, Fruit Loops are now being used to torture prisoners being held at Guantanamo

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by THE VILLAGE FOOL, May 25, 2002.

1. THE VILLAGE FOOL Registered Member

check it out i could not believe it.......

http://www.almartinraw.com/column57.html

also i would like to ask why the week in Europe starts with Monday and the week in North America with Sunday ....

thx

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

Monday is the first day of the week because Sunday is the last day of the weekend, making Sunday necessarily the last day of the week!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

I think it has something to do with the Sabbath, being on Sunday, and it stating in the bible that it was the first day of creation(?) - I could be wrong though.

Take care

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Back in ancient Babylon and all, Sunday, the day of the Sun, the largest celestial symbol, was the first day of the week. That was a very common standard. Although I believe at times back then a week had ten days; different for different places and times. The day before Sunday was the Sabbath then, when people got into a 7-day week still using Sunday as an important day. The whole Monday as the first day of the week thing is newer, based on work schedules I believe.

8. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Our week starts on a sunday? Says who??? On the calenders, maybe, but I see no other reason to believe our week starts on a Sunday.

9. Riomacleod Registered Senior Member

Judeo-christianly the week starts on a Sunday. God rested on the 7th day, which he said to make holy, and rest. Jewish people still follow this commandment by having their temple gatherings on Saturday. The reason christians celebrate on Sunday is because most were still practicing Jews and since Saturday was a day of rest, sunday was a day off.

The "weekend" is a relatively modern concept. Everyone had of Sundays for their respective church-going, but as more jewish people came to europe, their holy day was on saturday. Therefore it became practice to give off both days for people to worship as needed, and i'm of the opinion that the word comes from "weekends" meaning the front and back of a week.

For the first time Adam and I agree on something... uh-oh.

10. Lesion42 Deranged Hermit Registered Senior Member

So is the world gonna' end, or something? If it is, can we sell tickets?