Favorite Film Talk Thread And Comments

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Bobby Lee, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Neb Registered Senior Member

Re: DVD it is!

"Well, what if we make a large wooden badger"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

I stand corrected

It was a nasty little rabbit who had the nasty pointy teeth.

rde, can you remember the dialogue between the python boys and the frenchmen, something about birds and carrying coconuts, I think - I'm really going to have to find the damn movie now. I've got in my head the words, "I fart in your general direction" (with a french accent of course).

For scifi fans there was a movie called 'Virus' which started out interesting. It was an alien life form made up of pure energy, slammed into the Mir space station which was communicating with a ship at sea, so the energy was transmitted to this ship. The concept was interesting but I didn't like how it turned out, it was a bit over the top. Anyone see it?

Cheers
    Teri

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Neb Registered Senior Member

I was half way through typing in the conversation, well nearly finished when my computer died, i'm sorry but I'm not going to do it again just yet.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Teri1 Registered Member

Neb,

Thanks for trying anyway. I hope your computer is okay. I've read about a new virus emailing itself around and destroying data.
    I get a newsletter on such things on a daily basis. If anyone's interested let me know.

8. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

let me know

Ned it's blastoff how are you getting on with your martial art.

9. Bobby Lee member Registered Senior Member

James Bond

Not that it has to do with the discussion above, but I saw a old James Bond film that I just had to mention "Live and Let Die!"

I just love that one.......

bjl

10. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

Re: I stand corrected

That was the beginning of the movie, when a solider questioned arthur's possession of coconut shells. I'd be doing you a favour by not quoting it and letting you watch the movie again instead. My favourite line from that sketch: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?"

Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries.

Didn't get as far as the ending. Had to turn it off. 'Twas shite, but based on a great comic. Like so many movies before it.

11. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

Thanks rde,

You made me laugh when I read, "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" The wit these people come up with is so great!

I know the movie Virus ended up ludicrous, but the original idea seemed, to me, to have some substance.

PS The word 'shite' sounds so much nicer than 'shit' - reading that also made me laugh.

See ya
    Teri

12. Neb Registered Senior Member

Re: Neb,

I recieved the Hi e-mail containing the goner virus 9 times at work last week, pretty cool stuff, no other virus has ever made it through the fire walls here.

13. Neb Registered Senior Member

Re: let me know

Haven't had a chance to get into a Karate class yet, I'll probably start at the start of 2002, i'll let you know of my developments, thanks for your interest.
    BTW: I tried to send a private message to you but I had trouble doing it so I posted here instead, sorry to clutter up the board everyone else who weren't interested

14. Meghan May all beings be happy Registered Senior Member

I am not into favorite things persay, but my most watched movies are 1st the Godfather trilogy and Fight Club.

15. pragmathen 0001 1111 Registered Senior Member

Here's some ...

* <i>Moulin Rouge</i> - Baz Luhrman
    * <i>Superman</i> - R. Donner
    * <i>Gladiator</i>
    * <i>Fist of Legend</i> (the one with Jet Li)
    * <i>Groundhog Day</i> - I. Reitman (?)
    * <i>Empire of the Sun</i>
    * <i>Memento</i> - at least for its originality
    * <i>Fight Club</i> - Norton and Pitt aren't too shabby in this one
    * <i>Goodfellas</i> - M. Scorsese (?)

I better stop for now.

Thanks!

prag

16. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Oldie But Goodie

Movies on a grand scale with a soundtrack to match:

Lawrence of Arabia

17. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 15, 2002
  18. bun Registered Senior Member

Favorite Movies

Very Old: Casa Blanca
    Old: Ben Hur
    Middle Aged: Easy Rider
    Early Middle Aged: Gods Must Be Crazy
    Contemporary: O Brother Where Art Thou?

19. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

My 5:
    The Secret Garden
    A Little Princess
    Dancer in the Dark (you guessed it)
    Contact
    Pay it Forward

I haven't seen much good cinema; I hope to start watching some good 'worthwhile' movies. However, The Secret Garden has always been, in my mind, a collosal picture; something to base your life upon- watch it!

20. mpfunk economist slacker Registered Member

Thought I would throw a few movies into this list

Godfather part II-finally saw the first two of this series when it came out on DVD. I personally like the Godfather part II better. The parallels between Don Corleone's and Sonny Corleone's rise are very interesting. Essentially this is two movies tied into one great package

This is Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, and Best in Show-Will call this one the Christopher Guest trilogy Tap is definetely the best with Guffman being a close second. Guffman and Tap both turn it up too 11 with Best in Show not quite reaching that high.

Big Lebowski-For years I said that Fargo was the best of the Coen brothers movies but I have started to move to the Big Lebowski camp. Although Fargo ranks in my top five Lebowski is genious for the suttle jokes in the movie.

Being John Malkovich-This movie is original and completely wacky, but the thing that makes it great is below all the humor there is an underlying current of despair. So many people are so tired by and hate their lives so much being someone else for five minutes becomes the greatest experience of their lives.

Rushmore-Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson are masters of the awkward moment where no one really knows what too say so they just start to fill space with whatever comes to mind. Bill Murray's funniest performance. Anyone who likes this check out Bottlerocket.

Goodfellas-No movie list is complete without something by Scorsese and this is the best of his movies.

21. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

I've got to agree about John Malkovich. You know who is on the soundtrack.

22. Bobby Lee member Registered Senior Member

The Borne Idenity

I just saw a trailer about this movie. Has anyone else seen it? It looked pretty good from what little I saw about it. Its about a guy who lost his memory, turnes out he was a top agent for the intel community, Jason Borne.......

bjl

23. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

My Grandma wants me to read that book but

I don't want to. I didn't know there was a movie. Maybe I'll just watch that.

BUT anyway...has anyone here seen Magnolia? You guessed it-I did. I've got to say, it's pretty darn good. It's so large it's like a symbolism from itslef; it doesn't try to render meaning to humanity or even symbolise it. It just represents it in itself. By the end you know it's massive- like a manifesto on modern culture. But still, its massivity is subtle, and I could, at times, easily miss it in the harsh, real mix of the film. I want from depresse to coy to awe inspired over the course of that movie- clumsy yet a microcosm for your own life, however better it may be than the lives in the film.

And has anyone here seen 'A Little Princess'? A childrens' story but my, what a powerful mesage, and my, what a tearjerker.