Film/Movie Recommendations

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Omega133, Aug 13, 2010.

1. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

after being reminded that there is a new version of Conan the Barbarian set for release this year I gave the 1982 John Milius / Arnie version another viewing yesterday evening. I haven't seen it in years and I've grown cynical with age so I wasn't expecting to be all that impressed but I was. It's no lord of the rings but it still stands head and shoulders above most movies of it's genre.

What is best in life?
    Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. universaldistress Extravagantly Introverted ... Valued Senior Member

CTB is just a quality movie. I Love that quote too.

Also: "That which does not kill us makes us stronger." at the beginning. This introduced me, at a young age, to Nietzsche. Which is great.

I like both of the Conan films in different ways. But CTB stands out. I wish they'd made more, they were planning to but it didn't pan out.

I just hope the new film cuts the mustard

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3UtsgVEW_U

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

"What - you want to live forever?"

Yeah. Loved the books a long time ago too.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Now that sounds very familiar...I may have seen that, but temporarily forgotten it in my dottage. I'll see if I can get it in my Netflix que.

Thanks for the reminder, Frag.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

That's about the only thing I remember from that movie

9. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Then you need to watch it a couple million more times Orly...it's awesome!

That quote is from Frederick the Great. His army routed and he was the only guy going forward. He Shouted "What's wrong you dogs, you want to live forever?" and they turned and followed him. They are words that simply cannot be ignored no matter how stressed out you are.

10. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

There comes a time, thief, when the jewels cease to sparkle, when the gold loses its luster, when the throne room becomes a prison, and all that is left is a father's love for his child. - King Osric

11. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i watched "conviction" last night with hillary swank. excellent movie, and even more excellent because it's based on a true story.

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Gran Torino

The story follows Walt Kowalski, a recently widowed Korean War veteran who is alienated from his family and angry at the world. Walt's young Hmong neighbor, Thao, is pressured into trying to steal Walt's prized 1972 Ford Gran Torino by his cousin for his initiation into a gang. Walt develops a relationship with the boy and his family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Torino_(film)

13. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Now that was one frikkin' awesome movie, Cosmic. Had me in tears at the end, he did. Extremely well thought out and executed movie. Clint is so very believable in this role.

'Course, Detroit is my hometown and the flavour kinda showed through...there's reasons the Krips and Bloods didn't get anywhere around here.....

Gotta love the Clint, have since "Rawhide".

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

One of the better movies of the last few years indeed. And perhaps the best of Eastwood's late-career films so far.

He's making peace with his status as an elder. The scene where he called the Afro-American kids "spooks" and they broke up in laughter--I haven't heard that word in fifty years!

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

17. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Just finished "Galaxy Quest" loved it. I was surprised, considering the plot & screenplay brought to mind "Space Balls", I expected it to be slapstick schtick. It was not. It was a very well done fantasy/scifi flick starring Tim Allen and Signory Weaver. Nice twists and many nods to Star Trek for us Trekkies.

The engineer gets the alien girl...and she has many tentacles.....

Good fun stuff this one, lots of laughs too.

18. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

"Push". Pretty good flick, mebbe a 4 out of 5. They set it up for a sequel, and some of the acting is a tad corny, but overall a good film.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

"Rango." Lots of cute homages to classic movies and beloved actors, and it's a sweet story. Computer animation has made amazing progress--beyond "Avatar." The movements and facial expressions are starting to look real.

20. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

"Dark City - directors cut"...OK, but while surreal and dark, lacked a lot and was kinda predictable. Some stuff really should have been explained, but was not. Other stuff should not have been explained, but was. 3.5 out of 5.

21. SomethingClever Registered Senior Member

..just saw Harry Potter 7, part I. Loved it.

the series has come a long way since the first couple movies. very well made, surprisingly dark. i love me some Harry Potter (and some Emma Watson.. grrrrrr)

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

"Midnight in Paris." Clever story, great ending, lots of gorgeous shots of Paris in the 1920s, many of which were apparently filmed in the former Yugoslavian republics where more of the past is preserved.

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Catch 22

At the heart of Joseph Heller's novel Catch-22 is a brilliant paradox: if you plead insanity to avoid suicidal bombing missions then you must be sane and can't be excused.