Feeding a family for one week

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by kmguru, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

That's what he told me, haven't been to the US.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Myles Registered Senior Member

I've been on three business trips cum holidays. At a place called Charcoal Charlie's, not far from Palm Springs, I ordered a steak and had a 2 1/2 pounder brought to my table. I was constipated for days.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

You don't have to eat everything that's placed before you!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

Well, the photo under the American family group does not indicate what I buy in a week. It is a typical 'junk food' diet, probably what a few working mothers may feed their family.

That said, and this is not a criticism of you kmguru, those are copyrighted photos from photographer Peter Menzel's book, Hungry Planet. I wouldn't want to see you or sciforums get into any trouble for publishing them.

8. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

All I can say is the pictures are funny as hell. Mexicans are apparently addicted to Coke, but I want to point out that I've never seen a Mexican on my jobsite with a gut like the dude in that picture. Most of the guys that work for us are skinny as hell.

Anyway, the numbers are complete bullshit. No Effing Way you spend $342 per week in the U.S. to eat, unless you and your whole family are just total O-Beasts. $342 per month, I would believe, but not per week. I handle all of the buying and cooking for my family, and we eat well on less than $100 per week, and that includes beer and wine.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL. I read that wrong.

Yeah, that family is drinking close to 2 litres a day.

10. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Most families had bananas.

11. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I like bananas

12. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

Food must be expensive (at least 30% of total income) and locally grown by small&medium farmers. Actually, it should be even more freedom restrictive. Everybody who has a suitable plot of land must plant a small garden/orchard. "Cheap" food means mega agrobiz, mega feedlots, food delivered from1000s miles away, mega environment destruction, soil erosion, mega energy consumption, dead rivers, pesticides in breast milk, urban folk who are Soooooo unbelievably removed from the land, etc. etc., etc., .... and no future (sooner or later). Cheap food = suicidal insanity.

In "cheap food" world only the largest corporations can survive. Corporations, which according to the laws of the economy of scale, make profit by selling a lot of cheap stuff (to people with money, not to people starving to death in Africa, I mind you). Yup, for cheap food world to exist, you got to consume more and more and more of the tasteless, chemically saturated, ethically questionable crap that passes for food in the "free" world.

So, now, let's look at absurdity of all of this, agrobiz got to convince you to eat more crap it produces, advertisement industry is getting actually MORE money than "farmers", growing food. You gulp more of the tasteless swill, you get fat, self-help hurus, doctors, diet industry, excercise industry, liposuction folks get their share of the pie. Economy is humming, GDP is growing. Mississipi and Gulf of Mexico is dying, soil is eroding, oil is being exhausted, pesticides are everywhere, mega feed lots contribute little something to the water you drink, formerly thriving rural areas are being turned into desert, etc., etc.. In the name of freaking WHAT?

13. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I agree, your line of thinking follows mine

Looking at the pics I like that girl on the couch in the Poland shots wooT young but cute

I am going to start living on milk and bread

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what if its goat milk?

15. kmguru Staff Member

There is an email going around and I got the extended image from that...did not know, it was published in a book. That said, sciforum does not host that image and it will disappear in 20 days anyway....If it was published in a book, it must follow the fair use law.

16. kmguru Staff Member

I am sure you do...

17. John99 Banned Banned

hey, those eyetalians are eatin pretty good.

18. kmguru Staff Member

19. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

20. John99 Banned Banned

I seriously doubt that all Italians eat is bread and banannas. I wan the author of this work to come here and explain this travesty. I feel as though...NO, i know that i am being lied to. Bring him here NOW.

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Bananas are tasty, everyone loves them, and everyone eats bread. And bananas are cheap in Italy. Italy is famous with its bread. I don't understand your doubts, young padawan.
    America however is famous for its fast food culture and unhealthy eating habits.

22. John99 Banned Banned

I probably eat better than you do. i personally have not drank coke\pepsi in over five years and dont eat potato chips but that family has like 6 big bags in the picture. And pepperoni pizza would make me puke.

Do you think an italian family sits down for dinner and has bread and bananas?

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I haven't been to Italy, but I know that a Polish family generally eats what's in that Polish food photograph. Xelios said the same about the German pic.

Maybe you're not a good representative of your general population, no need to get upset because of that.

Maybe, but I doubt it. I don't eat fast food, don't drink soft drinks or eat snacks or sweets, or use sugar, and I don't eat anything that's been frozen for a month. I mostly eat vegetables, milk products and black bread.