Frontline on Afghanistan: The War Briefing

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Echo3Romeo, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Roman Banned Banned

The French and the Germans were, and are, a radically different people, with different languages, religion, mentality, stature, hair and eye color, cuisine, and history. They have been a separate people for thousands of years.

The Taliban is composed of Afghanis- they speak the same language, eat the same food, worship the same god, look the same, smell the same, talk the same, act the same, think the same.

The difference is as stark as night and day. A better analogy would be comparing the US troops in Afghanistan to the the Nazi occupation of France. If you want to learn how to win this war, it would be better to look at how the Nazis destroyed resistance movements, or any other occupying force for that matter.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

Mongols did a hell of a job. Isn't most of Afghanistan Mongol now?

I guess good ol' fashioned eastern brutality would be the best way to win it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

They did turn into insurgents against the Germans, though.

The Russians, Poles, Norwegians, Finns, Danes, Spanish, etc, all turned against their invaders and occupiers.

So did the Chinese, Philippinos, Okinawans, and Koreans.

This resistance contributed significantly to their eventual defeat and expulsion.

Now was this because the Japanese, Germans, and Russians were insufficiently brutal ?
    No.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Roman Banned Banned

Really?
    Didn't they have Khans ruling it for the first half of last century? And the Moghuls were fighting the Persians over it forever, not to mention that the Pashtun aren't very well represented in the current government, which is like the "real" ethnic group of Afghanistan, as opposed to the Persians, Arabs, and Mongols that were steamrolling them.

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Even tho' we've had a major disagreement, don't think for one second that I'm not proud of, and that I don't support your efforts as a military volunteer. I'd proudly call you my friend ...yet we could still disagee about things.

I wish you the best of luck and a long, long life, Echo. Thank you for your service!

Baron Max

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I'm confused by your comment. Who ever said that "they", whoever you're talking about, aren't fighting on our side? Some are, some aren't, ...just like in most other wars that I know. So, ...what are you talking about ...exactly?

Baron Max

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

You, sir, don't know much about Agh or the people. I'd suggest that you do some checking into their history.

But just a hint, many different groups of Afg have been fighting other groups of Afg for centuries.

Well, I agree that that would be one way of looking at it. But due to the liberal crowd around here, I'd never suggest such a thing for fear of being hanged, burned alive, dragged behind fast cars, then beaten with clubs!!

Just remember, the only thing that stopped the Nazi control of France was the USA and the allies. The French Resistance was a major joke until the USA became involved, and really did more to get citizens harmed or killed than any Nazis ever wanted to do.

Baron Max

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Those "insurgents" made little or no difference in the outcome of the war. And even if they'd turned against the Allies, they'd have been little more than pesky fleas and gnats!

Baron Max

12. fess Registered Senior Member

I'm sort of new to this forum, but have spent lots of time on other forums and messageboards.

BM is a troll. He more interested in getting reactions than in logical debate.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Want logical debate?

The war tactics of WW II in Europe won the war.
    The "hearts n' minds" tactics of Vietnam lost that war.

Therefore, the tactics of war should be like that of WW II Europe and NOT that of "hearts n' minds" if we're interested in winning the war. QED.

Baron Max

14. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

You've been an asset to this forum. Thank you, and the best of luck to you.

15. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Very good posts and analysis Echo3Romeo. I think the George II administration tried to fight the Afganistan war on the cheap and as a consequence it is costing far more than it should both in terms of lives and money.

Thus far we have failed to erect a stable government and a stable economy in the region. Torching the cash crops of most of the farmers in the region is not going to win us any friends in the region. The bottom line is the next administration is going to have to fix those conditions in Afganistan that allowed the Taliban to come to power. If that is not done, then everything accomplished in the region is worthless and as soon as we withdraw the region will once again fall into chaos.

It seems George II and his Republicans could not or would not understand that very simple reality. Our military can kick ass against any other military force, but using it as a police force is just not what we should be doing with our military. And frankly it pisses me off.

Good luck Echo3Romeo!

16. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

I pray that you come home safely.

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The tactics you espouse lost WWII, for the sides that employed them.

The "hearts and minds" tactics won the Vietnam War, for the side that actually empoloyed them.

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Huh?

Don't know much about the Vietnam War, do you? The NVA and the Viet Cong used terror tactics and violent intimidation on the people of South Vietnam.

Read the following, you might learn something about Vietnam and the North Vietnamese communist tactics:

"When the US pulled out of vietnam, close to 2 million people were slaughtered by the new regime and more than a million fled for their lives, by boat to safety in the west.

When the US pulled out, they abandoned the montagnards to the North Vietnamese, who committed the greatest acts of ethnic cleansing since the holocaust.

When the US pulled out the NVA supported the pathet Lao in Laos, which resulted in close to 750 000 deaths.

When the US pulled out, the communists crossed over into cambodia, eventually taking power and murdering 6 million people.

When the US pulled out, the communists crossed over into Thailand, sparking a civil war that raged for more than a decade and claimed a half million lives.

If the US had STAYED in Vietnam, these might have been prevented, it was the RIGHT, JUST AND MORAL act to stay. It was the WRONG, IMMORAL and UNJUST act to abandon the innocent to the hands of the bloodthirsty.

The same is true of Iraq."

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What if the US had never stuck its oar in Vietnam, Iraq or Afghanistan?

20. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Then the world would be a peaceful, rosy, sweet, wonderful, luscious place to live and work.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

All of the world's problems have been directly caused by the Americans, right, SAM?? :shrug:

Baron Max

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well, history would certainly have been different if Ngo Dinh Diem, Saddam Hussein and the mujahideen had not received funding and arms from the Americans.

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And sciforums would certainly be different without you around. But does that change anything?

"IF" statements are always fun, huh, SAM?

Baron Max

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, but only if they make you reconsider future repetitions of the same ole mistakes. With the US arming and funding warlords in Pakistan, PKK in Iran, the Ethiopians in Somalia and the Awakening in Iraq, there is no danger of that.