Film short: Why It's So Hard for Scientists to Believe in God

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Arne Saknussemm, Aug 3, 2014.

1. river

My children will learn about our Ancient past

Ancient being defined as , Sumer clay tablets

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

As you know by now, I count myself among the Roman Catholics. I have gathered from your posts that you are Jewish by race, if not by faith. Being Catholic is much the same. Even if I had no interest or desire to be Catholic, I still would be to some extent. It's not genetic, as is your case, but it is environmental. So you are Jewish by nature, and I and all Catholics are so by nurture. Even though you are agnostic or atheistic, I don't imagine you go out of your way to eat pork. If you find yourself at Jewish wedding or funeral, I am sure you know how to behave. I am also fairly certain you don't knock the hats off Hasids when you meet them and bully or threaten them or ask what the hell they're doing in this country anyway, am I right? Good for you!

So the only difference between you, the non-theist and me, the theist is that I still profess the religion of my birth and upbringing. Many of my former classmates, friends, relatives and neighbors do not - and that would be their business. I myself rarely attend mass, find most of what the pope says mildly amusing, and what the Church as a whole says rather stodgy and dull, and not 'with it' at all, and yet I remain Catholic. If I meet a priest I call him 'Father' and treat him with such respect that I agree with everything he says, and I can't help but want to give him the impression that I am far more devout than I actually am, or ever intend to be. If I were Bill Cosby, I would now say, "And that, my friends, is human nature!"

The reason I am saying all this, and being so frank, is so that you'll believe me when I say that when I read stuff like your

All I can think is, well, no, unh-uh. I went to their schools twelve years, and their masses for countless Sundays before, during and since those 12 years and no one has ever told me I have to believe in The Flood or anything else in The Bible especially, especially, if I found it irrational or beyond the bounds of my credulity.

Or you say:

I know it may seem that way to you, my friend, but it's not like that at all! How can I possibly explain? You're right! Religion is that, but it's so much more. You haven't scratched the surface. You haven't seen the forest for the trees.

Say we went to Steelers' game in the mid-1970's. You might remark, 'This is all just an excuse to sell beer and terrible towels' Absolutely correct, but that's Terry Bradshaw down there, and Franco Harris, and Lynn Swann and John Stallworth. The Steel Curtain no less! Now, perhaps you are a member in good standing of Alcoholics Anonymous. Are you going to tell me about the 12 steps and your great method toward responsibility and sobriety? Well, I'd agree. AA and it's methods are fine things, but while you were explaining all that to me you just missed The Immaculate Reception!

Do you see? There's no reason to think of religion vs. science as a dichotomy. They're not merely different schools of thought. One's religion is one's way of life - how you marry and how you live and die and are buried.. One's science is what makes one's car run and removes plaque from one's teeth and gives us amazing photos of Saturn. One is not better or worse than the other. They are just different realms.

I can't speak for other faiths, or football teams, but mine requires nothing in particular from me. My faith does not tell me how I must base my life. I have never heard that I or you are going to hell. My parents ask me to believe nothing. God has never spoken to me (in so many words) and I rarely speak to Him.

I love science and find it fascinating. Otherwise, why would I be here? It certainly isn't because have some hidden agenda or want to "turn SciForum all fundy".

The scientists are forever wanting evidence of God. But there are so many other things you have no evidence of. Is there evidence of marital devotion, loyalty between friends, honesty in all small things, freedom, dignity? How to prove any abstract concept is real?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

My paternal grandfather's parents were Jewish by DNA and culture (which includes certain aspects of Judaism since it is a religion of laws rather than doctrines). When they landed at Ellis Island they said, "We're Americans now," joined an Episcopal church, and endeavored to speak only English. My grandfather was raised Episcopalian and only knew a few words of Yiddish. Both of my parents were atheists and I was raised that way. I never heard of "religion" until I was seven. Since I was born during WWII with enough "Jewish blood" to have been classified as Jewish under Hitler's rules, they never spoke of the Jewish side of our family until I was in college. I got more Jewish culture from my second wife than I did from my family.

No I'm not. I didn't even know what Jewish "nature" was until my late teens--at a university with a high percentage of Jewish undergraduates.

I love pork. Of course so did my second wife.

