Famous UFO In Astronauts Reflection (Huge Image!)

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by btimsah, Apr 11, 2005.

1. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Is that a big star that got reflected on the astronaut's helmet (top part)? Strange, the sky looks kinda dark for an outer space...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. btimsah Registered Senior Member

Pete, the flag is RIGHT NEXT TO THE THING.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It's not down the field, towering over the astronauts.. lol

BTW, I examined the image EXTREMELY CLOSELY and the dark dot below the "poll" is not lined up with it.

It's not the flag.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

What you are calling an orange blob is so obviously the flag that I find it incredible that you can't tell that it is. It's not towering over anybody. It looks pretty much proportional to me. You've obviously convinced yourself that you are seeing something and your flawed perception is occluding the real and quite simple perception of the thing being a flag. Can't you see the flag pole? Don't you understand that the image is distorted by being seen in a fishbowl reflection?

Come on, man. Are you seriously saying that you can't tell that's a flag?

What's this?

It's difficult to see. But once seen it can't be unseen. This is similar to what you must be experiencing. Only in reverse.

Anyway.
    I wonder a bit about the other upright object in the scene. It has been conjectured earlier to be the television camera on a tripod and that might well be what it is. But it's hard to tell for sure.

And as to the original topic, the yellow light, if you think it's from a different light source, then what are the odds of all the circles lining up in a straight line like they are?

Also, I find it amusing that you posted the link to the other pic showing the flag but didn't notice what is odd with that picture. Something very striking and unusual. And ironic considering the conversation.
    And...
    I'm not going to tell you what it is.

Oh. This:

What do you mean lined up with it? Can you see how the shadows each have slightly varying angles depending on their distance from the center of the visual field? It looks lined up to me.

I noticed this too. There are no stars in the sky, it can't be a star. What is it? Again. Another anomoly that is quite plain that our resident jpg analyzer missed.
    Funny.

Edit: Ok. I think I might see you confusion in thinking the shadow doesn't line up. First of all, consider the fishbowl effect. This does change it somewhat, but not really.

Look at the line made by the flag pole. Or better yet by the other upright whatever it is. This establishes a line that is perpendicular to the ground, ok? Now. Take that angle and look at the flag. Not the pole. But the flag. See how it lines up perfectly with the edge of the flag?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

so what is that circular light thingy above the flag?

;-)

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Please.. someone stop btimsah periodically trashing the astronomy section.
    This is not science! Go away

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

That is because the image is taken with low light sensitivity. Because the stars are much more brighter than on Earth (as seen through its' atmosphere). In order to make a photo that is something more than a huge flash of light you need to lower the light sensitivity for the shot.

10. Maddad Time is a Weighty Problem Registered Senior Member

You've been opening your mouth quite a bit.

Sure it is. The flagpole goes down to where it's about horozontally even with the top of the object on the left. If you draw a line from the flag to the flag's shadow, it forms a parallel line with the top of the object on the left and its shadow. This means that the shadows fall in the same direction.

Now we've got two UFO because NASA's pretending that the astranaut has a real head

The flag in the picture is the most out of focus because it is the furthest from the camera that is focused on the very close faceshield.

Wrong. You see the flag as the most distant object from the lander, not next to it. Proving that you do not know what you are looking at, which by now is no surprise to any of us. You also do not understand that this image was reflected off the curved surface of the astronaut's face shield, which is why all shadows on the left side fall in a different direction from all shadows on the right. Even the shadow of the foreground astronaut who took the picture is twisted by the distortion. Or is that another NASA coverup for gumby aliens

11. Tezcatlipoca's Hat Used Registrar Registered Senior Member

OK, I may be a complete loon, but what if the flag image in the lower right-hand corner is simply a reflection of the flag patch on the astronaut's shoulder? The "pole" in this reflection could be a stray reflection of one of the lander's many protrusions?

I remain convinced that the Mystery Blobâ„¢ in the secret square there in the center is Old Glory, but blurred by distance and distortion. Surely space travel, while requiring nerves of steel, wouldn't preclude hopping up and down in a ridiculous fashion and screeching like a cat in a washing machine if one noticed an alien spacecraft puttering about in the reflection of your co-worker's mask. You'd think it would've come up as a topic of conversation, is what I'm saying.

"Hey, Neil, did you order a pizza from Lunar Hut?"

"No, Buzz. Why?"

"Oh, no reason."

