First Americans... Caucasians?

Discussion in 'History' started by android, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

What's all this crap about calling whites Caucasians? Why aren't white people ever satisfied with who they are? Are they from the Caucus Mountains now? Imagine in 200 years time when a teacher asks a kid where white people come from and he says the Caucus Mountains.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Thats like saying Ohio State Buckeyes are really Buckeyes( Go buckeyes!)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. te jen Registered Senior Member

Or calling them "white", for that matter. Define "white'. Then try to define it at the edges, like in Iberia, or Persia, or at the genetic level. Reducto ad absurdam.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. philosopher´s stone Banned Banned

Religious people invented the term - Noahs Ark was supposed to have stranded in the Caucasian mountains - and the white caucasians were the tribe of Japheth , son of Noah .......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It's the Caucasus Mountains. The region known as the Caucasus includes the lowlands around the mountains. The Caucasus can also be called Caucasia but I've never seen it used in modern writing.

9. philosopher´s stone Banned Banned

10. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

anyway,

from what I understand, they would not have sailed the open ocean, the theory is that they gradually migrated along the ice that connected north America and Europe, hunting seals, polar bears, or whatever is there. so the migration may have taken more than a lifetime. they kill most of the large animals in one area, and move west until they find land.

here is where I heard about it:
    http://www.pbs.org/saf/1406/video/watchonline.htm

11. RickyH Valued Senior Member

I heard they were fishermen, and slowly migrated south from the bearing straight, in search of game.

But then again i've also heard the mormon side of it, which is a little off in my own opinion.

But the point of the matter is any theorys on who settled here first is purely speculation. About the only thing people have agreed on is that most indian tribes have a genetic connection to people from parts of asia.

12. blobrana Registered Senior Member

A team led by two Texas A&M University anthropologists now believes the first Americans came to this country 1,000 to 2,000 years earlier than the 13,500 years ago previously thought, which could shift historic timelines.
    The team’s findings are outlined in a review article in “Science” magazine titled “The Late Pleistocene Dispersal of Modern Humans in the Americas,” which synthesises new data suggesting the migration from Alaska started about 15,000 years ago.

Read more

13. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

It is VERY hard to say. For instance Kennewick man might have just been an "Adventurer", that really did travel 1000s of leagues. I find it amazing modern man cannot comprehend these types of journey's because even modern man likes to do crazy shit like that and our ancestor's were certainly more adventurous than we are now.

What *I* find interesting is mass grave coverups. Large skeletons in mass graves - red hair, really not fitting the NorthAmerican profile for 4000BC. This kind of find is much more indicitive of a "local" than Kennewick man(whom was equiped for travel). Kennewick man suffered a lot of abuse, which makes me think he was an outsider even more. Though one particularly nasty wound, he probably could not have treated himself and he survived it(arrow to the thigh -embedded to the bone- I believe). So someone probably helped him, again I just suspect another companion adventurer like himself.

I really resent calling Kennewick man "White" or "European". Whatever culture or people he came from is pretty far removed from the sterotypes these words conjure in modern culture and lexicon. Yeah, he probably looked like a modern "white" man. His skin(and modern "white" people) was probably light brown. We are all so many shades of brown.

14. iceaura Valued Senior Member

"Coverups" are very rare in this kind of field - exaggerations of small incongruities are more common.

Hair sometimes turns red in graves. A local mutation for red hair would have found unusually cooperative circumstances among the early wanderers into North America. Not that I'm making claims -just pointing out that life is strange.

My own guess is that coastline and inland waterway boat travel has been underestimated as a dispersal mechanism into North America.

15. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Not in the 1800s it wasn't and can easily be carried on(Smithsonian). We are supposed to believe the official line that these people just "forgot" how to work metal, instead of an ancient times massacre.

16. draqon Banned Banned

well the theory is that they crossed the now gone ice bridge from Asia/what is now Russia. So basically the original Americans were actually Russians!

17. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

and jesus was actually a russian too!, in fact everything good that ever came from anything in the world was russian!

18. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Didn't "Russia" startup in the 1600s from Scandanavian ancestors?

Yeah I hate equating a modern nationality to people whom lived 6000 years ago...anywhere.

19. draqon Banned Banned

well Scandinavians were one of the mixes. But Russia as a united country was born in 900 A.D after Christianity became the main religion...before that the Russians believed in many Gods such as Perun

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

RUssians always lived in their own land, they were the original tribes across the land who were mixed with everyone who decided to join us like Scandinavians.

20. draqon Banned Banned

yeah ok I sense sarcasm there

21. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

NO....not at all

22. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

What we need is a National Musuem of Crackpot Theories.

(We can have an enitre exhibit filled with people who think they've proven Einstein wrong. Preferably those people should be stuffed and posed, like in a Natural History Museum.)

Museums are just bad places to try to suss out the standard theories from less accepted conjectures. If you are constantly bombarding visitors (who, remember are looking at dozens or even hundreds of exhibits that day, not all of them in depth) with both the generally accepted versions and with conjectures, it's hard to keep them straight. People wandering away would probably not be able to keep them straight, and the result would be people spreading the conjectures as if they were the generally agreed upon norm.

Classrooms are a better place to deal with controveries.

23. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

The Smithsonian MADE the accepted norms. (while carefully "losing" all kinds of arifacts that fall outside the official-politically acceptable, story)