Faith healers.

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Xelasnave.1947, May 5, 2018.

1. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

From CluelussHusband Post 25
    I do not believe this actually happened.

I believe that a better explanation would be hallucinations induced by a charismatic preacher or some stage trickery using a shill.

If it really seemed to happen, I would expect Randi to be able to duplicate the effect.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

From CluelussHusband Post 25
    I do not believe this actually happened.

I believe that a better explanation would be hallucinations induced by a charismatic preacher or some stage trickery.

If it really seemed to happen, I would expect Randi to be able to duplicate the effect.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Sorry for double Post.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sculptor Valued Senior Member

once on a short hop from Dallas I said to the pilot: "Hi, how are you feeling(fine said he) (then) no depression, any thoughts of suicide"? Both he and the flight attendant had a good laugh----(my beloved spouse was aghast)-------nice to know that they were happy.

Would I have been concerned if he were wearing a hawaiian shirt?
    One normally expects to see a pilot in white shirt and dark tie.
    I might as well be less than sanguine if he were wearing a brown shirt and brown tie.
    I'm reasonably certain that a hawaiian shirt, shorts and flip-flop sandals would be a deal breaker.

Dr_Toad likes this.
  8. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't care about the Aloha shirt, but a pilot with flips-flops and a Mai-Tai is different.

9. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Pardon my ignorance
    What's a Mai-Tai?

10. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

11. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Maybe a tiny bit, but the important thing is to be able to spot "foreign" material on your clothes. Blood turns black on green clothes, less distressing to the patient. Your vodoun part isn't appreciable, however.

12. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

An old style drink. Trader Vic's recipe in the invisible link...

And while we're at it, the Suffering Bastard recipe. Essentially a Mai-Tai with Bourbon and Gin, but more.. Gin makes me suffer from a distance, but once a year or so, I forget and try a Martini or something. Eeugh.

13. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

A commissionaire at the RCMP museum showed me some stuff in the basement that was not on display, including some old crime scene photos - slides, on glass, black-and-white. In my opinion, black blood is much more distressing.

14. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

If they realize it's blood, sure. I used to tell people it was betadine.

sideshowbob likes this.
  15. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Arterial pumpers are most distressing. You have no time, and you'd better make use of it.

Only once. We got him safe, but then and there, after the adrenaline let-down and the shaking and puking, I knew that I'd never make it as med tech.

Jesus, it still makes me cry. I didn't even know the guy...

16. sculptor Valued Senior Member

First aid was easy for me - bleeders, pumpers, fractures and compound fractures easy stuff that I could help stabilize.
    The illnesses over which I could exercise no control, however just made me sad. So, I quit being a medic and enlisted for signal school..(us to ra)............ that was a looooong time ago.

17. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Healing lies in
    REALITY

Which operates as per the rules of PHYSICS

Anything else is

ie nothing

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I want some of that placebo stuff...it seems to work for everythung.
    Alex

19. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Careful

Must be taken with a large doses of faith

Individual results may vary

20. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Wouldnt it make a great name for a beer.
    Have they tested placebos in birth control?
    How many PMs have we had since the last time we spoke?
    Alex

21. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Think 0

This is number 6 in 5 years

With a name like Scott hope not beamed up soon

22. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

23. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Its a pity Trump isnt our PM so we could get rid of him.

How would a placebo PM work...answer better than a real one☺

It does seem like there are many planets that have similar stats to Earth and it would not be unusual to find billions of Earth like planets in each galaxy.

Will we ever get to go to any of them?

Who knows.

It is not possible from what we know at the moment but before flight we would have never accepted that the jets that fly the world today would be possible.

We say travel would take many human life times well from what I hear greatly extended life times are becoming close to possible.

I can imagine a giant craft leaving Earth and taking many generations to get somewhere and although that seems unrealistic who knows what say 10 billion organised educated humans could do if they all pulled together...imagine if we could divert the physical and human resources wasted on religious pursuits...theres your giant space ship right there...and they could all get to go to heaven.. .either that or get them to check for life on the surface of the Sun.

But Saint you will have to back down on your claim that God made only one Earth like planet...firstly as there is no creator God and secondly it seems there are indeed billions of similar planets...I bet you will not look however because you fear you will find your baseless claim is well baseless.
    Alex