"Free speech" unrealistic but necessary

Discussion in 'Politics' started by android, Mar 13, 2006.

1. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

Sometimes a nation says they permit free speech, but demand that such speech be "responsible" or that all speakers be "accountable" for their words, so only ideas arbitrarily considered "appropriate" are allowed, meaning those that are profitable and agree with the agenda of the people in charge.

http://www.nazi.org/community/columns/lindstrom/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

...meaning those that don't create violence or are a threat to public safety. I listen to speech every day on the radio that disagrees with the agenda of the people in charge.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. I don't know It's the pun police, run! Registered Senior Member

Never heard of any laws that said that. Have heard of laws that just plain outlaw racism and the like, though. Got any examples?

-

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

when a goverment talks about free speach they are talking about POLITICAL free speach. I dont have any right to leterbox people that my nabor is a pedifile because there dog kept my dog barking all night. Thats called slander and its illegal. The same thing goes for religions. Insiting vilonce is NOT free speach and nither is delibratly offending a group of people.

8. Light Registered Senior Member

Your whole concept is completely warped.

Of course people can and should be held accountable for their words - just as they are for their actions. Just because you want to pull a prank and yell FIRE! in a crowded building or HIJACK! on an airliner does not relieve you of the responsibility of your actions.

And neither can you openly state just anything you want to about and individual. That's also protected by personal liability laws. You may state opinions as long as you like if you make it clear that's what they are. But you cannot claim things are true without risk of being held accountable.

9. in terms of theoretical ideas and political speech, there is free speech in most countries that claim to allow it. you can't commit slander or libel, and you are held accountable for speech that is considered a direct threat to the life of a person or people. thats basically it. but other than that you can say and do what you want. if you are referring to the current controversy over the cartoons in danish newspapers and the resulting call for "responsible" free speech, well thats total bullshit. i was really angry when i heard Bush come out and say that the Danish papers shouldn't have published those cartoons because it was irresponsible. i would expect at least the american president to stand up for free speech rights.