Foods and other things we eat that make us depressed

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by wynn, May 19, 2009.

1. EmeraldAxe Registered Senior Member

You find yourself in an alkalotic (sp) state after a meal, additionally there exists a parasympathetic response and shunting of blood to the GI tract. All of these things together contribute to a fatigue, perhaps not depression. There are a number of foods which alter brain chemistry and mimic depression.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Tell us more!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EmeraldAxe Registered Senior Member

It's not entirely accurate to say that certain foods can directly cause changes in the neurochemistry. I didn't mean to imply this. For example, it's not so simple to say, if you eat sprouts, you will be depressed six hours later!

It's more accurate to say that certain diets can lead to depression (in the long run). If your diet is missing certain nutrients (precursors to various neurotransmitters), you can develop depression (other symptoms would emerge as well). Obesity and depression go hand in hand (this does not mean obesity directly causes depression; the likely story is that the two feed off of each other and contribute to hormonal imbalances in a complicated positive feedback between the hypothalamus/pituitary/adrenal axis, negative self image promoted by an obese body, and the role of serotonin in both depression and appetite).

To understand depression fully, it helps to understand neurotransmitters, how the body creates neurotransmitters, and then how the body/brain regulate these chemicals (homeostasis).

I feel the evidence in the next few years will show a more clear link between obesity and depression (ie it will be more fair to say obesity is a factor disposing someone to depression), but as I said in my previous post, essentially overeating causes depression-like symptoms. These reasons in the short term have to do with the actual work done to process the foods and less with brain chemistry.

The best thing you can do to avoid depression in terms of nutrition is eat a balanced diet. Do not overeat (easier said than done in America).
    And exercise (exercising four times per week for 30-60 minutes is tantamount to taking half a dose of anti-depressants). Evidence I've seen actually makes a stronger case to exercise to avoid depression compared to eating. Strive to do both but changing diets is difficult (takes months), exercising you could do right now.

http://www.indianjpsychiatry.org/ar...sue=2;spage=77;epage=82;aulast=Sathyanarayana

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member