Facebook, more culture than art...

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Seattle, May 1, 2019.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I know some people have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. I've largely found it to be a positive thing as long as you control it to your liking (remove ads, hide posts from spamming friends, etc).

For me, it's the only way I would stay in touch with many people from across the country.

I've noticed a few trends recently that are getting a little annoying. Of course if something gets too annoying you either just don't use it or you block out the annoying features.

To me Facebook is to occasionally post a comment or picture that has something to do with your life. When people post nothing about there personal life and post regarding some cause multiple times a day, that is just spamming your friends. Why do that?

Anything habit that I don't personally get is when people thank their girlfriend constantly for being great, being my their side, etc. Why are they thanking their girlfriend via Facebook? I'm talking about cases where they live together.

The other thing that I'm seeing more of lately is posting a long list of hashtags under every picture they post. Someone goes on a hike and posts a nice picture of them walking in the mountains. That's a normal thing to do. Under the picture they post #livingthelife #badass #lovingthemountains #sunnyday etc. What's the point (I understand that hashtages make it easy to sort posts/pictures by subject)?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I'm glad to say I don't know what a hashtag is. I don't know what Instagram is. I don't know what Snapchat is. I do have a Facebook account but I haven't looked at it yet in 2019. The email notifications go directly to spam and I only check my email once a month or so.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

You can turn email notifications off so that you don't get any. That's what I do. There's not much point in having Facebook if you don't look at it is there?

I know what those things are but I don't have an account with them. Just Facebook.

I should have added one more scenario in my post. I don't get why some people have a Facebook page and don't have any pictures of themselves at all and very little personal posts. Why have it?

An old friend that you haven't seen since school tries to locate you. They find a Facebook page with your name on it and want to verify that they have found the right "sideshowbob" and they can't because you have no pictures of yourself and you haven't filled in any information about yourself and you don't post anything personal that could make them think they might have found the right "sideshowbob"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

The only reason I have Facebook at all is because somebody once wanted to show me a video on it.

A few years ago, I scanned all of my family albums going back to the early 1900s and put them on a Google Site. There's a link to that site on my Facebook page, so anybody who wants to find me should be able to.

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

:shrug:
    Who are any of us to judge what other people use Facebook for?

We see a facet of someone - whether a celebrity on TV or in the news, or a stranger on Facebook - and we think we know them enough to decide who they are.
    It's like the three blind men, feeling different ends of the elephant. Does any one of them have the arrogance to think they can judge the elephant?

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

For some, they could legitimately be looking to gain awareness for a cause and they have a larger audience through social media?

I've started to notice a trend with this, and of the people I know who do this habitually, they have the most toxic relationships. So, posting that it's so awesome makes them feel better? I've often thought they're over compensating for a bad relationship. Usually, I've been accurate on that.

Not sure either. #annoying

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Why does what other people do annoy you - I mean any more than wearing argyle socks with loafers?

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Only if they post about it using a ton of hashtags.

12. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I'm sure they are looking for a larger audience but IMO it's the wrong audience. Talk about lecturing

It's like saying I care more about women's rights (or whatever) than all of you. Or let me tell you all about how great Trump is on a daily basis.

I think you are generally right regarding those over compensating either for a bad relationship or just over compensating in general. Look how happy I am, really!

I think it's OK to bring awareness such as suicide awareness if done rarely but to do nothing but public service announcements via Facebook...it's just annoying.

There are several more annoying ones I just thought of...one person I know always posts something like "Just when I thought I could count on friends..." or "People always let you down". Of course it's just a cry for attention. Everyone will post, "what's wrong".

The other one is people who post "It's 3 am and I can't sleep again" or "I just love Corn Flakes" or "It's taking me a long time to do the laundry today".

Then there's those who constantly respond to "quizzes" which end up on everyone else's timeline. "I'll bet you can't name a city that doesn't have an "A" in it" or "only 1% can pass this quiz" and then the quiz is easy. It's click bait of course designed to produce hits but people fall for it.

Look at these cute pictures of puppies, etc.

13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I dare you to lecture on FB, about any topic. And please report back. That would be hilarious

Yep. Social media is mainly about validation for many people.

lol Yep! I have a cousin who posts every single day random memes with #me, under or above the post. Stahhhpppp!!

It's interesting how my newsfeeds are filled with much of the same. It's an awesome way to stay in touch with people who have moved away or whatever, but it has its flaws.

Seattle likes this.
  14. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I don't lecture.

The puppies are so cute and "New York" is a city without "A" in it...I'm smart everyone!

wegs likes this.