Fish oil supplements don't prevent heart attacks, study says

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by KilljoyKlown, Sep 16, 2012.

1. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

In response to a comment made by BillyT, I found the following article. I personally don't want to believe the negative studies and would very much want to know who funded those studies. My guess is Big Pharma as they have the most to lose if fish oil reduces heart problems.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

The thing is, metabolism is a *very* tricky thing. And it's because of that, I think, that many supplements simply do not produce the sometimes expected results.

For a great example of what I'm talking about consider this: Doctors and medical science in general, discovered long ago that a huge number of people in the U.S. were suffering from a calcium deficiency. So the natural result was that people were told to eat more foods that contained calcium AND take calcium supplements. Did the supplements work? Absolutely not! It was only much later that it was discovered that in order for the body to get the benefit of extra calcium intake that they also had to take vitamin D-3 supplements. THEN it worked.

So I agree with Dr. Kara's approach - he tells his patients to eat fatty fish in at least two meals a week. It's quite likely that there is another nutrient (just like the D-3 in the case of calcium) that makes the omega-3 active in the people with long longevity that eat a lot of natural fatty fish.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yes, all by itself, it might not produce the desired result. But if you are already on a program of taking a wide range of vitamin and mineral supplements it would seem prudent to add Omega 3 supplements. Also, if you went to the OP link and read some of the comments. Nothing convinces like positive results, like having much reduced triglyceride levels a few months after starting on Omega 3 supplements.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

They also said that the fact that more Americans are eating more fish regularly may have confounded the study results. :shrug:

8. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yes that is a problem with just about all supplements. They just don't get the funding. Drug companies just won't invest in studies that have little profit potential and governments always seem to find other things to spend their money on.

9. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Agreed. We do not finance important space missions because we refuse to spend the $200 million, but we then turn around and hire 2 football players for that same amount. :shrug:

10. elte Valued Senior Member

I'm still wondering if there will be a statement released from someone to the effect that unfortunately, folks, north Pacific-sourced fish has been radioactive because of Fukushima. Maybe I'm worried over nothing...

11. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Probably. Has that stopped you from eating fish? I would guess not, but if the worry persist buy yourself a Geiger counter and take a load off your mind.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yes, I did go to the link and yes, I also read the comments. And although I normally agree that, as the Irish expression goes, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating" it's very unwise to apply such faith under circumstances as this. The reason being that body chemistry can and does vary widely between individuals.

Have you ever paused to wonder why a specific medication worked perfectly for Sally but not for Jane? Plus the fact that it actually killed Mary when her doctor prescribed it for her? The reason is quite simple - it's those variations in body chemistry. That's the source of "side-effects" and precisely why a drug doesn't have the exact same effect on all of us.

So when an individual says that a certain thing worked for them, take it with a grain of salt - better yet, make that a few pounds of salt!

Individual results are HIGHLY suspect. And that's exactly why any clinical trial involves as many people as possible and they try to adhere to strict protocols. The experiences of individuals should not be treated as reliable in any sense. There are NO protocols or controls in place. Things can vary widely. For instance, they may have changed their diet, a spouse may have stopped smoking (eliminating the second-hand effect), they moved from a highly urban area to a rural one, etc., etc.

So don't allow yourself to be fooled by "personal positive results."

13. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yep, and that's only half of the problem. Since supplements are not under the control of the FDA (while drugs are) there are no standards, no proof of effectiveness and the makers are free to make any reasonable OR outlandish claim they wish.

The ONLY thing they have to be careful about is crossing the line to the point that they present their product AS a drug such as D'Loreal recently did. Other than that, the sky is the limit for false claims.

14. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Someone else's personal results 'NO'. But my own personal results are hard to ignore. Most supplements are not dangerous if you follow the directions and I don't have a problem giving them a fair chance to work some positive results.

15. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I must admit that I am very happy that my HDL/LDL ratio is "ideal" according to my doc. I have been using the fish oil for many years, recently switched from the basic fish oil caps to the high - DHA omega 3's due to Dr Oz suggestion that those are more beneficial.

Also, I take those as part of an extremely healthy diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish and lean meat. I do not use salt, avoid bad fats and refined carbohydrates, get lots of daily exercise and plenty of rest. The only script I have is 300 mg irbisartin (angiotension type 2 receptor agonist) for borderline hypertension. A wrap - around head x - ray a few years ago for some dental work showed absolutely no plaque at all in my carotid arteries - not a speck. Doc said if I had any at all, that is where it would show up and it didn't.

I do like grilled salmon too though, would eat that even if it didn't save my life or anything.

16. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

17. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Not to belabor the point but I seriously doubt if many people actually have regular blood tests, bone scans, etc. to check their "personal results." They just go by 'feeling' - which are completely worthless as far as judging results go. Seriously.

And your statement about "most supplements" is a fair one, however that pretty obviously says something about the REST of them, now doesn't it?

Personally, I don't trust the "Supplement Industry" at all because there are simply far TOO many bogus products on the market. When it comes to *MY* health, I'm only going with things that have been tested and certified by a agency completely independent of the producers. I think it's pure nonsense to put your faith in letting the fox guard the henhouse - which is exactly what the VAST majority of supplement buyers are doing. Just keep that in mind.

18. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

How true. The question I have, is why don't we have an independent organization for evaluating supplements? It's a multibillion dollar industry, seems like the government needs to protect it's population and ours is not doing it's job.