Florida?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Bowser, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Is there a downside to living in the state of Florida? I'm thinking of moving there or to one of the Hawaiian Islands. Think I would like to keep my feet on the continent though, should I choose to move again.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asexperia Valued Senior Member

In the south of Florida there is sun all year round, but housing rent is expensive.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Of course! It is in the Land of Trump.

Only two more years to go and I can go back to visiting fair America again...

(actually, it'll probably be another generation before all the gun-totin', Bible-thumpin' xenophobes go back under their rocks.)

sideshowbob likes this.
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Hawaii is also currently in the Land of Trump.

I'm fairly sure it's possible to visit the US of A without having to cross paths with the man himself, however.

8. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Isn't it rather flat and boring in Florida? I suppose you have the Everglades, though, and coral reefs if you like diving.

9. sculptor Valued Senior Member

I lived in florida for a couple years circa 45 years ago.

It seemed that many old folks went to florida and then died shortly thereafter.
    There is a sociological psychological component to the relocation. After a lifetime of developing an identity and seeing that identity reflected in the eyes and minds of friends, coworkers, and family, the move removes that.
    Suddenly, these people found themselves without that identity. and many could not survive that loss of identity.

I suspect that moving for an activity rather that moving away from the cold may be key here.

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yeah. I broke my vow when I set foot in Alaska last year.

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

It's not called "God's Waiting Room" for nothin'.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

Hawaii has nice weather. though im not sure what will happen to it politically as land prices will continue to rise with inflation& exclusiveness.
    population control may become an issue which hits hard against wealth inequality.
    wealth inequality is a massive issue currently.
    pollution is also an issue which they may be trying to avoid dealing with as it likely impacts on land use which is all hotly contested and expensive.

the island requires a very high level of passive income for nothing to sustain its balance of hyper capitalism.

Florida
    Cyclones !
    Flooding.
    sewage system issues
    encroaching sea/water
    increasing land value disproportionate to the land long term usability value.

once your in there your stuck with only one way out and if that is blocked then your _ucked
    this makes you a target as much as a victim.
    what ever you buy in florida, make sure it doesn't matter if it gets wiped out in a cyclone & expect flooding.
    while in florida you are surrounded by water, you can not drink it.

Florida has no real income generation, this makes it subservient to the passive income of the retired.
    this income is subject to inflation losses and poor management by market regulators and the financial markets.

Florida probably cant afford too many city re-builds which is likely to turn it into rich slums after several citys have big hurricane damage a few decades down the road.
    with the Florida government bankrupt and the water lines and all food transport coming through a single entry point, the entire state is held to ransom by who ever control its northern business border.
    because of that the political management in Florida is likely to try and sit in the middle of the road and get pushed around by big government resulting in it being book shelved and left to slowly die from funds and services being cut off.
    Florida needs solid industry that doesn't get wiped out by a big hurricane.

have you ever stayed in a summer holiday town over winter ?
    its a completely different reality.

for this reason and the usa national government military investment into Hawaii, i would put Hawaii slightly ahead(however ...not ahead enough to choose one over the other).
    having only 1 place to go when shit goes south when it means your going to dive head long into the zombie apocalypse is not a better option than having no where to go like in Hawaii.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_in_Florida

13. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

FCS, don't tell him! Trump thinks Hawaii is in Africa.

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  14. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Southern Florida is the canary in the coal mine.

15. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

all that mexican wall money could go to building sea walls, waive breaks, artificial reefs to breed fish stocks & inside gulf deep sea safe harbour ports for shipping & recreation.
    it would be able to make money & jobs & create long term food security.

ideologically retirees are viewed by right wing capitalists as a cost that must be cut back every year
    so national funding triggers extreme greed, selfish decisiveness & political provincial political war

16. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

I did a paper on artificial reefs for the oceanography class I took at Purdue. They provide shelter, the fish were investigating them within an hour of the material hitting the bottom. But it takes a while for a development ecosystem. I don't know that we have that much time.

RainbowSingularity likes this.