fighting styles

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Sir. Brilliance, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I'm well aware that the competitors in UFC are very tough, well-trained martial artists. My point is that the rules for UFC effectively disqualify many perfectly good fighting styles, so it's not fair to look to UFC to see which styles are most effective.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Nasor, I think theres one thing you could try taht isnt on that list- press beneath the nose, where it joins the rest of the skull, just above your top lip. That forces their head back, because its a bit painful.

Meanwhile, I am learning how to use swords. More fun, and deadly in a different manner.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lowefly Registered Senior Member

There is no great style only great students and teachers. If you wanna become a great fighter, perhaps the best, then train for it and become what you want. I trained in GOJU USA and I laugh at people who say my style beats your style. If you have true fighting spirit you'll be great. Remeber your style is only the vehicle that may take you where you're WILLing to go. If I were you I'd look for a style that first off interests you and secondly is well rounded. I'd also do a little personal research. I would find out if the teacher of the style you're interested in taking is willing to train you all the way through. If your teacher is planning on leaving next fall ya might want to find that out before ya waste time starting in their class. As I said before I trained in GOJU USA but I didn't limit myself to just that style I've learned aikido and some wushu. Hell I may even look into this shaolin stuff a certain member keeps touting but when the sheen wears thin and it will for this kid he'll understand that shaolin is just another vehicle for a great student. If he's a great student he'll become great..PERIOD..

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river-wind Valued Senior Member

Just don't study any style that awards you a belt for showing up enough times. Actually, don't study any styles that award intermediate belts. They only exist to provide ego boosts to people, and have little to do with their abilities.

Dim Mak has some very useful information in it, however, if you were to just study Dim Mak, and not train your body for many years, then all the information about chi and pressure points will be useless. Trying to hit an area the size of a dime in the right direction depending on the right time of day, etc, etc, in the midst of a violent confrontation....as has been said - there is no magic bullet.
    Work hard and learn all that you can. From now until the day you die.

As far as EmptyForceOfChi, he is very happy to evangelize Shaolin, but so am I, so I won't fault him for his exuberance.
    If you are interested in trying Shaolin, and you go to a Shaolin school where you pay $50 a month to learn "traditional" forms, you will be disappointed. If you are, however, lucky enough to live near a Shaolin temple, where the monks are not allowed to take money for training, you will find a very different mentality - one which may just be worth more than any martial art.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2005
  8. Qorl Guest

God is teaching me a dragon art of fighting. It's like the Passion of Christ when he was beaten by this guys. Don't do anything just hold, say nothing and stay still

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Just like in the movie Soldier, be a thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2006
  9. Tnerb Banned Banned

hahaha
    I completely agree.

Respect in manners,
    Be prudent in action
    Be prudent in speach
    Keep high spirits
    Keep yourself clean

There's other ones I think [sorry if I'm doing a thread revival.]

I used to take Yoshukai wherein I was taught these things. I actually - did - really well I think?

Anyway, for the most part, I tierd of it as I was aging because I couldn't keep up with them. *edit I .quit because I got hit really hard by a new person who I feared- he was an adult aged much more than myself.

I guess that there are a few fighting styles that I could talk about or discuss? Probably there are:

Kung Fu (it is a little bit wacky)
    There is also,
    Jujitsu which I hear is pretty self defense like and so on
    Alas playing virtual fighter I am reminded of a many great fightin styles.

There is Akira who if you get really good with him you can pwn some ass. I think mastering the down diagnial over b was always very important so you know how to do really well with

sigh

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  10. Tnerb Banned Banned

360 controllers suck

11. kurros Registered Senior Member

"Fighting style that is intesely difficult to learn but allows you to gain amazing reflexes and be able to dispatch just about anyone"

This describes essentially any traditional martial art. Some of the more modernised ones can be a bit easier to learn and are more focused on quick results, but they still take a lot of hard work.
    There is a lot more to martial arts than being able to fight however.
    In my experience you will never reach a high level of mastery over any martial art until you dedicate your life to it. You can become good, but you won't reach the highest levels.
    It depends what you want to learn it for. I was once told "life is not for martial arts, martial arts is for life". Take it how you like.