Fundamental Human Morals Actually Exist?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by goofyfish, Apr 15, 2002.

1. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

January/December Romance Goes Horribly Wrong

So. Can we assume this is fundamentaly wrong?

Peace.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ImaHamster2 Registered Senior Member

Amusing…quotes of quotes make it difficult to see who is saying what and who is disagreeing with whom.

For the record…this hamster personally supports tolerance and values diversity. This hamster does not feel “tolerance” is a universal value as many societies and groups place little value on tolerance. “Tolerance” as a virtue may well derive from societal experience in dealing with diversity.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. WildCard Registered Member

Cant remember who it was exactly.... but explorers in the Pacific found several Islander cultures where it was normal for visitors to be presented with wives and daughters in order to make them feel welcome and comfortable.
    What the Islander girls thought of this practice is unrecorded... but it would seem wrong to apply the predjudices of our own culture on them.. perhaps to them it was a hell of a night out and a wonderful break from routine

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

My point, basically, is that our own (Western) morals are merely a holdover from an earlier time, where sex is concerned, and merely a cultural thing rather than instinctual. I dont believe in monogamy (unless you both WANT to be monogamous) or anything like that. Christian values (and the vast majority of our sexual mores result from a long bondage under the christian religion) have no real place anymore now that people can control birth.

Goofyfish was asking which, if any, of our morals are fundamental to us as a species.
    My belief is that there are none... any crime can be explained away if you consider Darwinian law.

The only exception I can think of to this point is that, while rape in ancient times may have been a way of propagating the species, in modern times it tends to be more of a power/domination thing and be a mental rather than physical attack. I cant think of any justifiable reason for such behaviour to exist.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

And fundamentally icky.

I've never been fucked by a seventy year old man, but I assume the psychological scarring would be reasonably horrific.

Darwinianly speaking, you could justify rape. It is a way of selecting a male that has a certain level of strength and fitness. Or atleast, that is hypothesised in regard to simpler lifeforms. For humans there are probably more complex cultural factors that make rape non-benefical.

8. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"more complex cultural factors that make rape non-benefical."

In modern society rape makes a psychological victim out of the female. And often, a physical victim. That's why it's not acceptable.

9. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member