"Faster than light" communication?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by w1z4rd, Mar 5, 2006.

1. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

Suppose this most probly has been covered but I just wanna see if its possible for it to be done...

I was reading that scientists were able (i think it was in 97) to prove that when they took two association electrons, and moved them as far apart as possible.. that when you spun the one electron around in one direction, its counterpart (no matter what the distance), instantly reacted and also changed its 'orbit' in response to the first electron.

Could someone clear up what I have got fuzzled up, or paint a clearer picture of that experiment.

Well, I was thinking, if we could spin an electron in different directions, and record the spin of the other electron ...far far away.... would it not be possible to use that as a form of communication? Ie, if electron A spins to the left, it is considered a binary 0, if it spins to the right, its a binary 1. So if you are spinning the electron on one side of the world, you should be able by looking at the electron on the other side of the word, discern what is happening. (If I am making any sense)

And since the electrons to not rely on space/time. Is it prehaps possible mayb to transmit through the multiverse or wherever those darn electrons phase out into?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anomalous Banned Banned

Givme a link on what U claim

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

Its in a book at home, I will be able to give the exact references tomorrow. I read about the experiment in Bill Brysons, a short history of nearly everything.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

You would think so, huh? But no. You are talking about entanglement. In order to send information, you must "set" or "encode" the state of one of the particles. This interferes with and destroys (i.e. collapses) the entanglement always. In other words, to send a data stream for example, you have to manipulate the bits (particle spins) to compose a message. The instant you mess with one particle, the other particles state becomes deterministic based on the state you find the original particle in. You can no longer "adjust" it to compose a message.

K?

8. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

Okay, you have given me more to think about, I will look up what I have on my side at home (at the office now), and take into account what you have said. I just need to find out the finer details about the experiment and how they completed it in 97, to see if I can find out what can and can not be done.

9. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Sounds like a great approach.