Fan Fics, Original Fiction, and Fantasy

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by CounslerCoffee, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I actually invited her here to put art up. The only thing I hope is that she doesn't mind the use. Here's a link to one of her galleries, BTW:http://www.furnation.com/JaxxBlackFox/. You have got to admit she's good.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

Ya, from your imagery I thought she might be a furry; I will reiterate what I said before about fan art.

I never met a furry artist who didn't love fan art, even if it was a stick drawing of a bunny eating a cucumber. Draw her a picture.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Unfortunately I am not a practiced artist, and to do anything to do Jaxx credit I would have to practice for months. My prefered pallette is the English language(others once I learn them, maybe), and I dont' know enough to write a decent story. That's why I didn't write anything about a meeting. I could probably get to talking to her sooner if I knew anything about chatrooms.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

What kind of story would you write?
    What would it be for?
    What would you try to say?

As long as you stick with short stories, I find, it's easy to get pretty dense imagery on the fly, and go where the writing takes you.

If you're talking about anything longer, you should think about what you'd write beforehand.

But what do you mean you don't know enough to write a decent story? D'you mean a decent story like Memory by Lovecraft? Or d'you mean ten pages, or fifty, or five hundred?

8. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

No, I mean that I don't know enough about her or her characters to get them right.

9. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

Ah.

Then you're right; you should get to know her first, because she probably is her characters; most people are.

10. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

"Hey, did you know that you can see lots of things from up here?"
    "How the heck could I know? Not even now I can tell how it feels to fly up there...."
    "Duh, don't be glum!"
    "Have you ever seen me laugh out loud like you often do? No. Have you seen me move around like you do? No. Have you seen me flying like you're doing now? Of course..."
    "Stop it. Just because I'm up here don't you start...."
    "Even with this string attached you still seem to be too high from here! How can I not complain about that?!"
    "You seem to be sweating...."
    "Small stuffs? This is NOT A SMALL STUFF!!"
    "Okay, okay, okay...... what's your wish then?"
    "Get down here, get a gun, and shoot me."
    "This string is a vein, dummy! Shooting you will most likely kill me!"
    "Selfish, huh? You're just happy up there, while I can only sit down thinking why I can't fly with you."
    "Maybe someone can help..."
    "Ground you? Well, that's the cruel fate.... I can't go up, but you can go down....... how unfair......"
    "And that clouds your sunshine?"
    "Remove my sunshine, to be exact."
    "Doh...."
    "See..... everyone else can fly, why can't I? Everyone else knows exactly what it looks like in the netherworld, why don't I? I don't know if I have the answer, but one thing for sure, this is really killing me quickly!"
    "But you've got me!"
    "A part of me, that's you for me. I want to go to the clouds with you, but why can't I?!"
    "Hmmph..."
    "What's in your mind now?"
    "I'll get down"
    "What!!??"

Last edited: Oct 10, 2003
  11. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

My shortest ever short story!

Joe was at work when the alien ships arrived. They slid to a halt above the earth, twenty massive new moons, that were visible from the ground as large shiny cigars. He stood outside with everyone else, and rushed inside to listen to the radio broadcast from the ships.
    "We wish to kill god. We will destroy your planet in an hour unless God comes to save it. God will surely come to save you from destruction, then we will destroy God."
    Joe wondered where god was, and watched as everyone started praying, or fucking or drinking themselves into a coma. But if there was no god anywhere, was was

---------

I might need to rewrite it, I lost the second half of it when i missaved it, having written it when i was coming off night shift adn therefore a bit tired. [interesting eccentric bit about how I came up with the idea]
    Firs,t i was wondering why i handt come up with naything that would fit into a really small story, the kind of challenge thingy Ive seen in some anthologies. Then i was letting my mind wonder at work, considering how many stories of a certain type depend upon man turning into superman and saving the day, and well, thats been done to death, so what about a story where that doesnt happen, but then, nobody relaly likes to read that kind of story, so somehow I came up with this. [end of ramble]

12. Marigny Registered Senior Member

wow everyone started writing lots

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

guthrie, your story sounds like one of those cool jokes about hell.
    for each day of the week, there is an abundance of overdose or soddom and gommarrah in space.
    I LOVE the concept.

13. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

What no one saw was the black objects farther out. The sophisticated cloaking and stealth technologies made the ships virtually invisible. The admiral of the fleet, twetny-five massive battle-platforms loaded with mass destruction, looked at hte viewscreen as the comm officer hailed the shiny ships commander.

"Good morning. At least it is for me anyway. My crews get to use you for target practice. You see, you forgot that God works through men. Why show up himself, if he knows of a good and faithful servant that can do the job for him? He will achieve two purposes today. he will remind the miserable fools on the planet down there of his power, and he'll get rid of you. Have a nice enernity."

Cutting the line, he ordered his ships to open fire. The people on earth screamed and hid thier eyes as antimatter flared brief, brilliant novas that drowned out even the sun. Shattered peices of the ships fell to earth, some causing great destruction, but somehow only hiting certain places, Washington, D.C., Isreal, and so forth. Nobody on earth saw the exit of the great black ships, the fist of God that struck down his enemies.

sorry, couldn't resist. Would like to see your ending though.

14. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

15. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

First hour.

"Watch out for the train"
    BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
    "Whats that sound?"
    BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
    "Oh thats th---"
    BEEP BEEP BEEP Bthrp.
    I reach over and click the slide indicator to off.

"Ugghh"

The clock radio read 6:15, and the bus arrives at 6:25, it had been sounding for the last 30 minutes, my dream almost seemlessly integrating the incessant buzzing into it's reality. My bones ached from staying up till 2:30. Again. Well, thats too bad, just going to have to sleep through a few classes, that's never hurt me before.

I slowly rose out of bed, my sore joints protesting the whole way and quickly walk outside, circling the house to the front door, and enter.

"Your going to miss the bus," my father says.
    "No I'm not."
    "Your alarms been going off for the last half hour, you woke ME up."
    "Why didn't you stomp on the floor or something?"
    "I figured you were up."

I go into the bathroom and strip for a quick shower, thinking "Yeah, that figures, uh huh, really, asshole". The shower leaves me feeling dirty still. All 3 minute showers do. There has to be a better way. Oh yeah, I could go to bed on time, but whats the fun in that? I could get a job, buy a car, pay insurance, but whats the fun in that? No, I'd really rather live with things left unresolved until the last minute everyday, that is fun, last minute decisions and solutions to all my problems.

Anyways, I terminate that line of thought as I realize that the bus should be coming around now. I run to the end of my road to see it drive past. Shit. Oh good, it's stopping, someone must have noticed me running, well I am kind of hard to notice

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Settling into a seat in the front for the forty minute bus ride, the quiet hum and bumping of the bus lulls me into an uneasy sleep, waking everytime the bus slows or stops. Every minute counts. Damnit, I forgot breakfast again. No money for lunch. Going hungry today, oh well, eating at home is more fun anyways. Glancing out the window i realize that we're less then a minute from the school. Good, no more sleep.

Being at the front of the bus has it's benefits. You don't have to deal with all the loud obnoxious people at the back, AND your off first. Benefits all around. Glancing at the clock it reads 7:00. Hmm, the bus is early today. What is there to do for the 25 minutes before class? Oh god, there are the retarded people i hang out with... their looking at me... *panic*

I smile. I walk over, say hellos, and get into an animated conversation about Monty Python with a friend, starting of course with quotes.

