"Free Speech" Zones

Discussion in 'World Events' started by jps, Oct 17, 2003.

1. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Actually I came up with an interesting thought experiment on teh way to work.

Imagine the USA veers leftwards, and the gvt spends its deficit on welfare for people, instead of on the military and tax cuts for the rich. So, you wish to show the president taht theres a lot of you unhappy about this, so next time he's in town, you form up at the airport to welcome him, beside the route he'll take. However, you get moved a mile down the road and off the route, because you present a potential danger, one of the reasons given is that a lot of right wingers are gun nuts, who might want to take a pot shot at the president.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

People can be concerned about whomever or whatever they want. It's not my place to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't care about.

Anyway, while the Weathermen may have opposed the Vietnam War, there is nothing about starting riots in Chicago's business district and destroying private property or blowing up a police memorial statue, for example, that would make life any easier for the Vietnamese and Americans who were killing and dying. If their true goal was to end the war in Vietnam they would have found a more productive means than terrorism.

Courtesy also of the paranoia and self-interest of other foreign nations involved in that war...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

"Courtesy also of the paranoia and self-interest of other foreign nations involved in that war..."

Agreed- but two wrongs dont make things better.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Unregistered The Original Conservative Registered Senior Member

8. jps Valued Senior Member

unregisted,
    I've read the book. it has no relevance here.
    I wasn't around in the 70's. I've probably gone to between 15-20 peaceful protests in the 90's-present.

Did you have any actual arguments to make here?

9. Unregistered The Original Conservative Registered Senior Member

10. jps Valued Senior Member

Yes. Yes it is. I don't recall ever making the argument that "Steal This Book" advocated peaceful activities. If people in the peace movement today were basing anything they did on it, it might have some relevance.

You don't want to present any arguments or support of your positions but you want to show me logic and reason? Clearly you need to look these words up.
    They don't mean unsupported condecension and insults.