Fender or Gibson guitars?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Psycho_Potato, Feb 8, 2003.

?

Fender or Gibson

1. Fender Strat

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Gibson Les Paul

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Psycho_Potato Kermit the Communist Registered Senior Member

Which one is better, and you would buy, a gibson or a fender? This has been a question amoungst me and this other kid. I just bought a gibson, cause they sound better, and everybody has a strat. he has a fender, which he is obsessed with. now, who is right?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. odin Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

<i><b>"...cause they sound better..."</b></i>

Sound is the key. Don't buy an image, however. You can hear the various overtones when plucking the strings at the guitar shop. Go into the store and listen to the instruments. You can hear the difference between rich and weak tone quality while listening closely. Niether the label inside nor a high price will assure you good sound from a guitar. It's the instrument that makes the sound, and you will be surprised how well many of the lesser labels can play. I recently purchased a Cort and am very happy with the the quality of sound it offers. It has very rich tone quality and was an excellent buy ($125.00.) I'm really enjoying it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

Both are great, I have tried both of them in different bands

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:m:

8. Eman Resu Registered Senior Member

Make your own. Fender was created with the manufacturing process in mind and unless you're a top player you won't get the custom guitar that they play. Both brands are generally questionable BUT you can find gems in the rough if you spend the time looking.

Think about. I'm going to build a couple and figure after a purchased custom neck, a quality piece of wood for a custom-cut body and hand-picked parts i'll pay as much for a second-rate ender or Gibson - but i'll have what I want with higher-quality, tone-rich wood and components.

9. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

Your dad has great taste in music..he does'nt want to send one of his guitars over..i have 3 guitars no gibsons or fenders ....envy

10. Eman Resu Registered Senior Member

another thing to consider is that it is much more difficult to regain the natural highs in a guitar setup. Gibson gives you moe of a warm tone and nowhere near as bright as a Fender. If oyu like the bright tone you can add color to the sound with the amp. If you want a Gibson the bright tones won't come easy - at least not the guitar's tones.

11. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

12. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

13. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

have you guys seen Billy Corgan's awesome V guitar in his new video Honestly?? very, very sweet.

but, i still can't understand why, at the very end of that video when they are all standing there looking down into the camera he has to go and pick his nose!! silly billy!

14. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Les Paul, all the way.

Sadly I can't afford one - but I'm more than happy with my American Strat!!!

15. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

Would anybody know the cost of the above instruments would be, and where would you buy them?

16. RDT2 Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: Fender or Gibson guitars?

Try ebay for prices.

Cheers,

Ron.

17. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Fender or Gibson guitars?

Thanks ron..

18. On Radioactive Waves lost in the continuum Registered Senior Member

I hate the fender museum!

ya, thats right. call me an ingrate. but I live in the city where fenders are made (not the mexican ones) and yes I do like fender guitars but I hate looking at their ugly-ass museum.

It was even proposed to make an arial veiw of the city look like a guitar to white trashify it for fender.

19. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

For nuance and subtle expression I love my '72 Strat, even though it's damn' noisy. I haven't played my '70 SG Standard in 30 years... it weighs a ton and the sound is muddy but it's great for metal. I used to put it through a 60's, valve, Watkins Copycat and a crybaby wah into my 100 watt Elgen stack. I used to sound like Hendrix, Santana and Pink Floyd jamming with Led Zep and Cream and I never even toked in those days!

20. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

I bet you you created a great sound!!

21. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Yeah IXL777, I really did. In fact it was so good, I had people rushing up to me telling me I was Hendrix reincarnated, which was a bit weird because he'd only been dead 2 or 3 years! And actually I hated being compared to him because to me, he WAS GOD! It made me realise that the average music fan knew absolutely fuckall about music and made me wonder if there was actually any point in learning to master my instrument when people could be so easily swayed by flashy sounds and not much technique

Consequently, I changed my style of music after that, getting into funk/Afro/jazz fusion and trying to be a real muso... after a coupla years hard graft I ended up being a kebab master!

22. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

I learnt one or two rifts , starting from the 12 bar blues etc..does anybody know how I can learn some more for lead guitar..it is a hobby now but would like to improve myself..
    thanx
    Dominic

23. RDT2 Registered Senior Member

There are some good resources on the web. You might start at my page:

http://www.mech.gla.ac.uk/~rthomson/music/music.htm

In itself, that doesn't have what you want but there are some links down the left-hand navigation bar.

Cheers.