"Women have a perfect right to play a part in our movement, Reg.", says I
    "Why are you always on about women, Stan?", he replies.
    "I want to be one."
    "What?"
    "I want to be a woman. From now on, I want you all to call me 'Loretta'."
    "What?!"
    "It's my right as a man."
    "Well, why do you want to be Loretta, Stan?"
    "I want to have babies."
    "You want to have babies?!"
    "It's every man's right to have babies if he wants them."
    "But... you can't have babies."
    "You know, they have a point," our friend julie cuts in, "Why can't he have babies?"
    "Well, it isn't possible, he has no womb" my friend says.
    "Yes, but why can't he have them legally? Is it his right to have babies?"
    "Well, I suppose it is his right, but why have the right to have a baby?"
    "Wait wait wait... there could be a legal side to this, unapporved, unneccesary medical experimentation is illegal, and thats what it would take for him to have a baby"
    "They could get FDA approval... or go to brizil"
    "But then it's running from the law... not a right, he wants to have the right to bear a child"

"EVERYONE GET TO CLASS"

We disperse to our seperate rooms.

Entering O`Connors room, a new assignment covers the board.

"Imagine that your the ruler of a small island, and your need to make a government fair to all, but still remain a ruler. How would you do it? You have 20 minutes, then we're forming groups"

Damn english teacher, what does that have to do with english? Oh kay, whatever, I can do this. Shit, it's been 5 minutes. Better get started :

"To allow all peoples under my rule, apparent, or hidden, preferably hidden, for the rule does not need to be actually equal, if I allow people to percieve that they are all equal, then I will have an interchangable populace. All people have equal skill, equal participation. But wires can be hidden and pulled. Perception. Perception is the key to humans, everything on some level is perception. It all boils down to my perception of events, how I interpret things, isn't it the same for you? If you percieve you are in control of a situation, wouldn't you hold that belief for as long as possible? Puppet governments. Look at the phillipines, we held control there for almost a entury, a puppet government pretending to run things, the populace pretending it was in control of itself. It took a world war to free them, yet we still control most of their economy. Okay, so I set up a democratic polling system, all controlled by computers, and let the people vote on all issues, yet in the background I just change how the polls come out, make them look close, or landslide, to let the people who voted think that the rest of the populace is against them, thereby crushig their spirits and makeing them that much easier to control in the long run. Oh yes, yes, I love this plan"

Reading this outloud gets me concerned looks from my classmates
    "Thats some.. interesting work charlie," The group leader looks around quickly, "Katie, what did you write?"

Wow, some boring work "I would let them represent themselves in a government situation and be president", exactly what everyone else said. Their all so special, awww cuties! The next 50 minutes were a blur (85 minute class), mostly due to my lack of complete conciousness.

"The definition of tone is... A small city in panama"

Groggily raising my hand, "I dont think thats the definition of tone.."
    "Charlie, we were talking about tone 10 minutes ago"
    I feel my face warm, and smile sheepishly "Oh", and fall back asleep.
    Waking to the sound of a room of people moving is like a shot of adrenaline. Your instantly awake, on your feet, and moving towards the door. Outside, the fresh air hits your face, and the soft, cool mist helps bring you to complete awareness.

This is a problem for me. It means that in the 5 minutes between classes, I have to find something to do. Retarded friends again, but this time, Star Wars.
    I walk up to hear, "So, is Luke going to hell or not?"
    "Why would he go to hell?"
    "Well, he killed millions of people when the death star blew up, lusted after his sister, and 'touched' her in a mannor which could be seen as sexual"
    "Does he believe in god? Does god, and heaven even exist in the star wars universe?"
    "Well, it exists in ours, why not theirs?"
    "True, but your an athiest dude, you say so all the time"
    "Well, this is a hypothetical situation, so i can say that they both exist for the purpose of this conversation"

"EVERYONE GET TO CLASS"

16. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Okay, I figured I'd bounce this off of you guys, another Lord of Chaos thing.

The small group gathered around him in the corridor. Gothic decor stretches into the distance on either side of the door. A group of people, ranging from college students to world leaders gathers around the man in antique samurai armor, black laquer with blood-red highlights. He pauses before the door to ask a question, his hand on the handle.

"The topic here tonight is light and dark. We all know that traditionally, light is good and dark is evil. I've seen some variations on this, but they are irrelevant for the current discussion. The question is, where does shadow fall in this? Is shadow a lesser dark or a lesser light?"

