Fluoride in our water , a good thing ?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by river, Mar 27, 2013.

1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

It's long on anecdote, short on relevant data comparison (which should be fairly easy - hundreds of thousands of people in the US have been raised on private well water, especially in poorer and more rural areas such as the Ozarks and Appalachian Mountains. We could compare their dental and general health).

I also think the last few paragraphs arrive at its main point, and invite you to review them - for some reason I can't copy and paste as I would have preferred, and feel disinclined to go to the trouble of typing verbatim, but various aspects (such as the part about the global conspiracy to damage our pineal glands with flouride and thereby prevent us from accessing the Divine through its portal in that gland) seem explanatory to me.

The part about aluminum accumulation in the brain causing amyloid plaques in turn causing dementia reminded me of when that hypothesis was first put forward in the popular media - I recall that the supporting evidence was largely anecdotal, and although worth pursuing IMHO tended to be laden with stories like the one about the successful middle class guy who started collecting beverage cans from the roadside for scrap money and was in the habit of drinking the remaining liquid in them - soon after taking up this hobby, he began to show signs of dementia and was shortly afterwards diagnosed, which fate the story tellers ascribed to aluminum he ingested from the cans (since he had been healthy all his life until then).

There's nothing wrong with carefully checking up on the effects of flouridating tap water, and the imposition of flouridated water on an unwilling public has other issues than medical ones, but I do think the opponents of it tend to overlook stuff and get a bit excited in place of thoughtful.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Yes.
    I must have skipped over the bit about the Pineal Gland being our link to the Infinite.
    I wouldn't have linked to it. Overwrought to say the least.

The notion that Fluorine substitutes for Iodine in the thyroid seems more reasonable.
    I know that that substitution can happen in the body with same-group metal ions, but does it happen with anions?

If so, the problem would occur with Chlorine and Bromine as well, obviously.
    The antis are suggesting that Halogen poisoning is making the Thyroid malfunction, leading to increasing obesity rates.
    Nonsense?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

"While it is not yet known if fluoride accumulation affects pineal gland function, preliminary animal experiments found that fluoride reduced melatonin levels and shortened the time to puberty. (Luke, 1997)."

"Melatonin maintains the body’s circadian rhythm (sleep-wake cycle), regulates the onset of puberty in females, and helps protect the body from cell damage caused by free radicals."

"In the United States, children are reaching the age of puberty at earlier ages than in the past — a trend that carries health consequences, including a heightened risk for breast cancer. Some evidence indicates that fluoride, via its effect on the pineal, could be a contributing cause to this trend."

"Based on this and other evidence, the National Research Council has stated that “fluoride is likely to cause decreased melatonin production and to have other effects on normal pineal function, which in turn could contribute to a variety of effects in humans” (NRC, 2006, p. 256)"

http://www.fluoridealert.org/issues/health/pineal-gland/

edit:
    The minimum dose of fluoride that can kill a human being is currently estimated to be 5 mg/kg (5 milligrams of fluoride for each kilogram of body weight).

Most disturbing, however, is the fact that even bubble-gum and fruit-flavored toothpastes for children contain sufficient amounts of fluoride to kill a child. Indeed, as shown in the following table, an average-weighing 2-year-old child could die from ingesting just 40% of a “Colgate for Kids” bubble-gum flavored toothpaste.

http://www.fluoridealert.org/studies/acute01/

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rita Registered Member

I find the link hard to believe, considering I grew up drinking water with added fluoride and have enjoyed good health and good teeth.

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yeah, looks like a bunch of do-nothing handwaving to me. I figure this kind of thing was developed by the same "Chicken-Littles" that are anti-vaccinations, anti-GM foods, anti-this and anti-that. They are scared of their shadows and think EVERYTHING in the world is one huge conspiracy out to get them. <shrug> What a pitiful, deluded bunch they are.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Read for once i agree with you 100% I posted before the research into fluoride years and the latest one was released this year but still the idiots would rather run to the fringe rather than to serious research

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Thank you, sir. This doesn't happen often at all so we both must be right.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. leopold Valued Senior Member

the national research council has published a report on water fluoridation, it can be read at the following link:
    http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11571

edit:
    the EPA is apparently basing the current ratio for a 2 liter day/person.
    this is too low for the average adult, 1 gallon would be better.

the committee concluded:
    unanimously that the present MCLG of 4 mg/L for fluoride should be lowered.
    Exposure at the MCLG clearly puts children at risk of developing severe enamel fluorosis, a condition that is associated with enamel loss and pitting.
    Enamel fluorosis is a dose-related mottling of enamel that can range from mild discoloration of the tooth surface to severe staining and pitting. The condition is permanent after it develops in children during tooth formation, a period ranging from birth until about the age of 8.

more research is needed to clarify the relationship between fluoride ingestion, fluoride concentrations in bone, and stage of skeletal fluorosis before any conclusions can be drawn.

consensus among the committee that there is scientific evidence that under certain conditions fluoride can weaken bone and increase the risk of fractures. The majority of the committee concluded that lifetime exposure to fluoride at drinking-water concentrations of 4 mg/L or higher is likely to increase fracture rates in the population, . . .

the NRC did not do any reproductive or developmental research, it relied on outside sources for this data.

all of the above comes from the first 8 pages and the report is something like 400.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It is possible the Egyptians had fluoride in their water.

13. river

The thing is , is that fluoride is okay topically but not so much being ingested

14. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

They definitely had crocodiles in it.

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

And the crocodiles had good teeth

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Water is a good thing too, "but not so much being ingested" either. Drinking too much water can and has killed people too.

17. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I don't think that anyone has disagreed so far that it is added as a medicine.
    Probably to ameliorate the effects of unnatural amounts of sugar in the diet.
    Is that OK? Not sure.
    Ban Sugar versus Add Fluoride.
    It's a throw-up.
    Probably fewer political advocates for the Fluoride industry.

Most of the other charges against it seem paranoid.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013