Five most important events in US History

Discussion in 'History' started by §outh§tar, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Cifo Day destroys the night, Registered Senior Member

After America had won its independence, Pedro Pablo Abarca de Bolea (the 10th Count of Aranda) wrote a letter to his Spanish king in which he uttered this prophecy about America:

1. Bill of Rights — Essential freedoms and a bold beginning which would allow this "pygmy" to become a "colossus".

2. Territorial acquisitions west of Mississippi River & of Alaska / The Westward Expansion / Homesteading — Securing and populating the continent, including both coasts.

3. The Patent Act of 1790 — For the promotion of the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries.

4. The Emancipation Proclamation — For whatever reason, America was slow relative to the rest of the world to recognize this basic human right in all people.

5. The first manned landing on the moon -OR- The first use of nuclear weapons on people — A massive, stunning and first-time-a-success scientific endeavor unique to America and yet to be duplicated by any other country for at least 40 years. One we wish other nations all the best in attempting, the other we wish never again to do or even to witness.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

1. drafting of the constitution.
    2. the bill of rights.
    3. the civil war.
    4. pearl harbor.
    5. moon landing.

that's your job.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jmpet Valued Senior Member

The concept of inalieable rights, which turned into the Declaration of Independence.

Andrew Jackson finishing off the British for good in New Orleans, for once and for all.

The US involvement in World War Two

The 1950's boom from/of/thanks to mass production

The end of the Cold War

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

1) Nuking children
    2) Nuking children, in a different city
    3) Nuking women
    4) Nuking women, in a different city
    5) Nuking old ladies in two separate cities.

8. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Who cares what there gender was? They all died screaming just the same. Does gender matters when radiation is causing your skin to burn off a week latter? When you have 10 days of of constant vomiting before you die?

Don't think having tits and internal reproductive organs made there deaths anymore horrific

10. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

The point is, the nuking of Hiroshima and Nagasaki's women and children was one of, (if not THE most) the most significant events in US history as it marked the transition from pestered isolationists, to global meddlers.

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Once again, who cares if they have tits?

12. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Jim Bridger

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

unlike you, most people feel that women and children are the most vulnerable a lot of societies. Especially in WWII Japan.

14. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Maybe might want to make that point with the Oil Embargo on Japan. Or the Embargo on Germany in WWI. ...hmm actually Jefferson(the king of "isolationalism") performed an embargo himself that lead to the war of 1812.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I want to change Civil war to inventing birth control

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Unlike you I don't think a vagina makes you in any way special. Women want equality right up till it is detrimental to them. And I think radiation sickness makes EVERYONE pritty vunerable, if anything men are more vunerable because the testies are more exposed than the overies but when your talking about 4 grays as far away as 1km it doesn't matter what gender you are your just fucked and having balls doesn't protect you at all

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

And the US can claim this how? The first evidence of birth control I believe were condoms from the Roman empire. Forget is they were sheep or goat intestines or skin or what but *shrug*

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

we are talking WWII Japan you dork. How many women were in combat in the Pacific theatre? The bombs were dropped on civilians in cities where most of the population was not fighting aged men. Kill a bunch of soldiers, so what. Kill a bunch of civilian women and children, its a big deal. DUH!
    Jeez, you sure do get bent over vaginas and tits.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

really? I have to say birth control pill for you. Fine Asguard, the inventing the birth control pill for women with tits and vaginas.

20. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Except the "lesson" in Korea wasn't about avoiding participation in somebody else's civil war. That part of the Korean War was a stunning success, for the USA. The instructive part was where the great power next door then intervened in response to said dramatic success (indeed, some historians go so far as to suggest that the Korean War was engineered by Mao exactly as a pretext for a confrontation between the PLA and US forces).

And to that, you'll notice some very salient differences in how Sino-US relations figured into the outcomes of the wars in question. We got out of Vietnam exactly by flipping China to our side. In Korea we pursued an overtly hostile relationship with China and, lo and behold, our troops are still there.

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Wrong again, the first group to discover that steroidal hormons inhibited ovulation were a EROUPEAN pharmaceutical company, probably full of the kinds of MEN you think are so unimportant that it doesn't matter if you nuke them.

22. Bells Staff Member

To explain this..

The majority of those in those cities were women and children and elderly - ie they were innocent and unarmed civilians as most of the abled bodied males were fighting in the war.

The weapons were not dropped on soldiers in battle. They were dropped on their wives and children and parents back home. Can you see the distinction?

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Bells your arguing in another thread that civillans are by definition innocent and yet here you want to argue that to be innocent you have to have a pair of tits, okay lets test that.

Rank the legitimacy of targets: single parent father with his kid at junior football, Pauline Hanson (okay just threw her in for kicks), gillard and that female US army truck driver who so much resorces was spent rescuing in Iraq