Freedom – Achieved by voluntary surrender.

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Quantum Quack, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Clown Banned Banned

Relative to what?
    Freedom is a relationship so it is relative to the ones relating.

If I give the other power over me and surrender to him, I am giving him power over myself and so taking my freedom away, in relation to him.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. granpa Registered Senior Member

Are you free to enslave? If not then being free requires giving up some freedoms.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pharaohmoan The illusion is you, let go. Registered Senior Member

Sorry to come in late to this very interesting post so are you saying here that it is because as humans that we have basic needs, that we give away our freedom to meet those needs. If so I would say it is not the balance of freedom that allows harmony (as in Quantum Quack said in the OP) but rather the elimination of basic human needs. Take away the literal need to pay for basic needs and services and you take away some of the need to give away ones freedom period.

Going back to Geoff quote
    I agree. Also it seems to me democracy is not a fail safe system. although perhaps stable in appearance IMO it stiffles evolution by subduing the masses into giving up an unfair proportion of their freedom and attention. And to top it all off the system that protects the democracy from collapse is so set in stone, layered and protected from attack that to challenge it faces both ridicule and possible persecution. It's a very anti-evolutionary system to be a part of.

So who should we really be relinquishing control over to along with our freedom to self determine?

Surely not our current heads of state!

Is there a conflict between spirituality/evolution and necessity?

Should anyone have absolute freedom and power????

Should reward/achievement/attainment of freedom and power (if granted) be distributed hieriachaly or flatly?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. granpa Registered Senior Member

how does what the op describes differ from simply becoming a responsible adult?

8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I think the easiest analogue to help describe this issue is the use of money.

In a western society money provides a person with the freedom of choice.

The person with the most disposable income has generally speaking the greatest freedom. However that person normally would have had to surrender choice and work for or earn his money.
    In a materialistic society poverty is a state of oppression of choice and therefore by default oppression of freedom.

In fact it isn't unusual in reading of history to see the notion of keeping the masses in a state of poverty so that they can be controlled and goverened due to their restriction of choice. [ no internet, plane travel, medical provisioning limits etc etc, by regulating wealth a government can maintain the servitude of the population. [ for a little while any way until they face execution after a coup or revolution ]
    In fact the current dangers for the Chinese Government are glaring as they attempt to manage the massive change that their country is going through. If they over restrict they face revolution if they under restrict they grow too fast and have chaos. A tough ask IMO.

So swapping freedom for money is very common, surrendering choice for 8 hours so that 8 hours of pay, money can be received to grant you 8 hours of choice.

The marriage between a man and a woman, husband and wife is also one of freedom exchange, in fact with out it in balance we have servitude of either party and the main reason behind relationship failure..

any ways.......

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I guess it is worth saying that I feel we as humans each have the unalienable right to pseudo absolute self determination.
    That being said , if we choose to exercise that right we shall find oursleves very much alone and on a "deserted island" so to speak or dead by suicide due to depression caused by not getting what we want..... as to want something you give power over supply to that which holds what you want.
    To get what you want or need one has to trade in or barter in, that ability to self determine or freedom.
    The more successful you are in this trade the more successful you are at getting what you want or need.

The right to absolute self determination seems only to rationally apply to how you trade and barter your freedom and not much else. You alone determine how you spend your free time and labor etc etc...[ given that every one has essentially 24 hours a day 7 days a week freetime thus effort to trade with.]
    So the art of self determination could be seen similar to a "stock market broker"
    Stop trading in some form and you die...end of story...

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

maybe this will help explain if we reduce down to basics.

"Man sees food supply [ berries ] in a bush 1 kilometre away. he calculates in his head how much effort he will pay to get those berries. he determines that he will not profit from his journey as the berries will not cover the cost of getting them let alone make a profit so he stays where he is until he finds another solution or he makes the effort [ invests ] in the hope or faith that along the way to getting those berries he may find another source of food that is more profitable allowing him the freedom to escape hunger for a while and relax. [Thus buying opportunity and time]

The one day this man learns the art of agriculture and farming and suddenly he has time and freedom to escape the drudgery of chasing his food supply. "

and so on....
    Technology advancements etc are all about allowing greater freedom to choose [ as part of an addictive cycle of desire and relief - ]

11. Tnerb Banned Banned

We would all agree with this would we not?

If so why wouldn't we agree with it?

If you agree with it, explain why.

12. Clown Banned Banned

What about taking away the basic need to eat and get free from hunting and foraging, also?

I'm with you.

I bet if you're desperate enough to preserve your myth of liberty, as Quantum Quack is, you could reinterpret the forced need to interact and to purchase your life back as evidence that you are free to not do so, and die a free man, choose, because you have a choice in the matter, to work and buy what pieces of your life remain.

Then you can go to bed feeling better.

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Remember, as Oscar Mandel said, "Freedom is that particular form of slavery which we happen to enjoy."

14. pharaohmoan The illusion is you, let go. Registered Senior Member

How exactly do you take away the need to eat? Are you saying that the pysical body is holding us hostage or something?

15. Clown Banned Banned

I'm saying if you are determined by need then how is your will ever free?