12. btimsah Registered Senior Member

Although I understand the nature of the astronomy forum is to find natural/ordinary explanation's to what some see as extraordinary images or situations, some are trying to make this about me.

I will respond within this thread, PROVING that the ufo in question is NOT THE FLAG.

13. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Give us a hint?

14. btimsah Registered Senior Member

Since I senced a certain amount of anger and arrogance in you're post I will reveal the truth about this flag business in here.

The hostility, or anger that you show, only illustrates how you and perhaps some others find these posts a threat to yourself or beliefs.

If these type of things, such as UFO'S make you angry or make you pissed off then don't respond. Otherwise it's up to you, and you can only blame yourself.

The flag is right next to the lander, and not the most distant object. You are wrong. See image below, genius;

http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/as11-37-5480HR.jpg

Hmm.. what's that tripod doing FURTHER out there? Then there's the cool pan below:

http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11postpanDAC.jpg

Now, in order for this to move any further we have to drop our biases and anger and actually click the links above to actually see what is in them.

In both images we see the flag, closer, and right next to the lander. Hell, the T.V. tripod (white) thing is FURTHER OUT.

15. Blandnuts Registered Senior Member

Sorry mate, that orange blob is the flag. In the last pic it's next to the tripod and in the fist, well....it's next to the tripod. The first pic is tricky like someone said, it's a reflection and it's not a flat image....

Fred

16. btimsah Registered Senior Member

Has NASA stated that this thing is the flag or something? Because I am sensing a tremendous, uh, hard-wired sense of what is and is not in this image. How dare me to question it?

I read the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal and they make no mention of the flag being in the shot.

17. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

That's pretty interesting. I wonder if there was a second tripod, or if that tripod was moved at some stage?

18. btimsah Registered Senior Member

Do you not see in the helmet pic that the lander is to the right? The flag is behind the lander. Not back there, where you want it to be.

19. Tezcatlipoca's Hat Used Registrar Registered Senior Member

There remains the intriguing possibility that the flag is not mentioned for the same reason, say, one doesn't mention the gift shop near the national monuments in one's family vacation photos. They're in the photo, it's obvious what they are and that they are related to the main subject of the photo, but they aren't really, you know, a big discussion point.

I say this not to be contrary or to demean your contention that the flag is an extraterrestrial spacecraft, but to offer the alternative idea that perhaps the NASA folk assumed everyone would simply recognize it as a flag.

20. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

The latest two images you show are both taken from atop the lander, right? This gives it a view of looking down on the flag and tripod. In fact, I suspect a permanent camera mounted up there? The angle between the grey shot with the flag in the panorama looks to be exactly the same as the angle from the picture with just the flag and tripod.

By the way, the dark structure in the photo is the lander itself and not its shadow, right? This is important to try to get some sense of placement.

Now. Imagine a different time of day where the sun is on the other side of the sky. The sun does change positions on the moon, doesn't it? I'm sure it does, but by how much? From the angles it would require to be on the opposite side of the moon from these latest pictures. So that the shadows would be stretching back towards (kinda) the lander instead of away from it.

Is this possible? If not, then the tripod must have been moved. I have no idea about the exact details of the thing. I would personally think they'd move it quite a bit, but then again maybe not.

Anyway, back to the first photo. First of all, it's a photo that's being taken by the astronaut seen in the reflection, yes? So this means that it's blown up to show only the reflection in the helmet. There should, in fact, be another image showing more of the astronaut, unless it's on zoom mode, that is. I suppose that's possible.

But, regardless, the angle is from the astronaut's chest which shows the blackness of space behind the flag instead of the lunar surface.
    You're being tricked by perspective. The lunar surface is strange and has few points of reference with which to get your bearings. Couple to this the distorted fishbowl view and I shouldn't be surprised that you're confused.

But it's so obviously the flag. Look at it.

21. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Kennedy Space Centre Photo Archive

Higher resolution (680k)

22. btimsah Registered Senior Member

So.. who still believes the orange blob is the flag??

This thread just came to a halt and I'm not sure why.

23. Silas asimovbot Registered Senior Member

I think that came out to:

Alien Object: btimsah
    US Flag: everybody else.

And that's why the thread came to a halt.

Incidentally, this is the most famous moon photograph of all time, and shows Buzz Aldrin. The picture of the two astronauts putting the flag in, was that Apollo 11? Or some other mission? I'm not sure that it's Armstrong and Aldrin.