Forum rules update

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by James R, Aug 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emil Valued Senior Member

LOL....agreed....LOL

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

And why do you think this is a non-profit business?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Includes the value of whatever assets (personal information? Can't think of much else), in addition to the net present worth of the revenue stream, I suppose.

Although: $55/day * 365 days/year = about $20k per year. So $40k doesn't seem particularly crazy, it's only two years' revenues.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Good point.

8. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Most people read without login in. Right now there are 23 members and 461 guests. That's is a sizeable audience for the ads.

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Most of the guests are search bots.

10. Gustav Banned Banned

no
    search bots have id's and i counted once
    i think less than 20
    i'll count again
    brb

11. Gustav Banned Banned

12. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

Perhaps even a search bot produces at potential revenue stream. If I found this forum via a google search would not the search the post referred to have been found by a google search bot?

13. Gustav Banned Banned

you sound like you know the answer, fella
    yes

yeah
    thats why i snicker when tards boast of having me on ignore

14. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I've never used ignore. What does it actually do for you? Does it mask everything the ignored person writes or what? I can imagine if you use it much you will probably have a feeling of being left out of the action.

But anyway from the few posts of yours that I have read, I find it hard to believe anybody could ignore you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

The persistent ignorer is telling themselves "There is no elephant in the room! There is no elephant in the room! There is no elephant in the room!"

That said, I occasionally use the ignore function for short periods of time, when things get too heated. I remove people from the ignore list once the emotions subside.

16. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I used to have those type of problems once in a while, but hardly ever now. If you watch and study some of the people that never have those type of problems, it's not hard to pick up on how they manage it. You just have to be willing to change the way you interact with others on the forum. There is always a non emotional response you can make if you really look for it. It may not seem like it at the time, but a good non emotional response is a lot more satisfying. I just can't stand having an emotional button that someone else can push whenever they want. If you don't display your buttons they won't get pushed.

17. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

I agree with you.

That government is best which governs least.... then again, we have a lot of non-Americans running around as moderators.
    Then again, we have a lot of Americans running around as moderators.

I forgot which age we were living in.

Was that original, or an addition?
    Sheesh. I better stay away from those Morrissey avatars then.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  18. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

The Company is a vague-profit, mystery driven entity. No one really knows, Sir MacGillivray.

19. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

I have a question, not necessarily to do with the updated forum rules, but what is entailed by a self requested ban?

I have seen a few examples where people request their own permabans. Or where other people have requested bans of a person, and it is executed.

The two aren't the same, I know, but it's a bit puzzling for the first. The second example, where someone is banned at the request of another, does that simply mean the person may not have been banned by a moderator in the normal course of their moderating? Or does it mean that an offense that was overlooked was acted upon? Or is it too appease that member who feels they were wronged?

I assume a combination of factors, but I have noted in the banned list that occasionally, someone's reason for banning was "at the request of another member", in lieu of any more concrete offense. That's what I'm wondering about.

20. leopold Valued Senior Member

i seriously doubt if person "A" requests the ban of person "B" and then it happens.
    contrary to popular belief there IS a process at work here.

my opinion of the "suicide" type of ban is person "B" becomes disgruntled at the unfair practices used against him/her.

21. Gustav Banned Banned

thats all you, baby boy
    and sam

so we have me, you/sam
    who else?

/snicker

22. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

I like to think I deserve some credit for certain of the additions. Like the stuff about spending too much time bitching about mods/site, and a few other little touches here and there...

23. Gustav Banned Banned

umm, good sir

has this been directed at you.....those who contribute little useful content, and those who spend their time on the forum criticising it or its leadership.

??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.