For VI and other interested in Mountain Biking

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Idle Mind, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Mikenostic, do you have any experience with Avid Elixir R or Shimano Saint brakes?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Unfortunately I do not. However, interesting that you should post this evening of all, after no posts in this thread for so long. I was gunna send you a PM, but this will do.
    I got the Bottlerocket out of the shop today. It is complete and.....DAMMMMMMMMMN!! It's dope!

I dropped it off at Kenny's on my way home. I was going to snap some shots of it but his g/f had his camera at her friends.
    I'll get some shots of it tomorrow and post them up on here.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

I am likely going to order my wheels on Monday, but will have to wait for the new bar/stem, pedals and the new brakes. I have Shimano Deores on there right now, and I like the modulation but I'm concerned about the power and brake fade when I'm riding one of the parks (Mt. Washington or Whistler). Neither of those will be open until May, so I can wait for the brakes -- the ones I have will be fine for the local trails.

Anyway, please get some pics up when you have a chance! I'd love to see the finished bike.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Here it is!

With many thanks to Travis the bike shop mech, as he was the assembler.
    It's noticeably heavier than the Edge, but much more solid. It also has a lower center of gravity.

-Azonic Outlaw wheels/white rim, black spoke/hub
    -'07 Rockshox Domain 318 coil (170mm)
    -Shimano LX crankset
    -SRAM X-9 medium cage rear derailleur
    -polished aluminum Kalloy Uno seat post
    -Thomson shorty stem
    -Holzfeller DH riser bar
    -white e.13 bashguard
    -MRP single pulley chain guild
    -white OURY grips

other three pics coming up next post.

8. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Here are the other three.

Yeah, that's right. My seat has chrome stripes. They go well with the X-9 and Thompson shorty.

These came as quite a suprise; one of Travis' add libs (bullet shaped valve stem caps):

[/QUOTE]

9. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

That bike looks so slick. Nice build, man.

10. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

What does it weigh in at?

11. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I forgot to get it weighed. I'm going to guess between 36 and 42 lbs, but I'm not exactly sure.
    There is a noticeable difference between it and my Edge (which weighed about 29-30 lbs).
    How's your Blindside coming along?

12. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Ordered the wheels today, but the rear hub is going to take about two weeks to come in. The distributor didn't have any in stock, and are only getting one red one when they do. But, it's unspoken for so we should be good to go once they get it. There are a few other accent parts I would like, but I'll get pictures up after the new wheels go on because it may be a month or two before the other parts get ordered.

13. Roman Banned Banned

Hiking + biking + wilderness = hell biking

14. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Those types of tours and trips would be really cool, but I definitely don't have the stamina for that. A different type of riding that I'm into, but it would be interesting for sure.

15. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I'd love to find a campground that has a mtn bike trail (even better if it has a lot of freeride stunts) where you could go camping, then get up out of your tent and go ride.

16. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

My downhill buddy here in this area, Tryon, just got a Chumba F5. He's waiting on parts to get it finished as well. I can't wait to see it. Those F5's are freakin ridiculous.

What kind of fork did you say you have/are getting for it?

17. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

I currently have a 2007 Marz 66 RV. Should be fine for a season or two, and it's in really good shape. I may look into a Fox 36 Float or Vanilla, or a newer 66 RC2x or ATA. Going to see how the season goes first, and decide if I like the feel of the fork or not. I haven't really been able to push the bike too hard yet, but this summer it will be put through its paces.

18. Roman Banned Banned

I used to go bike this dirt road up a mountain, then follow a trail up the mountain valley, before having to carry the last 1000 ft or so to the top, then ride the ridge until dropping down into brush and a forest valley (had to carry a lot there), pick my way through bogs on moose trails, get to the creek in the middle between the mountains, inflate my raft, take down the bike and put it on the raft, float back to the start, and bike home.

[edit]
    With hell biking, the riding, pushing, and carrying all happen on the same day. The bike is just another tool to cross the landscape with.

19. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

You had me right up until you said 'up a mountain'.
    I don't do uphill pedaling. The only way I'm going 'up' a mountain is in a lift or shuttle. Unless it's going off a launch, the only direction my Bottlerocket goes is downhill.

20. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Haha, I will ride up hills, but I definitely have more fun on the way down.

21. Roman Banned Banned

You guys aren't mountain bikers; you're just huckers.

Pfffff......

For me, all the hard work of pushing my bike through brush and carrying it around my neck as I scramble across moraine makes the trails that are ridable that much sweeter.

22. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

You have the right to call us just huckers when I see some vids of you going off a big drop or something like that. LOL

For me, it doesn't get any sweeter than a 36 year old riding his bike off stuff that even guys in their early 20s are too chicken shit to go off.

23. Roman Banned Banned

I huck waterfalls.
    Safer Softer landing.