Faster metabolism in humans enabled larger brains

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Plazma Inferno!, May 5, 2016.

1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

The nature paper states: "the hypothesis that the human lineage has experienced an acceleration in metabolic rate, providing energy for larger brains and faster reproduction without sacrificing maintenance and longevity." but the "Larger Brains," a fact, is pure speculation that it is due to higher metabolic rates.

Higher metabolic rates are mostly due to life styles with higher power requirements. For example flying. All most all birds that fly have much higher metabolic rates than humans. I think they have confused cause and effect. Yes our larger brains do take a dispropotional amount of energy (compared to their mass) but IMHO that is why humans have higher metabolic rates than other apes. I. e. as our brains evolved with high power demands, our metabolic rate increased.

I'm not sure what "faster reproduction" refers to. Many animal mate several times each day (lions, bulls, etc.) and 9 months of gestation is slow. What the hell do they speak of? Chickens can lay 300 fertilized eggs in a year!

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.