free mmorpg's?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by esoterik_appeal, Jun 8, 2005.

1. esoterik_appeal H. pylori Registered Senior Member

i'm looking for a good one, but don't know where to start.

suggestions?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

There's actually no such thing as good free MMORPG (trust me), but in case you wish to try:
    Maple Story (www.mapleglobal.com)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

please, don't. they will eat up your time. read something that can help you. I liked Carl Sagan's "demon haunted world." have you read any books about physics? they can be quite interesting. (a brief history of time, elegant universe)

although, if you have your heart set on it, I heard there was a good one in the works a couple years ago. I dont know if it was finished, but it was called Plane Shift, google it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. esoterik_appeal H. pylori Registered Senior Member

oh don't worry about me. i only have access to a computer once or twice a week, i have plenty of time to read and i do.

8. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

Well, a good no monthly fee on is Guild Wars.

I dont about anything free/free. Get Guild Wars

9. THC Registered Member

anarchyonline.com is free until 2006. i don't play it tho.

10. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I'd have to disagree.

Anarchy Online is a good well developed game. It may not be perfect of course, but it no different than any paid game out there. It is completely free, and has a good community. I have made a post about it before. I used to play it. Great game.
    This game is absolutely free to install and play.
    They only charge you for the expansions.

Then there is the free Lineage: http://www.project-l2.com
    This may be more fun for you if you like richer graphics and ability to kill any player at anytime. This game is alot less complex than AO, but can be more fun none the less.
    This game is absolutely free to install and play.

Then there is the free WOW: I have never tested it. Not sure if it still exists. World of Warcraft is ranked very high. It's the best selling game ever.
    This is the crack server where you can play it for free: http://wowstatus.sub.cc/

Runescape looks pretty nice although I've never played it.
    Then there is Utopia. Real good html strategy webgame.

11. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Right. If you want to play these games, you might be better off going out, and smoking crack. Then pawn everything you and your friends own for a piece of chalk.

12. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I don't think guild wars is free. I heard you have to pay for registration or something.
    A free game means that you pay nothing at all for it. No registration, no monthly fee.

13. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

Good ol' Muds are free! Get yourself some telnet client and have a blast

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

hope you're not a very visual person, hehe.

14. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

You pay for the game and thats it. No more fees after that.

15. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

In other words it is not free.
    You have to pay for it.

16. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

Ok... most MMORPG's require a fee. I was saying that Guild Wars doesnt. So its free in that sense. But its not like Runescape or AO.

17. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

18. Jinoda Registered Senior Member

Hey curioucity, do you play Maple Story?

I followed your link, and I was really interested (I love cutesy anime-types. I played Ragnarok Online just for the character design....weird I know). I downloaded and installed it, but now I get crashes all the time. Either it crashes to desktop or the screen goes blank where all I can do is either listen to the music or restart my computer.

I know this isn't the greatest place to ask, but I was just wondering if you knew anything about it (I've googled it to death and can't find too much yet).

19. Lucidfox RPG Nut Registered Senior Member

Play Conquer Online

It blows Runescape and most other MMORPGs out of the water and only a select few are as good as CO(Maple Story, ROSE Online, Survival Project{which technically isn't an MMORPG but a MMOG}) I have an EagleArcher(xxGuyxx)as my main character and I play on Eternity server usually so if you create a character on Eternity whisper me and I'll help get you to a high level

There are about 100 or more different types of equipment that you can wear and each class has their own skills and their own equipment and a lot of the skills are fun to use(for example there's a skill I use called scatter which hits all nearby enemies that happen to be in the direction that I click, really great skill for hunting and leveling). Also, TQ makes updates at least 1-2 times a month(sometimes more)and they have special holiday quests where you can get special rare items which you can sell for tons of cash or wear to show off like Gift Hats, New Year Coats, etc and sometime soon(hopefully)they'll be releasing CO2.0 which will have horses players can ride and new skills and other new features.

20. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

It is not free in any sense.
    The only thing free so far about GW is the subscription.
    A game that is free is a game you do not have to pay for.
    With GW, you have to pay for the registration of the game.
    Therefore, you have to pay for it.

I would suggest guildwars because I'm sure from what I've seen that it is a good game. There is no subscription fee, but you still have to dish for the registration. It is not a free game as this thread is asking for, but because there is no subscription, it is worth mentioning. But to say that it is free, and assume we are only talking about subscription is misleading.

21. Combine Back from the Dead!!!!! Registered Senior Member

some good ones mentioned here

22. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Another totally free one is Kal-Online, an asia-style MMO, still in beta tho, has some nice features but I last played it some months ago, no idea what is new since I have enough money to play World of Warcraft. But give it a try, Kal-Online also isn't that large, on the client side, download is about 180 MB.

http://www.kalonline.com/

23. Bachus Registered Senior Member

If you can only play once or twice a week a mmorpg might not be your cup of tea. These kinds of games require enormous amounts of time to get anywhere (WoW is a bit faster i the levelling bit but it's not free).

[sub]Forgot all about this forum when i got reconnected to the net

thankfully a mail from porfiry reminded meof this

[/sub]