For peaceful life among us here is an biblical advice

Discussion in 'Religion' started by timojin, Dec 4, 2015.

1. river

Because this god comes first ; before Humanity; not Humanity first.

You know this spellbound.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

But if we presume God is the source of all things, shouldn't it follow that he comes first?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. timojin Valued Senior Member

Your analysis is questionable . I am not telling any body to repent , them it would be preaching ,
    Other person ( Yasata ) apparently found something to discuss.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I don't know what the point of a "Religion" forum might be if we can't discuss what we read and think on the topic.

8. Kristoffer Giant Hyrax Valued Senior Member

There's a difference between discussion and preaching.

9. timojin Valued Senior Member

Apparently you agree about parents influence . To me that Proverb 1 is an advice to a young person , I doubt you are a young person. Skeptical curiosity it depend on what . If I advice my child don't stick your hand into fire, and that child is skeptical on my advice and stick his hand into fire and get burn with pain , that definitively got him the knowledge the hard way to listen an advice .

God is our father ( creator ) . If I love my father I respect Him and listen to His advice . The father gives us good advice so we don't get hurt, since He have knowledge , therefore the fear is not because ( He will send bolt on me ) but the surrounding or environment will cause the pain.

Foolish to believe what we are told ///Please go on a busy highway and attempt to go 100/ mph. Ask an addict if heroin is addictive . Literature tells you cigarettes are harmful to your healt . You can run the experiment on yourself ( perhaps you will disapprove the literature ).

10. Kristoffer Giant Hyrax Valued Senior Member

God's not my father... If he is my dad'll kick his ass

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. timojin Valued Senior Member

KITTAMARU; posted
    ull Definition of PREACH
    intransitive verb
    1: to deliver a sermon
    2: to urge acceptance or abandonment of an idea or course of action; specifically: to exhort in an officious or tiresome manner

transitive verb
    1: to set forth in a sermon <preach the gospel>
    2: to advocate earnestly <preached revolution>
    3: to deliver (as a sermon) publicly
    4: to bring, put, or affect by preaching <preached the … church out of debt — American Guide Series: Virginia>

Have I said anything beside post a copy
    Have used the word we should ?

12. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Why would you presume that?

13. Kristoffer Giant Hyrax Valued Senior Member

I was replying to Bowser there.

I don't really need that definition, but thanks?

Also you didn't raise a point of discussion.
    What you did was create a thread titled "For peaceful life among us here is an biblical advice".
    Then you gave a quote from the bible.

14. timojin Valued Senior Member

For the sake of discussion let me agree with, What alternative you folk do you have ?

15. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Because everything in nature serves a purpose. Ask me why I would presume houses don't spontaneously assemble from a pile of lumber, cars just fall together from raw steel, or cities simply appear without cause. We look at the forces of creation in our own lives and naturally lend that force to the larger world.

I'm not satisfied with the notion that the mechanisms of the universe and life are simply arbitrary coincidence.

16. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

But we have been discussing.

17. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I don't have any problem with somebody posting a passage from some religious writing for discussion. It would be hard to discuss religious ideas at all, without real life examples.

Of course, that means that people must be willing to discuss the material.

Denouncing religious thought simply because it's religious isn't sufficient. That's how atheists often fail.

And just announcing some idea as scriptural truth with no further justification isn't sufficient either. That's how apologists typically fail.

I still want some explanation of how fear is supposedly the beginning of knowledge. And the question still stands whether fear is the most appropriate emotion for a theist to feel regarding God. Wouldn't love be better? The association of God with fear seems to suggest that God is a monster.

There's also the idea of just believing whatever one is told. Is that really wise? Wisdom and instruction need to come from sources qualified to convey them. So the question arises, how do we recognize sources of wisdom? Why should Hebrew proverbs be accorded that status if they don't otherwise make sense?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  18. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

It would seem that God holds the power of life and death. I don't subscribe to the idea that he holds a gun to our heads, but I understand why some people do.

I suppose if you look at the success of others (father and mother), and use them as an examples, it would be wise to listen. Looking at the success of the Hebrew religion and its successor, there might be an incentive to consider its validity.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They aren't arbitrary, nor are they purposeful. What's the purpose of cancer?

20. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

All things, good and bad, serve their purpose.

21. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

They are the product of creation. You can't look at the diversity around us and not assign an agent of force. What I call God, you might call nature.

The purpose of cancer is to kill, or so it would seem.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

God and nature aren't the same concepts.

23. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I actually ran into someone on SF years ago who took issue with my use of the word "nature." If we attribute all of the forces of nature to a God, then I believe they are the same concept, but I'm not looking to argue over the point.