"Fiends Raped Jessica"

Discussion in 'World Events' started by goofyfish, Nov 7, 2003.

1. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

It does not even matter if it's true or not, gang. It's out there and that is all that matters. Even if it is later proven to be untrue, most Americans will still believe it because there will be no retractions.
    The first thing that sprang to mind when I read this was, "How do they know an Iraqi did it?" Given what goes on in military academies, a prone female soldier might be just as likely to be sodomized by her own platoon mates. Or somebody passing by on the street. Or some pervert who worked at the hospital (happens here in the States a lot.) Unless the doctors who treated her took forensic samples, which could tell us a lot about what population group the assilant(s) were from, if not who it actually was or there were reliable eyewitnesses or Private Lynch recovers her memory we will never know.

I think the Iraqi captors should be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

She is a soldier. No she isn't a hero, but few soldiers are. She was simply doing her job. She was badly injured. She was a prisoner of war. She was made use of very cynically and dishonestly by the U.S. propaganda machine. She was feted by the media whereas her comrades who were also injured and also taken prisoner were ignored. The factor that should concern us the most remains the differing treatment given to her in comparison to others in her position. But that is not of her doing, unless you blame her for being a pleasant looking blonde instead of the no less pleasant looking young black mother or the other comrades who shared her experiences.

Yes, females are raped in wartime. It is one of the unpleasantnesses that besmirch all nations. And don't we just love talking about it. The entire press has picked on just this one page in a book for its headlines. She is now back home, with a handy sum of money but a wrecked body -- I know I would rather be whole.

And I suspect she would too.

:m: Peace.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

Wasn't Rick Bragg the guy who was fired from the New York Times recently for making up news stories out of thin air?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

Yes Sparks, Bragg is the writer who "resigned" from the New York Times for theft of a piece in his column. Apparently he took the story from a freelancer and then published it as his own. Amazing that a Pulitzer winning author could do such a thing... And now he gets to write Lynch's memoirs (of which she remembers nothing of her experiences..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

..)

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/05/29/1054177673212.html

What I find amazing with the Jessica Lynch saga is the fact that she does not remember anything that happened to her while she was held supposedly captive in the unguarded hospital, yet she remembered enough to tell her story to Bragg to write a book.

Very well said Goofy. She was made to be the hero of the invasion of Iraq. The real heroes of that invasion were the Iraqi people, yet all we ever saw of them was the after effects of the invasion. We rarely see how they have little to eat, no water, no power, no medical help, no sanitation... the list goes on and on. We rarely saw how they suffered during the sanctions or the war itself. It never ceases to amaze me how one individual, who through an accident, gets to make millions from her experiences in Iraq, yet the doctors and nurses who treated her and the lawyer who did his best to get her out (at risk to their own safety) get nothing in return. Yeah.. the US really knows how to treat its heroes. Sad thing is they never get the correct heroes.. just the one who looks good on TV.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nico Banned Banned

Jessica says (according to my newspaper) that she doesn't remember the rape, and that she doesn't know... yet we have this assertion. Also the Iraqi's supposedly recorded this rape, yet why would they report a rape done by a Iraqi, while still under Saddams rule? Why can't we see this supposed file? I guess we have another "Prague Iraqi spy" bull shit...

8. Spyke Registered Senior Member

Only reports I've seen said that a doctor who first examined her in Germany said she had wounds that would be more consistent with anal rape than a vehicle accident. I haven't seen anything about a supposed video of a rape.

9. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

Thousand’s of atrocities happened (and are happening) during the war from all sides. I don’t see why this one warrants any more specific attention.

10. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

Anal rape resulting in broken limbs, ribs and internal injuries?
    Hmmm...

11. Psycho-Cannon Home grown and Psycho Registered Senior Member

That must of been a well hung iraqi.

12. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

It would seem that this was the final straw for Pvt.Lynch...

From breakingnews.ie:

13. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

the whole case jessica lynch is made up ! the only moment she was really in danger was when amerikan soldiers shot at the ambulance that should bring her back to us-troops !!!
    she got a better treatment than most iraqis , the doctors in this hospital even collected blood for her .....
    well , now they are raper&gangbanger :bugeye:

14. Spyke Registered Senior Member

Uh, the doctor said she had wounds consistent with anal rape, not that all of her wounds were.:bugeye:

Do you have a personal point of reference you're using as a judgement for size matters in rape?

15. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

Her FAMILY admitted she was raped... It isn't government propaganda.

16. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Jerrek

Yo, Jerrek ... that's rather quite beside the point, sir. Few people, if anybody, doubt that she was raped. So ... what the hell are you talking about?

17. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

It was directed at sweet Pentax, not you.

18. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

How could the family admit she was raped when she remembers nothing? Were they there to watch?

19. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

and the next question would be : if she was raped - WHO did it !

jerrek :

so her parents told it , right ? ok , than i´m wrong ....

20. Psycho-Cannon Home grown and Psycho Registered Senior Member

this is the first i've heard of the rape claim.

I asked a while ago if anyone knew how the Iraqi's were going to be portrayed in jessicas memoires.

It seems common knowledge/opinion that the Iraqi's gave Jessica treatment above and beyond their call and that she had an easy ride compared to most in the war, in fact the Americans seem to of been a bigger threat to her life than the Iraqi's and yet given that the same parties that staged her rescue and risked shooting her dead to force her back to the hospital so they could stage the rescue in the first place are "helping jog her memory" for the memoires how are they going to end up portrayed?

Now i know, what i didn't realise is that there seems to be some truth to the claim??
    Has jessica said she remebers this then if her fammily "admit it" and by who??

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Then direct it as such, Jerrek

Then put two cents' effort into directing it as such. You very well could have been referring to sentences in Goofy's post.

22. Spyke Registered Senior Member

Considering that those Iraqi doctors said her body was shattered and that she was barely alive when she was brought into the hospital, I fail to see how she 'had an easy ride compared to most in the war', unless of course, you are comparing her to the dead.

23. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

It's all relative, indeed

For what it's worth--and I'll nose around for numbers after I finally sleep--I recall hearing some reporter (CNN brief from the field, or some such, as opposed to punditry or analysis) that the Pentagon speaks little of the wounded numbers because there's quite a few extremities and limbs, and even eyes missing.

This has been a rougher war than the press has been allowed to tell you.

Well, a little nosing never killed me.

- Wood, David. "Amputees returning to duty." Newhouse News Service (Times-Picayune), October 12, 2003. see http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/index.ssf?/base/news-0/106593645334800.xml

- Zdechlik, Mark. "U.S. soldier injuries mount in Iraq." Minnesota Public Radio News, September 14, 2003. see http://news.mpr.org/features/2003/09/19_zdechlikm_injuries/

Now ... how many times do I get to say this? I must be careful.

But it is a rare day, indeed, that I get to call injuries requiring surgery and leaving minor nervous damage and a stick in the ass that you don't remember an easy ride.

To the other, however, I remind myself that it's all relative. I certainly wouldn't want to take Ms. Lynch's ... "easy ride".

Any takers?

:m: