For Christians to answer

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by battig1370, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

Indeed, a mind is a terrible thing to waste, and introspection is a powerful tool in the philosophy of the mind.

Sigmund Freud, an atheist, used introspection to develop his psychoanalytic theories.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Examing your own mental state should be done without God. It paints for the individual a truer picture of themselves. Know yourself before you claim to know God. Freud an atheist? No wonder.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

Introspection is a contemplation of one's own thoughts, desires, and conduct. It asks questions like what was I thinking when I did thus and so?

Mental state is more about mental health. It asks questions like why do I feel so depressed all the time?

I think these two concepts are only vaguely related.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. swarm Registered Senior Member

An interesting thing they have learned is for a lot of our thoughts, desires, and conduct, the actual reasons are precognitive and the conscious then back fills a story to explain to its satisfaction how it "decided" to do that.

The Buddhist technique of just observing instead of engaging in a thinking contemplation of one's actions may get one closer to the actuality of what is happening.

8. John99 Banned Banned

what does that mean?

9. kerux Registered Senior Member

False christians don't agree their own doctrines

Why? because most of whom you heard confessing that they's 'christians' aren't but pretenders. They claimed they are but they don't even know where was God when He had not yet created the heavens and the earth.

10. swarm Registered Senior Member

Thanks to being able to actually watch the brain make a decision now has shown that a fair number of decisions your (thinking) consciousness believes it is making have been made before the conscious mind became aware of them.

They can see that your arm is already moving towards your choice before your consciouness has become active and "decided" to pick that glass. The conscious explanation is just back fill so your consciousness feels good about what happens.

This is hardly suprising because consciousness is both very slow and linear. If you had to actually think about every choice you'd get eaten by jackels that were flown in just for that purpose.

Since the consciousness is just making crap up, asking it to make up crap about why it made up the first crap is just more crap. Pretty soon you are making up stories about god like Descatres.

Instead cut out the thinking about it all together and see what is happening. Let the quieter, more primative brains where shit is happening come to the for. Looking at one choice vs the other, do you salivate? Does your heart beat faster? What happens? Are you scared? Happy? What arrises at the sight, smell, placement?

For example when lost people often walk in circles and if you ask them about it they have all kinds of "reasons."

The truth is you naturally pick your dominant side to go around things and you continue forward once you clear the side instead of going back to the equivelant spot on the other side. Thus you drift into a loop.

Thinking about why won't help. You have to observe your actions.

11. swarm Registered Senior Member

You mean like you are a pretender?

12. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

That's a comparable idea to spiritual healing.

According to St. Francis we can not receive objective truth when we have self- awareness. To prevent self-awareness our thought processes and emotions must be held in check. As a result we can hear the voice of God by leaving ourselves aware of the truth. This requires submission.

Whereas you call this the "primitive nature", it doesn't come from a primitive mentality. The pre-conscious is not a lower intelligence. When it is properly focussed it is directed toward spiritual matters. It is not the sum-total of spirituality but only a component of spirtuality.

Everyone is wired differently, hence we can not compare "experience", but at least there is a starting point for explaining spirituality. The human mind is its own universe and it is larger than anyone knows. In actuality we only use about 5 to 10% of it. What's the other 90% doing?

BTW, I have been thinking about a web-forum to discuss the psychology of religion and philosophy of the mind

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  13. Saquist Banned Banned

I don't know why many Christians believe that it's not Jesus.
    It's very clear that it is him. Most of the reason would have to do with Tradition and error can occur in traditions.

ie. Christmas, Easter even some Christians that celebrate Passover when they don't have to. It's traditional and the worse part of traditions is many times you don't know why you keep doing them.

14. kerux Registered Senior Member

i'm not a false christian

I don't mean to hurt anybody's feelings, but I feel imaginary people must not ask true people. What should I pretend for? What pretension? A belief? My belief is nonsense to no-sense folks.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. swarm Registered Senior Member

Sorry but no, not really.