Eye identity

Discussion in 'World Events' started by kmguru, Aug 10, 2001.

1. kmguru Staff Member

NEWS

May I see your biological passport and registration? Recent mathematical studies of more than two million pairs of human irises suggests that iris recognition may indeed be an easy way to authenticate one's identity. Researchers at the University of Cambridge compared over 2,000 iris images -- a total of over 2.3 million possible pairs -- and found the chances of one person's iris being mistaken for another's were negligible. Even genetically identical eyes, it turns out, exhibit different iris patterns. This research could herald the advent of "living passwords" and highly accurate biometric authentication systems. "The implications of iris recognition are highly significant at a time when organizations such as banks and airlines are looking for more effective security measures," said researcher John Daugman. "The possible applications of iris recognition span all aspects of daily life, from computer login, national border controls and secure access to bank cash machine accounts, to ticket-less air travel, access to premises such as the home and office, benefits entitlement and credit card authentication, to name some."

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I can see this now. Computer makes a mistake and does not recognise you. You look into the pickup and knock on the door. The computer answers, "Dave's not here!" ...and you don't get in.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

Did you say "see".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I have a feeling we will have retinal and face scanners everywhere in 5 years!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.