Flipping Hum Vees

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Collision, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Collision Registered Senior Member

I want to get opinions on this. They say it's bad for a scientist to isolate himself and his theories, where scrutiny cannot happen. I think Americans who drive Hum Vees look like idiots. Why? One, Hum Vees are a waste of energy resources. And two, they are the vehicles being used to transport those murdering the Iraqis. So, I make sure I give these idiots driving them a peice of my mind in public. Do you think this is an appropriate statement to make to them? Do you think it's an appropriate thing to promote within liberal America?

Flip a HumVee!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Yes american's who drive around the neighborhood in Hum Vees are very likely idiots.

Causing destruction for a bad and illogical reason is the same sin you'd claim the Americans in Iraq are guilty of.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

Hit them where it counts... their ego.
    just tell them the truth, they have some inadequacy issues and they are probably just making up for the fact that they don’t "measure up" if you know what I mean. and then explain how suburbanite yuppies only drive them, and that they look like a Tonka truck.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

Then I guess it's okay for me to drive both of my gas-guzzling, road dominating Broncos! Sign me just a dumb hillbilly, Mensa member idiot!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oh! Nevermind the tourists I pull out of ditches, snowbanks, etc., every year - without charge.

8. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

You seem to actually have a reason though. Besides being a dumb hillbilly I mean

Yet I'd be amazed if even 10% of Humvee owners did anything that requires such a big vehicle. It's a status symbol, not a utility vehicle.

9. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

my neighbor owns his own spa business, so he needs his hummer to tow around spas and jacuzzis. But other than towing things, i dont see much purpose in having a hummer. except for wasting gas, taking up space, being a disgrace to the original hummer, looking ugly, etc... :m:

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i say...molotov cocktail all humvees...preferably with the owner still in it...

11. Collision Registered Senior Member

I didn't think of it. Those people we are talking about who drive Hum Vees do fit the class of the unintellgent. Good thread move.

12. phlogistician Banned Banned

I'd like a Humvee, but for the fact we haven't got enough space to park one, and gas is too expensive in the UK to run one.

Me and the GF will have to make do with our 2.7l turbo diesel 4x4 instead.

People gripe about 4x4's etc, and they are prefectly able to express their opinions. I however, am perfectly able to ignore those very opinions too.

See, it's all about selfishness. People who bark on about 4x4's and emissions, are often the breeders that drive their precious tribe a mile to school, and in that time, the catalytic converter on their car doesn't have time to get hot enough to work, and so, are actually polluting more than the figures on the handbook of their sensible little runabout would have them believe. But instead of letting the brats walk, they just pollute, but bark at what they see as worse offenders. Well screw them.

I don't have kids, and don't want any, so like I care if the atmosphere needs saving for somebody elses brats.

Breeders are selfish, I'm selfish. Screw us all. But especially screw whining little people in little cars.

13. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

Denali's, Suburbans, H2's and etc are all actually worse handling on slick roads - too high centered and too heavy, a Audi Quattro or Subuaru can spin donuts around one of them on an icy road. I drove the snowiest pass in Colorado every day in the winter for 12 years, in all manner of vehicles. We used to play SUV bingo, marking off the name of each kind we saw off in a ditch: "Ok . . . I see a Surburban! . . . . I see an Expedition -- BINGO!"

Now, if you were off in two feet of mud or snow, clearly the clearance of a big vehicle would be advantageous. But we are mostly talking city/suburb people here - they may have macho fantasies about needing than Denali or Hummer on that ski trip into Vermont or Colorado - but in reality what they run into is not massive drifts of snow, but *slick* roads, on which their chosen vehicles are actually MORE dangerous to themselves and others.

The vehicles themselves, mostly, do have a use. I used to be a Wilderness Guide in CO in the summertimes, and took Suburbans full of Texans on 4x4 trips - and that was a good use of such a vehicle. But for driving every with just 1-2 people in them, to work, shopping and etc? Pretty absurd.

The H2 is one of those vehicles where you can be pretty sure that anybody driving one is basically saying ''Fuck You" to everybody else. So - I always am sure to say it back!

I also am a fan of a new sport, SUV Tagging - where you get good SUV's and take photos of your handywork. There are rules - like don't get the ones which are clearly used for regular off-roading, agricultural or construction work and etc. And be careful because the type of folks that drive an H2 are generally the types of folks who carry guns and are willing to kill you for putting a sticker on their dream-phallus -- I mean "car''.

Here is a good site with stickers to print:

http://www.idontcareaboutair.com/bumpers/create.shtml

14. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

Let's get real. There's a reason for everything. A 4x4 with studded tires like my '79 Bronco (which is only driven when needed) can be very helpful when elderly neighbors (we're a retirement community, and I'm 66) need prescriptions, mail, groceries, etc., and going to town means going uphill on ice in the winter.

I'm certainly not going to defend Hollywood stars, including Arnold, or Park Avenue socialites who think they need Humvees. Nor will I defend the tree-huggers who say we should buy $50,000-$70,000 four passenger, environmentally friendly "pedal-cars" just because they get 100mpg!

15. towards Relax...head towards the light Registered Senior Member

People driving the Humvess are probably the same ones who would bitch the hardest when Bruce or Buffy are sent off to fight a war in Iraq. It would never occur to them that their giant, stupid, useless, gas sucking vehicle and its insatiable appetite for petro is the primary reason for such a ridiculous war.

