Flax seed oil... DANGER

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Mosheh Thezion, Dec 17, 2005.

1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

this thread is an atrocity!

Here what I found:

M. Donaldson, “Nutrition and cancer: A review of the evidence for an anti-cancer diet,” Nutrition Journal, vol. 3, 2004, p. 19. <http://www.nutritionj.com/content/3/1/19>

Other researchers have tested flax seed and prostate cancer. In an animal model using mice, Lin et al [77] found that a diet supplemented with 5% flax inhibited the growth and development of prostate cancer in their experimental mouse model. A pilot study of 25 men who were scheduled for prostatectomy surgery were instructed to eat a low-fat diet (20% or less of energy intake) and to supplement with 30 g of ground flaxseed per day. During the follow-up of an average of 34 days there were significant changes in serum cholesterol, total testosterone, and the free androgen index [78]. The mean proliferation index of the experimental group was significantly lower and apoptotic indexes higher compared to historical matched controls. Ground flax seed may be a very beneficial food for men battling prostate cancer.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

This article is a thorough examination of the pros and cons (I think).

I want to know why oxidation of butter is bad?

I personally only tkae one supplement and that's Omega 3 fish oil capsules. One in the morning. But, as I usually eat a lot of fish (only red meat maybe once every couple of weeks) maybe I'll dish this as well?

I didn't realize mayo is so f*cking processed. That sucks. I only use balsamic vinegar on salads so I don't care about salad dressing but the mayo thing pisses me off!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lightgigantic Banned Banned

and think again ....

http://www.healthy-oil-planet.com/flaxseed-oil-prostate-cancer.html

so finally

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Damn!

I thought Mosheh was back. Haven't seen him around in ages.

8. humvee2020 Registered Member

Flax Seed Danger Is BS...Here's Why

For those of you bashing flaxseed oil as a cause of prostate cancer, you are WRONG.

I'm 39. I have prostate cancer with surgery scheduled next week. While I waited for the damage from my biopsy to clear (about 8 weeks), I went on a major alkaline diet plus cottage cheese mixed with flaxseed oil. I consumed 12 tablespoons of flaxseed oil per day.

In 8 weeks I reduced my psa level. My tumor is confined to the prostate, which was shown by endorectal mri.

IF flaxseed oil was going to have an impact, it would have done so to me, but my numbers improved and my cancer did not progress outside my gland, not to mention this is the best I've felt in 5 years with puffiness gone from my face, 15 pounds of weight loss and tons of energy with no coffee.

So look at all the studies you want, I'm living it and did it and it worked great. I will continue after my prostate is out to consume flaxseed oil.

You would be better served by going against omega 6 fatty acids, fast foods, smoking, drugs or something else where there is an abundance of evidence that it affects a person negatively.

9. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

omg you guys i have evidence that breathing may cause cancer!!!

I've done everything i can do here! You're a great audience, try the veal.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Moshe, you need to understand that you truly are being a scaremonger. This is a place of science and you are simply not practicing science. The evidence supporting your hypothesis is nowhere near extensive enough to warrant drawing such a firm conclusion.

If you personally have a hunch that flaxseed oil will eventually be proven toxic and your own regimen of risk management guides to you preemptively eliminate it from your diet rather than waiting to find out if your hunch is true, then that is certainly your right, and to exercise it is not even totally irrational. But to attempt to convince everyone else to behave as you do rather than waiting to find out if someone else's hunch is true, is bullying and you must stop it. We will each come to our own conclusion about the risk of flaxseed oil, based upon the extremely scant evidence that you have provided and anything else we can dig up for perspective. And then we will each decide how to balance that risk against the other risks that flaxseed oil mitigates. That is how risk management is performed.

I eat a cup of wild blueberries every day and take ground flaxseed and cod liver oil as supplements.

I notice that one of the references mentions the risk of a combination of flaxseed oil supplements with a low-fat diet. I eat a high-fat diet (while maintaining a healthy weight and doing my best to stay away from transfats) so I guess that means I have less to worry about.

I'm at an age now that if I were diagnosed with prostate cancer I'd probably still die from some other cause before it became critical.

11. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

I’m glad your prostate cancer has reduced, but your singular anecdotal story does not count as any sort of scientific evidence. But thank you for inviting us to look at properly designed studies rather than anecdotal stories. We will do so as these are what science and medicine use to guide policy on the safety of compounds.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I take ground flaxseed as a supplement, but I couldn't remember why. So I gave up and asked Mrs. Fraggle, my resident expert on health and nutrition. She just laughed and said, "You have the memory of a gnat. Don't you remember why I told you not to take flaxseed oil? That's the reason you buy a sack of whole flaxseed from a farm in South Dakota, keep it in a dark dry place, keep a cup of it in a dark dry place in the kitchen, and every day you measure out one teaspoon of seeds, grind them up in a spice grinder, mix them in water, and swallow it."

It's because flaxseed oil is very unstable and goes RANCID easily. You can't keep it around for more than a few days or it starts to go bad. And RANCID OIL is generally acknowledged as a carcinogen.

So flaxseed oil in and of itself isn't bad for you, and in fact (at least arguably) it's good for you. The problem is that it has virtually no shelf life and when it goes bad it becomes carcinogenic.

So the O.P. is correct: don't take flaxseed oil that's already been processed. Buy it whole like I do and grind it up every day. And keep it dark and dry. She even gives it to the dogs.

13. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

And of course, one of the reasons you take it is that it improves your memory...ahem, I think not.

14. PhiloBedo Registered Member

Here's what WebMD actually says...

Please read through to the end.

Prostate cancer. Research studies don’t agree about the role of the flaxseed oil ingredient, alpha-linolenic acid, in prostate cancer. Some epidemiologic research suggests that high dietary intake of alpha-linolenic acid is linked with an increased risk for prostate cancer. Other research suggests high intake or high blood levels of alpha-linolenic acid is not linked with the overall risk of prostate cancer; however, extra alpha-linolenic acid might make existing prostate cancer worse. The source of alpha-linolenic acid appears to be important. Alpha-linolenic acid from dairy and meat sources has been positively linked with prostate cancer. Alpha-linolenic acid from plant sources, such as flaxseed or flaxseed oil, does not affect prostate cancer risk.

15. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Exactly. Nevertheless, I have stopped recommending flax seed oil to my male patients (omega 3's are thought to help with dry eye and macular degeneration) and now suggest fish oil.

16. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

Err..., I think I'll pass. But for those who are looking for pure flax seed oil, go to the paint section of your local hardware store. It's called linseed oil. Very handy to preserve wood, mix your own oil based paint, or if you're in an extreme do it yourself mood, you can try to make your own linoleum.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oh, and it also is useful for accidently starting fires in rags. That almost happened for me once. The rag actually charred black in the middle.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!