Fat nurses

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Syzygys, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Recently I have been in hospitals visiting and I have noticed that female nurses have a much higher fatness ratio, than the average person, and since I am talking about Americans, that is saying something!

Today I observed something like 3 out of 4 really obese, not just 20-30 pounds extra. Now since they work in healthcare, they should know even more of the negative effects of being seriously overweight. I had an explanation though:

Since they work with sick people and dying people, maybe they have the attitue: to the hell with diet, we only live once! After 9/11 it was reported that people gave up their diets.

Of course I can be wrong about the reason but most likely right with the observation....

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

they also smoke more...every day I bike around the medical centers of my city, and all they do is smoke...

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

I associate it with their inability to have a psychological power over themselves, they work as nurses and see people die around them, sick people...they went into the profession thinking they can help people and earn money too (with easily reachable nursing degree...it is accessible to mane people)...but they never prepared themselves for the psychological strain associated with the job.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Roman Banned Banned

Do you have any numbers? Or just anecdotal evidence? Also, are your hospitals randomly distributed or are they localized and pulling on a certain demographic?

dragon-
    Of course you see them smoking when you bike around, only the smokers are visible. If there are 100 nurses in a hospital, and 5 of them smoke, all you will see will be the 5 smoking ones unless you go inside. Which you don't, since you're biking around.

Man, these forums suck at statistics.

8. draqon Banned Banned

I see more than 5 smoking around...I bike around the place at least 3 times...and there are like 10 nurses standing on bus stop and smoking...10 more near the doors and smoking...than next time I bike the nurses are different, they are all fat or are extremely skinny and they smoke too...

9. Roman Banned Banned

Start noting who they are. See if they have name tags on. But then, you still don't have a clue how many are working inside, so you can't really say they all smoke until you know how many are "all" and if you've seen them all.

Your data's a biased sample. Nonrandom, so you cannot draw very many conclusions about the larger population.

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

A limited observation like that is meaningless. While visiting a relative in the hospital over the course of every day for two weeks, I saw just the opposite. Of the 60 or so nurses working and in the cafeteria, I saw only three or four that could be considered overweight. About the same number were very slim and all the rest appeared to be the correct weight for their height.

11. draqon Banned Banned

fine...others need to come here and claim that nurses are fat and smoke too...but I am one piece of data.

12. Roman Banned Banned

Every person on earth could come and make claims like that, and it would be absolutely meaningless. Of course, you're to thick to understand why.

13. draqon Banned Banned

yea well you can't dismiss my claim either. I am data, as small as this data is.

14. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Sure it can be dismissed. I could report that while driving between two towns I saw 15 cars. 8 were white, 4 were blue and 3 were red. Does that correspond to the actual proportion/distribution of car colors in this country?

I would hope that most people here are smart enough to dismiss my "data" also.

15. draqon Banned Banned

ye well if hundred other "Read-Only's" and "Write-Only's" reply with same data...something is going on here...

16. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

There's such a thing as a sample being too small to have any statistical significance - I hope you're aware of that...

17. Roman Banned Banned

There's also the nature of the observation. Given that a jobless dragon is biking around a city during a work day, he will disproportionately see more outside on smoke breaks. There could literally be 6 million people in the buildings he'd never see, and conclude taht everyone smokes since he only sees 6,000 of them (say ten in front of 600 buildings).

I'm just making up numbers here; they aren't really important save for illustrating that you have a biased sample- the only people you will see outside smoking in front of the hospital will be smokers! So of course all types of profession X Y or Z will appear to be smokers if you only see the ones who smoke!

18. draqon Banned Banned

well than I guess Stalin killing millions of people in Russia was not that significant compared to all the people of the world.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yeah, well, trying to be silly won't get you off the hook. It's pretty obvious that you don't know anything about statistical analysis or protocols.

20. draqon Banned Banned

I do know about statistical analyses and I also know of ways of "twisting" with information, especially probability...depending on the perspective.

21. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

You certainly don't act like you know anything about it. And as to that last part, there's a very old saying: "Figures don't lie - but liars know how to figure." (That's precisely why the protocols are so important - and that's exactly what your "observation" was completely lacking.)

22. draqon Banned Banned

LOOK people...my observation is my observation...I am not claiming on a grand scale anything to be happening...I am saying here that in my area it appears to be that most nurses I see on every day basis as fat and smoke.

You decide whatever you want to decide from my data.

23. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Fair enough.

I decided to ignore it as meaningless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.