Uncomfortable silence, such as in a classroom, when the teacher asks a question the jocks don't know the answer to, and the nerds don't want to point themselves out. It hangs there until a scholarly Englishman replies, "Darkness. Shadow is a lesser darkness."

"True," Comes the answer, "But shadow is ultimately, after all that is taken into account, a creature of light." As murmurs pass through the small group concerning this strange revelation, he opens the door and ushers them in.

The room is barely and simply furnished. A table in the middle bearing a simple whitevase and benches along its two sides are the only furnishings. They blink in the light. One of the men, swathed in a volumous cloak and muffler, hisses at the brightness. "Sorry, Count. This will only take a minute." The count backs into a corner, shunning the lights, which are strategically placed to ward out all shadow. "This is light. One of the enemies of shadow, and the only enemy to darkness. Light can destroy both shadow and darkness." He gestures, and some lights go off. The vase casts several shadows from lights on the walls. Pools of shadow form underneath the table and benches. Despite this, there is no appreciable decrease in the brilliance of the light, or the white bareness of the room. "We have just created shadow. When light is blocked by something it forms shadow. As you can see, light can destroy shadow, but ultimately shadow requires light to exist. Darkness can also destroy shadow." The room goes dark. A sigh of relief is heard from under the table, where the count, discarding propriety, had fled. There was no way for anyone to see. Curses were heard as someone ran into the wall. The man continued his lecture." Here we see no shadow. Just darkness. While the shadows are just awaiting the light to define them again, they have no form, and are impotent." The lights come back on considerably dimmer, and easier to handle. Even the count comes out. "Thus shadow is a lesser light. It must ally itself with the light, lest the darkness overwhelm it, and lose it's form, becoming nothing. Light must acknowledge shadow, and let it live, for it can be very useful." An illusion of movement, and a sound like the scraping of scales, draws their attention to the shadows in the room, which are suddenly black pools, blacker than any shadow has a right to be, and the unseen creatures dwelling in them. An amused smile shows on his face as he says softly, barely loud enough to be heard, "Very useful indeed."

Whad'ya think? Huh? Huh?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2003
  17. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

First of all, heres the complete version, i foudn I did have it after all:

Joe was at work when the alien ships arrived. They slid to a halt above the earth, twenty massive new moons, that were visible from the ground as large shiny cigars. He stood outside with everyone else, adn rushed inside to listen to the radio broadcast from the ships.
    "We wish to kill god. We will destroy your planet in an hour unless God comes to save it, if God appears then we shall kill it and leave you alone. This is the most efficient way to try to find god, so far it has not succeed."
    Joe ran around looking for God for a few minutes, but realised everyone else was doing so as well. Some were praying, others getting drunk or fucking or something. Nobody seemed to want to waste any time, and they certainly didnt seem to be finding god, did they? Those ships were still there. "somebody save us" he moaned. He checked his watch. Where was god? Damn, what could he

-----------------------
    HHmm, gifted, I see youve turned it around. fair enough. By the way, mine ends there, its supposed to.
    Your thingy sounds fine, but you need to tidy it up, I'm not sure which bit is which.

18. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I figured that, but I couldn't stand by and not defend my religion. Anyway, what do you mean "which bit is which?"

19. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

If you read your post again, you should see that its repeated two and a half times.

20. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Dear Angelo

How is life? May the moon sink down the underworld, for that is what I pray your life to be. It was indeed a dark era for you, my friend, I can tell, for my sight had once lost its life just like how yours had. You have guided yourself without the light, and escaped from the cursed pit. I can see now that you are standing just like how you were that time. The sky greets you again, my friend, and the earth smiles at you. You will live now, and I will still accompany you.