The only Jewish ritual I have attended was a bar mitzvah, and I had no idea how to behave. Fortunately it was a Reform service so that wasn't a problem. As an amateur linguist I had learned the Hebrew abjad (an alphabet with no vowels) so I helped the Jewish lady next to me follow along in the text during the recitations.

I lived in Hollywood for ten years and encountered Chassidim every day, but they never stopped to talk to me.

But no, out in the everyday world I don't pick fights with religionists. As evil as religion is, it does not appear to be an insurmountable handicap and the majority of religious people are quite decent--although in some eras that seems like a rather slim majority.

So do I. The "religion" of my birth is atheism.

When I was seven a little boy started telling me about this guy named "God" who lives up in the clouds and can see everything we do. I assumed that it was just one of those wonderful little stories that kids make up, and I laughed honestly and appreciatively. I was shocked when he seemed to resent my laughter. When I told my mother about it she turned very sad, and had to confess to me that a lot of people believe in that silly story. I reminded her that she had told me the truth about Santa Claus after the previous Christmas, so why weren't these parents telling their children the truth about God?

She almost cried when she had to tell me that many grownups believe in this nonsense. That was the day I became a cynic.

You're lucky. I found myself inundated by the Religious Redneck Retard Revival that began in the late 1970s as a counter-Counterculture. People were telling me that lions used to eat flowers and grass. When I said they must have looked much different from modern lions because herbivores have to have an enormous gut full of a bacteria culture to digest their food, all I got was a blank stare.

I read about religion every day in the newspaper. It encourages people to kill each other, even children. I'm not saying that only religion does this. But religion does do it, and does it on a horrifyingly large scale every few generations. So as far as I'm concerned it's nothing more than evil bullshit. Did I mention that I was born during the Holocaust? And now the Jews are punishing the Palestinians for it because nobody let them nuke Europe after WWII?

Sorry, I know even less about sports than religion. At least religion is interesting.

This was absolutely not true at the beginning of the Religious Redneck Retard Revival. The fundamentalist Christian sects, that were attracting the hippies who were feeling guilty about all the sex and drugs and rock'n'roll, stood staunchly against science. This is, after all, when so-called "creation science" sprang up.

Christianity in America in the Post-Industrial Era is on a course similar to Christianity in Europe in the Dark Ages. The Muslims are playing the role of the Jews.

People are free to believe any bullshit they like. But when they start insisting that public policy be based on it, then yes, we invoke the Rule of Laplace.

The communists took merely one line out of the Book of Acts (I don't recall the original verbatim but Marx elaborated it into "to each according to his needs, from each according to his abilities") and turned a major portion of the planet into a living hell. So yes, I will fight valiantly against any campaign to inject fairytales into reality. (The fairytale being that a civilization can survive if what one takes from it need not correlate with what one gives back, and the reality being that this kind of an economy produces a negative surplus. One member, perhaps you, pointed out that I was misinterpreting the slogan, but so were the Communists.)

Huh? What kind of people do you hang out with? I know a great many devoted spouses, loyal friends, and people who are so honest that they put back the Equal packets they don't use in the cafeteria instead of taking them home.

As for freedom and dignity, those are both rather subjective. As Oscar Mandel so wonderfully put it in the Gobble-Up Stories, "Freedom is merely that particular form of slavery which we happen to enjoy."

I'm not sure how you got to this question. Are you admitting that God is nothing more than an abstract concept? I'm OK with that.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Assuming that the phrase 'the scientific method' actually means something, one could make the same dismissive remark about ethics and fine art.

Is that really true? (You might want to read and respond to my post #55, up above.)

As far as evidence goes, one can obviously cite religious experience, of many different sorts. We might choose to discount its value as evidence, but that dismissal is a decision that needs some justification.

Why?

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

If others find comfort in religion, I'm OK with that.
    Some of the best, nicest friendliest people in the world are Christains or some other religious faith.
    Some of the most unkind cruel, unsavory people in this world are also Christain or some other faith.
    Some of the nicest, friendliest people in this world are Atheists.
    Some of the most unfriendly unsavoury people in this world are Atheist :shrug:

So do I. An astronomer I once met on another forum knocked back though my offer to polish his 'scope for him.
    I wanted to be closer to the great astronomical discoveries.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

He thought I meant something more sinister.

