FREE THOUGHT: SHOULD SUICIDE BE ILLEGAL?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Novalis, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Novalis Registered Member

Interesting opinions. Many of you seem to opt for the legalization of suicide.

Let's expand this. If we legalize suicide would this give criminals the opportunity to exempt themselves from facing long term inprisonment?

Do you think it's fair?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sculptor Valued Senior Member

The epitome of silly is "suicide watch" on death row.

sideshowbob likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. gmilam Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure why you think a suicidal person cares one way or the other if it's legal or not. Do you think he would think, "I want to kill myself, but I don't want to get in trouble."?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

If criminals choose suicide over imprisonment, doesn't that tell us something about capital punishment being the "ultimate punishment"?

sculptor likes this.
  8. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Bureaucrats, bankers and lien holders would all say it should be. A reasonable man would say no.

What does this Q&A accomplish?

9. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Odd thought:
    Stray thought:
    If rape is really common in prisons,
    are the prisons/and prison corporations then liable for not providing a safe environment?

If I hire helpers and do not provide a safe work environment I am liable.
    By any standard of fairness, so too should be the state, federal, and corporate prisons?

10. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

It is not only fair, it is the ideal thing criminals can do. No costs for imprisonment, no danger of recidivism after release, the victims will be satisfied too.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Physician-assisted suicide is legal in Oregon, and a few other states are thinking about it. But the physician will only approve it if the patient has an illness that A) is untreatably painful or degrading and/or B) is going to die from it soon. And the patient must be a resident of Oregon, which takes something like six months to establish.

Other countries have slightly more liberal laws, like Switzerland.

12. OptimusRoo Registered Member

That law would only be taking away more of the few rights we have left as humans. So many laws and rules, regulations, its exhausting.

13. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

It obviously makes sense for people with serious health problems to want to end their lives, although I personally would only do so if medical technology could not alleviate constant excruciating pain & would consider it my right to commit suicide.

The problem with suicide is that some who attempt it hope to be able to observe friends/relatives grieving or feeling guilty.

This seems to be a silly hope. The thinking processes, sensory input, & memories of an individual are functions of the brain. Even if a mystical process called a soul exists, it cannot have memories, emotions, or thoughts without the brain.

I would hope that those contemplating suicide have friends and/or relatives aware of their mental state & willing to try to help them cope with their problems.

BTW: There are various fictional themes with weird notions about the soul. The following is one such story.

An individual dies before his allotted time due to the angel of death acting prematurely. His body is cremated. The error is rectified by assigning his soul to the body of a man who died at his appointed time. The story ends with the body having the memories & thought processes of the original possessor of the body. That body is expected to live for 50 or so years.

Who actually got the extra 50 years? Surely not the individual who died before his allotted time, but this is the implication.

14. river

Hmmm...sure. The brain is undoubtedly important. But the soul captures them all.

15. IIIIIIIIII Registered Senior Member

Well Novalis... If I follow your thoughts then one should punish people for suiciding... Then what do you propose ? A death sentence ? The Bible already says that they will go to hell... isn't that sufficient ? Srsly

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But on a more serious note, I do think that any living creature is made for living and that suicide is a non-sense except in situations where people find themselves with extreme suffering and no hope for recovery. And, most of the time one has to admit that the lack of hope and the utter suffering is caused by other people. Then I would say that "pushing" people to suicide IS illegal and should be punished legally or illegally... my 2 cents

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    Novalis likes this.
  16. river

At the very least in cancer sufferers , should and deserve the choice of a suicide passing.

Have a doctor , a person of your faith ( if so inclined ) and a lawyer present and as well as members of the family.