long as it is not like Neverwinter nights.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Neverwitner nights was not that bad, but can not be compared to Fallout or Baldur's Gate though.

GIVE US RPG'S

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

If you want to hear an idiots view on the future of gaming click on the following link.

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-6033_16-4207677.html

uh....yeah right...they probably sell more console games because a console game only has 2 hours gametime in it.

Another article was written quite some time ago. They have this remarkable statement:
    source

Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

So maybe what we want is a RPG that uses AI to create a rich and believable environment. Maybe to have a world where not everything is scripted. Of course it is of essence to have a scripted plot to some degree in an RPG, but the scripting takes place in an environment in which things would still happen without the scripting.

I can remember that the game 'revolutions' (or something like that) attempted to create a believable environment but I never played it. I don't know if it was a failed experiment. It almost seems so, because there were lots of previews in gaming magazins and then it had hardly any publicity.

18. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Well, Neverwinter Nights was fun, the campaign was a bit lame and too linear, but the editor that came along with the game made it more interesting.

Consoles? Why exactly should I use a small PC in a fancy case with limited capabilities and nearly no option of hardware upgrading to play games that would run much better on a normal PC? And I would not like to play RPGs, FPSs or Strategy Games without a mouse...

Anyway, I hope something good comes out nonetheless. A game like Baldurs Gate 2 with an Expansion can entertain me for several months. But that probably is not neccessarily something searched for in games. Perhaps it is better to make them fast and short so you can just sell more...

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Or Morrowind. I played the damn game for a whole year (expansions, custom fan campaigns, etc), and I think of replaying it. It's immense

20. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Hasn't Duke Nukem Forever been in development for something like 10 years now?

Ballerium might be good. We need more MMOs that aren't RPGs. I'd like to see a sequel to Total Annihilation.

21. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Isn't F.E.A.R. supposed to be out this/next year too? For the RPGers, isn't Dungeon Siege II coming out as well? Then there's Quake IV, but I guess all this is considered same ol' same ol'.

- N

22. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

First Dungeon Siege sucked almost like no other RPG.
    Sure, it was pretty, but the actual ROLE Playing and the STORY was boring and .. yeah.. I got bored pretty soon.

23. vslayer Registered Senior Member

the only reason consoles sell more than PC is because you cant download console games(you can but no-one knows how to make them work). at one time while looking for HL2 on bittorrent there were more than 30,000 downloading it. it topped 50,000 for doom3.

the availability of games on the internet does have an affect on game sales, but they olud still earn more if they didnt charge ridiculous prices, the cheapest i could find HL2 was $90, most places charged $100

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.