Science are forever asking for evidence of any and all potential scientific hypothesis. That is a requirement of the scientific methodology.
    Why should they not ask for evidence of God?
    And why should not believers, have the courage to answer that they have none, other than the majesty of the Universe around them.
    Instead of trying to deride science, on a prime science forum.

9. gmilam Valued Senior Member

I bet you've never lived in the bible belt.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...onism-concerns-rage-in-texas-textbook-debate/

10. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Science is an ethic. Religions indoctrinate vulnerable minds (typically children) to commit certain taboos under that ethic. For example, science teaches that we must never lie, whereas religions teach any number of lies in connection with their indoctrination programs. Therein lies the rub.

I think you mean that in your debates with science-literate folks, they always ask you for evidence. And that's because truth is entirely evidence based.

Then they are not true. Either that or the possibility that they are true is currently being studied, and conclusions are premature.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes, yes and yes.

The things you listed are not abstract. Bonds between people are mutually proven through their interactions. People who care about each other are protective of each other. What other proof do you need?

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

So you are Catholic by tradition, but you don't really believe the doctrine. That's fine, but you have to understand that is really is an insidious ideology. The worst part is it treats faith as a virtue. Science and religion are not compatible, they are opposite in nature. Acquiring knowledge requires a doubting intellect, something which Catholicism treats as a sin.

Also abstract concepts aren't real. If anything, the things you mentioned are values we tend to accept as social primates.

12. river

Agreed

For example

god said that apple was poisoned , which it was not , Eve lived

13. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I'm an atheist/agnostic. (Atheist regarding deities like Yahweh, agnostic regarding philosophical functions like first-cause.) So I'm coming at this stuff from kind of the opposite direction, compared to you.

Nevertheless, I have to agree that the attitude you describe annoys me too.

14. river

This site standards gets lower and lower

Unfortunately

15. elte Valued Senior Member

Fraggle, I agree with you on everything except I like the idea behind Marx's famous statement and think it displays a very social sentiment.

16. elte Valued Senior Member

Alas, I'm afraid religion is where our minds want to go for comfort and help. I've not ever been able to find evidence that it isn't just from our own brains. I see the tendency toward being religious as bred into our DNA as a coping mechanism to deal with the negative side of sentience, especially self-awareness, which involves fear of things like loss, pain, suffering, and most of all, death. I, like you, wish this glum outlook was not the truest-looking scenario and that I could say God really exists. But the badness of how life itself works, by its very kill-or-die nature, promotes a negative conclusion. Darwin felt similarly, I believe, after contemplating the big picture drawn by his exploration and knowledge of living things. It's one other reason why, besides overpopulation, I recommend people not have children. It's just seems overall cruel to me to bring anyone else into this cruel, heartless world, where most all of our relief comes for others of our kind, and that is too unreliable and not very able to provide the comfort we wish we had God to help us with.

17. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Whoa Elte! Looks like you need a dose of Max Ehrmann's Desiderata:

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others,
    even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious
    to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others,
    you may become vain or bitter, for always
    there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
    Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
    it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery.
    But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
    many persons strive for high ideals,
    and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
    Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment;
    it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
    gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
    But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings
    Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.
    You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you,
    no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
    Therefore, be at peace with God,
    whatever you conceive Him to be.

And whatever your labors and aspirations
    in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
    it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

18. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

I do believe, but I can't see that the pope is all the way right, and I am personally all the way wrong. I can guess 85% of my churchmen feel the same. Catholicism certainly does not treat doubt as a sin. When Mother Theresa (posthumously) got in trouble for writing in her journal that she often experienced spiritual dryness and wondered if there really was a god and why He allowed all the suffering in the world. The worldly media hyped this up as scandalous. It was nothing of the sort! She was a human being and we all have such thoughts and doubts -even saints - especially saints. And if you can't understand that, there's not much more I can say to you.

They're not? So you don't love your wife? It's all just a social primate thing? A monkeyshine? Shame on you.

19. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

I'm pretty sure religion teaches not to lie. Does science do that too? Excellent, no conflict. Maybe I'm getting sleepy, but mostly your statement makes no sense to me. I can see you are down on religion as always, but what are you talking about? 'Commit taboos' makes no sense. Your example is not connected to your statement. You aren't even using your favorite 'therein lies the rub' phrase correctly. Or maybe I'm just getting bored with it.

What 'they'? You're tired too. Make some sense please. And truth is entirely evidence based? Hmm. I'll get back to you on that one.

Of course they are abstract. Do you know what the word means? My examples may have all been about social relations, but what of 'poverty' or 'speed'? - abstract nouns are things that have no physical existence but are nevertheless real things.

20. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

What's going on? I'm pretty sure that after my post #62 was gmilam, then spidergoat (now #66, #68) then came Elte #72. Now there are all these other posts mixed in. How can that be? I know Fraggle's post wasn't there at 1:13 like it says. it's like 7 or 8 posts suddenly appeared.

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

As a pack-social species of obligate carnivores with no claws or fangs, that evolved to live in extended-family units of roughly 100 people we had known, trusted and cared for since birth, you can be sure that ethics are hard-wired into our synapses.

But these are, indeed, only the ethics of an extended family. Except for the occasional sociopath whose brain is simply wired wrong (and Jean Auel insists that there surely must have been a few of those in the Paleolithic Era, causing more grief to the tribe because of their breach of the family-love bond than the actual damage they did), everyone instinctively cared for his neighbor, protected all the children, and expected the same in return. Our problem today is that we have redefined the "pack." First it was expanded to include the people in the next valley whom we invited to live with us in our new agricultural villages, since division of labor and economies of scale increase productivity and wealth. Then it was the residents on the other side of a city whom we barely knew at all. Then it was the citizens of a nation whom we never met in person. Today it's people on the other side of the planet who are nothing more to us than abstractions--although fortunately the blessed internet is changing that rapidly--how many of you folks are not my fellow Americans?

This really taxes our Stone Age instincts. We placate our Inner Caveman with pizza, air conditioning, football, furniture, motorcycles, tequila, and a domesticated wolf at his feet who thinks he's God. But every now and then he goes Paleolithic on us and does something terribly uncivilized. Most of the time we're able to cover for him with apologies and the knowledge that we've all done it and gotten away with it several times. But sometimes an entire population goes Paleolithic and decides to make war on the people in the next country.

And back on topic: this is often the work of religion. Jung said, "The bloodiest wars in history were those among the Christian nations." He overlooked Genghis Khan, who killed 10% of the people he could reach with the transportation technology of his era (WWII killed only 3% of the world population, all of whom were reachable), but otherwise Jung was right.

Indeed. And at the beginning of the Religious Redneck Retard Revival, the Bible Belt made incursions all over the U.S. Even in free-wheeling Los Angeles, pathetic storefront Evangelical and Pentecostal churches founded by Afro-American and Latino congregations experienced a surge of new members of the Baby Boom generation: highly paid social workers, attorneys, teachers and software engineers who felt guilty about the things they did in their youth. (In every generation, Americans studiously avoid learning their own history. If the Hippies had only compared the 1960s to the Roaring Twenties, it would have put their sex, drugs and rock'n'roll in perspective.)

I think you're being a little hard on the religionists. They do not deliberately spread lies. In fact they are 100% convinced that their fairytales are the truth. Their weakness is in accepting argument from authority as valid evidence for a claim. That is one of the basic fallacies taught in Philosophy 101A.

Yeah, I was a little surprised by those assertions too. Psychology is one of the "soft sciences" so its methods and procedures are nowhere near as rigorous as those of the chemist or physicist, but if two people spend years treating each other with care and affection, and if one dies the other never gets over the mourning, I think we can safely say that love is real.

The only way to read the Bible without gnashing your teeth is to regard it as a book of metaphors. The "poison" was truth, wasn't it?

You don't have to remind a Moderator of that.

Indeed. The problem is that the Marxists took it literally. Thus people who claim that Marxism was a religion have a valid point. The Bible is full of wonderful metaphors that crystallize things that come up in real life and suggest ways of dealing with them. It only becomes an evil book when foolish people take it literally.

