Final Words?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Bowser, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

One disappointment in life is that people around me have died without leaving any final words. They have the foresight to leave a Will, but never do they share their insight as a final gesture. I don't want to go out quietly and know I can write my own eulogy without much effort.

Would you bother writing your final words for family and friends? Even if you're feeling healthy now, would it be worth the time to write them down?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I see no reason to object. IMO, families with long and accurate histories tend to strive to live up to their responsibilities. The British Royal Family is witness to such history. It's not always pretty, but if it makes Masterpiece Theatre it's usually very interesting...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Every family history is interesting.
    My mother was a story-teller and so I'm lucky enough to have fond memories of a dozen or so relatives and even more random other people I've never met.
    I'm a little sorry I have nobody to pass them on to: all these people who have continued to be real many decades beyond their own lifespan will die with me....
    ...unless I write their stories. I've been considering it.
    My own little insights, witticisms and smartassing have already been immortalized in the world-wide-webbing.
    I'll write my own epitaph on a piece of paper in my pocket when I'm cremated.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Seems like a complete waste of time. Movies and television make the final words uttered by a person a big deal, but that is just theatrical bull shit.

I suppose I could bury $100,000 in my back yard and hope I can time my final words to tell my family. Or better yet just utter 'Rosebud..." as my final words, so they could get a laugh.
    I mean if you have something important to say, then say it before you are on your death bed.

sideshowbob and Jeeves like this.
  8. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

"Sharing insight" sounds pretentious to me. Share your insight when you're alive so people can question it.

Writing down your reminiscences makes sense though. Better yet, make a website.

9. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Use Facebook of course. lol

joepistole and sideshowbob like this.
  10. sculptor Valued Senior Member

joepistole likes this.
  11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I believe that anything one might want to say to friends, family and loved ones upon one's death ... should really said while one is still alive.

sculptor likes this.
  12. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

This seemed pretty somber.

sideshowbob, origin and sculptor like this.
  13. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Sure I am up to volume five☺
    No nothing to say.
    Alex

14. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Oh I don't know.

I've always thought Spike Milligan's final words, as inscribed (in Gaelic) on his tombstone, were rather good: "I told you I was ill!"

15. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Death can be sudden. To sit down and thoughtfully write your parting words seems like a good idea. It's an opportunity to reflect on your life. I suppose if you have nothing good to say about it, perhaps you shouldn't say anything.

16. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

"They know everything! Run!"

17. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Are you here, Chris? And Timothy? Yes? And Maria? You're all here?
    Who's minding the store!??

18. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Lots of things seem like a good idea☺
    So what will you say?
    Offer advice? List regrets? List your moments of joy?

Seems un necessary to me and hints at being a little full of oneself.

Wouldnt a note cause more upset to those who are mourning?
    Alex

19. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Some people make a video, where they talk directly to their family or friends, maybe with a message for each one, or just to say how the dying person feels about/regards them, how he feels about leaving them, farewells, etc. That can be a nice memento mori. Widows/widowers are often reluctant to change the recording on their answering machine, because it's the only way they get to hear their lost spouse's voice; having a special recording might help them over that first awful part of mourning.
    A letter might have a similar effect: a means of keeping in touch a little while longer.
    It doesn't matter what you say, really - much more articulate people have written much better exit lines - what matters is whether you help the people who love you and will miss you.

20. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

I wish I hadn't killed that man. ☺

21. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I will tell them to drink, dance and have a party, to celebrate the life that was mine. Don't spill one tear. Though my life looked quite ordinary, it was quite amazing.

22. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

I think I'll poop myself when I die.

23. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Revenge or fear? You can avoid that by not eating a heavy meal 6-8 hours prior to death. For most terminal patients, this is no problem, since they generally don't eat any solid food through their last several days. I don't know how they handle the problem for death row inmates - probably serve the last meal 10+ hours before the scheduled execution, so they'll come to the chamber already voided. Accident and murder victims, of course, can be in any stage of the digestive process, but if they're lucky, have no time to evacuate. If you plan your own exit, you can control that aspect of it, too.