16. top mosker Ariloulaleelay Registered Senior Member

17. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

Well yeah, I am being quite 'real', thank you.

Again, 12 years of driving the snowiest mountain pass in Colorado - 5 to 7 days a week in the winter, and summers of driving 4x4 wilderness adventures . . . I'm not just putting out an opinion. I know for a fact and through experience the strengths and weaknesses of various vehicles in various conditions.

And again - those same studded snow tires an AWD *CAR* (like an Audi Quattro or Subaru) will generally get you places faster and more safely on slick roads than your Bronco will -I know they don't LOOK as rugged/tough/studly though

But again, I'm not saying its all black and white - if you need to drive through 2 feet of snow/slush/mud . . . that Bronco will do better, and if you do a lot of that, then its a much better choice then an AWD car ---- in spite of it being not as good at cornering, stopping, staying upright on slick roads as one of the cars. If you need to haul a trailer or something, tow people regularly - an SUV is a better choice.

And I'll bet your '79 Bronco gets better than the 8-9 MPG some of the absurd newer SUV's do! (And they get a F**King TAX BREAK for buying them!) We never put stickers on older or obviously hard used SUV's.

18. Roman Banned Banned

I've spent two years riding a mountain bike (those only have 2 wheels, and 1 wheel drive) in Alaskan winters.

4 wheel drive is far mor important than being big. Gravity said it; trucks have bad centers of gravity. We've got an old Toyata forerunner and it needs like 200 pounds of sand in the back to keep it down.

Besides, big trucks are a status symbol, like all the pricks driving in LA with mammoth hummers on 8 lane highways. What are they trying to say? I'm a badass because I like to consume gas?

You poor saps wouldn't need a massive truck if you were as hardcore as me

19. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

You show consideration, Gravity, and I thank you.

I get about 12mpg in the '79/400cid Bronco, and (I checked it recently) 12.57mpg in my '89/302cid/EFI Bronco. I bought my '79 when I lived on a mountainside north of Conifer, CO in the mountains. I think I know snow.

Here in the Missouri Ozarks, we're at a latitude that gets more ice than snow, although a foot or so of snow isn't unheard of. Down here at lake side, most of the five miles to town is uphill. When things get bad, and they do, mail and propane can't be delivered (several of us ran out two years ago). But I was able to get groceries, kerosene space heaters and stuff for my immediate neighbors, a widow, a widower, an older retired couple and a young couple trying to make a start in the resort business. And this year promises to be bad.

Like I said, I'm not going to defend Hollywood stars or Park Avenue socialites who just want status symbols. But there's a real use for a vehicle that can haul five passengers or 1000 pounds of bagged cement or, if you take the top off, an upright refrigerator.

Audi Quattros and Subarus are faster and safer in snow and ice? Nothing is faster and safer in adverse road conditions than an experienced and careful driver. I've had some of those dumb sh*ts pass me only to show up in the ditch a few curves down the road. And I'll confess that I've passed some of those folks up. I figure that if they can afford an expensive car like that and then drive stupidly in snow, they can afford a cell phone and wait for the only tow truck in town. Some of those cars sat in ditches for a couple of days before Lakeside Auto could get their tow truck around to them.

20. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

Oh yeah, definately a great driver an some POS like a Denali or H2 with street tires is going to do better than a crappy driver in an Impreza with snow tires. But put equal drivers vs each other an H2 vs an Impreza on a slick highway, the Impreza will dust the Hummer. But put them against each other in a mud pit - and of course the H2 will win. But again, 99% of the people driving never drive in really deep junk - just on slick roads. AND they are generally crappy drivers to boot . . . so they really put themselves and everybody else in danger.

Conifer, CO? Cool! Yeah, it must get nearly 1/4 the snow we got every year at Wolf Creek!

21. phlogistician Banned Banned

Interesting comparisons being made on this thread, between Hummer and Subaru owners. Now, the Hummer isn't often spotted in the UK, so I don't know much about those owners, but Subarus are fairly popular, and I've met a fair few Subaru owners. Most of them have been young, dumb, and drive like complete twats.

People rattle on about 4x4 owners not needing a vehicle that size, well, same goes for Subarus etc. Nobody 'needs' a car that can do twice the speed limit. So all we're doing is chucking mud at each others luxury vehicles, and you wouldn't spot a little extra mud on ours, so thrrrrrp!

We nearly bought a Subaru estate actually. But it just wasn't big enough for two adults, two large dogs, our camping gear, canoe, surfboards etc.

22. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

Well, sounds like the type of ''twat'' who lives in the UK is into buying the sport versions of a Subaru. Do they do stupid stuff like put decals on them, fins and such?

Thats an entirely different deal then what I'm talking about. I'm talking not talking about the types of cars (or drivers) that often are doing twice the speed limit. Most of the ones you see around here are used as family cars.

There is nothing to debate here. Ask a Rally racer. Lower center of gravity and less weight means better stopping and cornering on slick roads (even at low speeds) - and less chance of roll-over. Again, if somebody legitimately needs the clearance and space - then a bigger vehicle is more appropriate. But for ferrying two people up to the ski slopes? Not.

23. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Collision: "Flip a HumVee!"

You can also revel in flipping their owners off at fuh2.com