Jung found the legends of Christianity and the other religions to be archetypes: stories, rituals and images that recur in almost every community in almost every era. He died before genetics became a real science, but today we would explain this as instincts that are hard-wired into our synapses by evolution. It's easy to understand why we have an instinct to run away from a large animal with his eyes in front of his face (a predator), but not so easy to understand why we believe in ghosts and angels. Perhaps events occurred in our distant past that we cannot imagine, making these instincts useful. Or perhaps it's just the residue from a genetic bottleneck: our species has undergone at least two of those, Mitochondrial Eve and Y-Chromosome Adam.

Okay, Jung would appreciate that perspective.

You haven't been reading your memos. The second derivative of population went negative in the 1980s and it's universally predicted that population will level off at the end of this century and then start falling. It turns out that prosperity is the most effective contraceptive.

And did I mention that every economic model since Adam Smith assumes without comment that the engine of prosperity is a steadily increasing number of producers and consumers?

We have software glitches like any other website.

22. wellwisher Banned Banned

Science is more specialized to the left brain, while religion is more specialize to the right brain. The left brain is more logical and differential, which is why science defaults to specialization. The PhD is piled high and deep about one narrow topic to prove top level left brain proficiency. The right brain is more spatial and integral which is why religion tend to think in terms of all or nothing. This 3-D feeling/intuition makes it harder to see anything else as being needed, thereby doubting other paths to the same goal.

The explanation is simple but requires some experience using both sides of the brain in a conscious way to see how these fit like a glove. We use both sides of the brain, but only one is conscious at a time, with science and religion using the opposite sides for the conscious center. The result is the other side of each is more crude and less developed, making differences appear.

Science and religion is more of an expert in their particular side of the brain. The debate that often arises is when science and/or religion attempt to define itself within the context of the other side of the brain, where it is less of an expert. The Catholic Church tends to accept science and also maintaining faith keeping the two sides separate. This is not true of all of Christianity and other religions. When people within religion attempt to turn an integral or 3-D perception into a differential or left brained one; Creationists, this triggers a reaction by science who are much better at this side of the brain. On the other hand, when science attempts to turn differential science into an integral concept ; Evolution, religion is often the first to sense a flaw, since they are more skilled in that side of the brain. Evolution leaves out the global impact of water which was/is everywhere at all points of evolution.

Science is about seeing phenomena in the third person, outside itself, so it is reproducible by others. Religion is about contemplation and prayer where data is collected through internal processes based on dreams, visions, feelings, intuitions, etc. Both are science on their own right, with regular science concerned about the outer world of material reality, while religion collects data of the inner world of neural processes.

Eastern religions, for example break the tie with the world of the mass mind and ego, which is all about the outside programming in culture, and instead focus on internal meditation to transcend these limits. It requires one leave the left brain and attempt to join up with the right brain, to find universal truth. One much first move away from outside political truth which use language tricks in the left brain. Mediation requires self reliance, since there it is not a herd event but an individual journey. This is why self reliance in conservatism may be alien to left brain leftists.

In Buddhism, there are many different statues of the Buddha based on poses and postures, like the laughing Buddha. This is an attempt to express him in 3-D. The same person is being represented though the 3-D being broken down into a differential concept of unique postures. There is a common thread; Buddha, which is also connected a wide range of differential representations. This attempts to bridge the two sides of the brain, mostly to make it easier to migrate from the left to the right brain, and then finally back again. I respect the pioneers of the mind who came before.

As a scientist, by education, I found that data concerning religious claims, will not be easily found outside you, as expected by the left brain. Where you find this data is within your own mind and represents the natural workings of the mind and consciousness which operate in 3-D via the right brain. One can apply the method of science to this to help differentiate the observations into various groupings. But bringing this all together, requires the right brain become more conscious and autonomous. Experiences of the religious type become more common and makes one appreciate the experience of others.

23. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

@ Fraggle et al. All right, buddy. Don't get sports? Had not the religious upbringing I assumed you had? Very well. This thread I started began with a short film. Here's another. FYI, if anyone thought Danny Kaye was Irish (ergo Catholic) they'd be wrong. He's a good Hebrew lad -son of Jacob and Clara Nemerovsky Kaminsky, Ukrainian Jewish immigrants in Brooklyn. So that's nice.

[video=youtube;fXi3bjKowJU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXi3bjKowJU[/video]

Are you beginning to understand?