Feeding a family for one week

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by kmguru, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL, I love zucchini. Everyone knows if they have too much, I'll take it. I make cake, bread, and muffins with it. I also like it fried, shredded in soup, or scooped out and stuffed with sausage stuffing and baked.
    My Mom just shredded it all and made relish. sweet, dill and spicy.
    I love zucchini.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

Actually I found that in the USA meat and processed food are cheaper than in Germany, however I found fruits vegetables or cheese (at least of decent quality) to be extremely expensive, even if compared to German organic food (and yes I have looked around in Costco, too). The cheap cheese for instance ain't cheese. It's just tasteless milk gone bad. And don't get me started on the flimsy, mushy, sweet excuse for a bread that you get here.

It may be a regional thing, of course as I suppose that in Arizona there is not much grown regionally. On the other hand I was told that on some local (mostly Mexican) market one can actually get decent quality vegetables for the buck.

So the example shown for an American family in the OP might reflect their income. If they bought the same as, say, the German one, the costs would be way up. My personal diet is not that heavy on meat and as such I found that I have to spend more for my food in the US as I had to in Germany, even considering the weak dollar.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lordznebula5 Registered Member

Dear god. I hate all of those. except raw flesh. And nuts. Oatmeal's gross but able to be covered up by flesh broth.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Zap Facts > Opinions Registered Senior Member

I have no urge to eat meat. In fact it disgusts me. The craving for meat in people, when it exists, is predominantly for the spices and salt that are added to the meat before cooking. People crave potato crisps, not thin slices of unseasoned, raw potatoes, and they crave cooked steaks gorged with spices and sauce, not raw slabs of bleeding animal hindquarters.

Donald Watson, the founder of modern Western veganism, died at the age of 95, with all his mental capacities fully intact.

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

How do you know if you have no craving for meat?
    I disagree.

Most often when I eat steak it has little to no seasoning - it is the steak I crave.
    More often than not, people who are anemic crave red meat. It is high in iron.
    I often eat sushi - no seasonings, just raw fish.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I too don't eat meat, because I have no urge to eat it. It disgusts me, if anything.
    I sometimes get myself to eat fish (a form of meat), because people tell me it's healthy and I should eat at least fish to keep myself healthy.

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I think I should claim to be an immigrant, the main reason is my current shopping bill is now curtailed to a whole £15 pounds sterling ($25.56 USD/ €18.97 EUR) per Week.

This means I've got to try and survive via one of the Discount shops that sells noodles that are 14 months out of date, So I'm either going to die of food poisoning or no food at all. Still it should be interesting to see if survival is possible on such a meagre budget.

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Okay I'm not dead as you can tell, however I've found that trying to live a healthy lifestyle is impossible. I've upped my budget to a whole £2.50 sterling per day (£17.50 a week) I can hardly buy anything because of prices (It's especially difficult being a Vegetarian, considering I don't eat a number of products like Meat, Fish or Egg. This isn't of course out of choice, I can't actually stomach those products)

I didn't want to chance any more of those noodles, they might be cheap and fill a small gap but I'd be spending money on something that most people would of thrown years ago.

So Today's food was:
    • 5 Donuts
    • Some rolls with Cheese slices
    • A couple of carrots
    Rinse and repeat.

I can't afford to cook currently as the ingredients go beyond my budget, oh well only a few months of this then I can cook again

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Stryder? Why are you doing this to yourself?