Feminism

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Macky Avelli, Apr 30, 2013.

1. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Huh? What kind of metric are you using for evaluating "work" here?

Let me get this straight: as a "housewife" is typically not accorded a salary or wage (at least any that we have stats on), let's substitute a moderately well-paying (well, kind of) job for which we do have some info--say a public school teacher. My partner teaches high school, so I've got some idea of the hours and pay. And let's say our "millionaire" is... um, I don't know.. say a hedge fund guy.

The teacher works approximately 60 hours a week for 9 months, which averages to about 45 hours a week per annum, and pulls in about 50 thousand dollars (where I live, at least).

Our hedge fund guy works (I'll refrain from scare quotes), say, 60 hours a week and pulls in 3 million. (I'd just pulled those numbers out of my ass, but I don't think they're unreasonable.)

So are you suggesting that this hedge fund guy is performing roughly sixty times MORE work than the teacher?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Sure, but I was initially responding to a poster who claims to object to the manner in which wealth is distributed purely by the dictates of market, and yet at the same time, insists that the millionaire performs "more work" than the "housewife." There seems to be a cognitive disjunct there.

This tangent aside, I think that you and I are roughly on the same page here as regards the issue more relevant to this thread.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Societies metric, I don't agree with it but that how our society works. If you own capital, if you own millions of dollars worth of capital, and don't actually lift a finger for it, its still not right for your wife to take half of it, unless she provably help you directly acquire half of it. The fact you own all this without nearly as much labor or "work" as other people is a whole different issue.

Well I'm sorry you feel that way, maybe feminist groups should stand up to them and tell them to shut up, do they?

First of all what qualifies as contemporary references and citations to you? If you want me to search these things for you I would like to know what will satisfy you instead of being sent on a goose chase.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

There A rape in San Diego? Dam sounds like the least violent city on earth. I guess I'm not offended because I'm ignorant to what your talking about, please clarify and I'll see if it offends me.

8. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I suspect that no prominent feminists are decrying this travesty on The View for the same reason that no Mexicans are protesting against Taco Bell for blaspheming an aspect of their cultural heritage: there are vastly more important things to be concerned about, and they've got better things to do with their time.

You made the claim that "feminism has come to mean misandry" (paraphrased), and so you ought to be the one to support that contention.

Your list of quotes from many decades previous--one of which, in fact, dates back to the 19th century! (Elizabeth Cady Stanton--seriously?!)--does hardly support this. It's kinda like saying that today's Protestants are out to get the Jews and pointing to the writings of Martin Luther as support.

My criteria are pretty straightforward, and implicit in what I requested, but I'll clarify:

Provide me with some references that are no more than ten years old, originate from recognized feminist authors or personas, and which support your claim that "feminism" has come to mean "misandrism."

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence with such an obvious point, but ....

in re Taco Bell and Jews

I would simply add that it's something like asking "white people" to tell Republicans to fuck off.