How is world? May the earth curse those who abandon you, and may the sky blow them away. The citizens of the world are now above you, but with what you have right now, you will drag them down and make them watch you ascend to the clouds. Only then will they see who you are, my friend, for their sights are onto the sky. They crave a road to the sky, and it will be your duty to break the road so that they will fall to the place where the moon shines blood red, where the eyes of those who watch the moon see black death. And before your ascension, my friend, enjoy the sight of their anguish, their pain. Pray that they will climb the hills you have climbed, and as they see you in the clouds, let them desperately try to reach you. No one can touch you now, my friend.

How is life? May gold be your weapon and diamond your shield. Theft is our friend as well, I believe. Rid them of their pride, cripple their wealth, and you will be the supreme one. You may feel that it will take more than those to satisfy your anger, and I agree with you. Whatever it takes, do it, for you have what it takes. We were part of humanity, my friend, but I will leave it to you to finish it. It is like a big battle, my friend. You are the commander of this war, and I will be your company.

Yours in unity

Angelo

21. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I see, is fixed.

22. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

I'll just throw this out there..

Old Friends

The voice was clear as glass as it cut the fog of intoxicants and chimed brightly in his head.
    We need to talk.
    He took a step backwards at the sound. The woman at his side looked toward him with dull eyes.
    Well hello stranger!
    I’d almost forgotten how you sounded.
    Just give me a moment.

He turned to the woman.
    I have a voice in my head I need to talk to, please excuse me.
    She waves him away without speaking and he wonders if she even heard him over the sound of the music and the force of the drugs. Still these people never were good listeners, they all had poor hearing and, to compensate, had developed loud voices.
    He turned and walked across the club.
    What can I do you for my old friend? I take it your not just here to apologise for insulting me, you could have done that anytime in the last, oh seven hundred years or so.
    Well? What brings you back inside my head?

I have nothing to apologise for and it is six hundred and forty two years since I last had the pleasure of your company. I would not disturb you now but visitors are incoming and I thought you might like to hear it off me before you watch their arrival on the news.
    So when would you have called?
    I thought you had decided not to speak to me?
    You know where I am. I was waiting for you.

Well if that’s how it is... Tell me your gossip and fuck off.
    So who sent out the party invites?

It seems they have invited themselves.
    A message shell broke over the planet fifteen minutes ago, I’ve done some background since then. A circus of Godsquadders and amateur anthropologists is on the way in and to cap it all the ship, at least, knows we’re here..

Sensors?
    No. Our presence here is a matter of public record remember?
    So they're ours then?
    You’ve been out of touch for too long, everything is ‘ours’ now.
    And the people that aren’t will still claim to be. What’s with the visit?
    Well, it seems that we are sitting in the path of a hostile swarm. This is just the tourist bus come to watch the show. The Godsquadders are here to offer salvation for souls, the anthropologists are here to record the culture and history ect ect.
    The ship is here to cannon up the natives and play general against the forces of evil.

There really a swarm?
    Seems so. I’d not heard about it because nobody told me. It’s not big news. Just two systems gone so far, both empty of the people. Looks like it may well be coming here next.
    I’m mining the data as we speak.

The bugs I can live with but I’m not having those sad fucks making contact and screwing up my life.
    What are we up against?

The ship incoming is a patch job. The AI threw it together to suit its aesthetic tastes. Get this. It has cosmetic enhancements that resemble offensive capability it’s not classed to handle and it goes by the name of “The End of Perfection” it is, of course classed, as an independent but owes some allegiance to the “By Appointment Only” who has defended some of its more excessive actions in the past.
    As for the contents, there are seventy eight biologicals mostly humanoid and forty six independent base AI’s. The ship has four thousand personal drones with less than a thousand of those being autonomous.
    Some basic field weapons on board, fusion nukes (stowed), and a host of the usual low grade gear available without prescription
    Nothing exotic.
    Nothing interesting.

Public record?
    No.
    Scan.

23. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

I dont mean to insult you, but have you been reading too much Iain M Banks? Certainlyu, meeting a hegemonising swarm would be interesting, for a short while.

Gifted, you thing makes more sense now, thank you. its an odd little bit of fluff, well written, but whats the point? Is there one?