Film/Movie Recommendations

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Omega133, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sarkarinaukris Registered Member

i dont watch this show .........

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

An Atheist Film | The Ledge :bravo:

I just finished watching this and I absolutely loved it. I disagree with the bad reviews. Maybe the critics are religious.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I didn’t think it was too contrived compared to some of the crap that has bit hitting the theaters. I would like to think that I have a brain and I found it engaging. It does take on some weighty issues, and the fact that it isn’t dialogue that is normally addressed in films, made it original. I highly recommend it.

Meet the Artist: Matthew Chapman

The Ledge | FIRST LOOK clip #1 SUNDANCE 2011 Patrick Wilson

The Ledge | FIRST LOOK clip #2 SUNDANCE 2011 Liv Tyler

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

With Honors

Harvard University graduate Alek Keshishian directed this tale about a homeless man who teaches some snotty Harvard students a thing or two about real life. Monty (Brendan Fraser) is a self-absorbed graduate student who is obsessed with finishing his thesis on government so that he can satisfy his demanding teacher, Professor Pitkannan (Gore Vidal). When Monty loses his precious thesis in the basement of the library's heating plant, it is found by a homeless man living there, Simon (Joe Pesci). Simon agrees to return the thesis one page at a time in return for certain favors. The relationship with the bearded vagabond changes Monty's view of life, and it also affects his housemates, who include Everett (Patrick Dempsey), a wisecracking radio host; Courtney (Moira Kelly), who is immature and sex-obsessed; and the studious nerd Jeff (Josh Hamilton). Simon becomes something of a father figure to Monty, argues history with Professor Pitkannan, and provides an earthy balance to the overly academic viewpoint of the students. ~ Michael Betzold, Rovi

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/with_honors/#

8. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

To Kill a Mocking Bird. I cannot believe how much my 20 yr old son loves this movie. I guess its why its a classic.
    So, how good is Citizen Kane?

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It's worth watching but has lost allot of its impact. It's like a life story of William Randolf Hearst http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Randolph_Hearst

When I saw it in the 1950's I enjoyed it but it was made in black and white as were all movies in the 30's for the most part. Orson Wells did a very good job in making and starring in this movie.

11. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Insidious. My wife and I watched it earlier this week. Surprisingly good for a recent horror movie.

12. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Rango 6/10

I was a bit disappointed by this movie, judging by the trailer, I was expecting a really great movie and have been looking forward to the dvd release. It wasn't a bad movie...just could have been better. It's definitely not a movie for younger children (under 8). There's drinking and smoking and a few crude jokes.. many of the scenes are pretty intense and they probably wouldn't get all of old movie references or "Chinatown" inspired plot.

The animation is outstanding...and enjoyed Johnny Depp's performance..definitely worth a rental.

13. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

"The 7 Faces of Doctor Lao" Tony Curtis, rated "G".

It is simply wonderful, a classic, 5 out of 5 stars.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I saw it on the big screen and it was a good time. Not exactly memorable, but worth the time and money. Computer animation has certainly made remarkable progress. Those facial expressions all looked real.

15. juliet2011 Registered Member

i just wanna recommend some movies to you: A beautiful mind, pursuit of happiness, Batman, Lord of king

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Duck Soup

While critics of Duck Soup felt it did not quite meet the standards of its predecessors, critical opinion has evolved and the film has since achieved the status of a classic. Duck Soup is now widely considered to be a masterpiece, and the Marx Brothers' finest film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_Soup_(1933_film)

17. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

I have not seen the film but from what I checked out, it looks like it would have entertainment value.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.marx-brothers.org/watching/film/Duck_Soup.htm

From the above, the famous 'mirror scene'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdQ9jh5GvQ8&feature=player_embedded

18. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Cowboys & Aliens.

Took my nephew to see it on Saturday. James Bond, Han Solo and Olivia Wilde's side-boob FTW!

19. Gustav Banned Banned

20. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

just saw 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' (literally,just got back from it and logged in to check threads..)

great movie..kinda left you wanting more..(suspect there will be more..)

one of my favorite movies..Across the Universe..well worth adding to any collection..

Side note for moderators..Can you make this thread a sticky? help keep posts about the latest movies from generating separate threads..

21. birch Valued Senior Member

Zero (short film)

Zero: In a world that judges people by their number, Zero faces constant prejudice and persecution. He walks a lonely path until a chance encounter changes his life forever: he meets a female zero. Together they prove that through determination, courage, and love, nothing can be truly something.

http://www.putlocker.com/file/834B450BA75D515A#

22. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Sucker Punch

Good flick. Lots of game and movie references, deep psychological thriller, wonderful digital art work, good acting, top notch sound track. Flow would have been a little better if it hadn't been censored by edit so heavily.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Superheroes (2011)

A documentary about real-life people who dress up in costumes (some not), and go out in the streets to fight crime. What an amazing movie, I got a kick out of the Portland, OR heroes who feed the homeless (one goes by the name of Apocalypse Meow).