Exosci SETI Team.. You need help!!!

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by H-kon, Aug 19, 1999.

1. H-kon Registered Senior Member

Okay.. Most of these topics are old, but i browsed through them, and eventually i found the team stats at SETI@Home..

First: Do you guys have very old computers? Most of you have stats well over 50H for each work unit.. Here is a fix if you haven't done it allready..

With a clear Windows desktop, right click your desktop, click properties.. then Screensaver.. then Settings.. check the "Blank Screen"Box, and 1 minute in the next.. Click OK.. Next to the settings button.. Chose the amount of minutes you want to wait before your computer goes into screensaver mode ( also make sure that it says "setiathome" as the chosen screensaver) Click Apply, then OK...
    Next:

Open your SETI client,( either Start - Programs SETI@HOME, or double click the green icon to your lower right) click File and then properties ( i think it was) change from " Process in front" to "Screensaver mode" which means that you will only process data when your computer is idle after the specified amount of minutes set by you in the above mentioned tip. Make sure also if you have a modem, that it can dial up automatically to send the data when it is finished ( it will hang up when it's done (1 min)

Now you should be getting much better times..but it will now only run when your computer is not in use.. move the mouse, and it stops..
    -------
    I have an AMD @ 400 Mhz.. I use about 18-19 hours on a packet when i am in Windows, and about 15 when I am in BeOS ( www.be.com)

I am not a member of exosci SETI team, but i am in "Team BeOS" with 163 packets The team is in 17th place overall..

I just noticed the not so good times you had processing them, so if you didn't know this allready, you should be getting far better times than you did before..

Hope that helped

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

-------------------

Explore the power of BeOS.. http://www.be.com -

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ru918 Registered Member

Have you ever had one start by itself without being on line? That happened a few weeks ago. I was really surprised. ru918

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. oldie Registered Senior Member

What a great tip!
    I have a C266@400mhz with 128mb ram and now I can process a block in about 12-13 hours.

It takes my Pentium200mmx with 64mb ram about 39 hours instead of 60 hours now

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. H-kon Registered Senior Member

Were you using Windows version 1.03? If you did, then there was a bug in the program so that it would do that..

But i am glad i could help you all out

------------------
    "We didn't inherit this world from our parents, we are borrowing it from our children".

8. oldie Registered Senior Member

I am using win98 on my Celeron266@400mhz and I was processing a block in about 20 hours before the new setup that you gave me.
    It looks as if my little Celeron beats your AMD by a few hours.

9. ru918 Registered Member

yes, I did as you said and my last one only took 18 hrs. Thanks alot for the advice. Ruth

10. oldie Registered Senior Member

Update on my pentium200 - 24 hours on the last block. I just let it run without disturbing it at all.

Good advice!!

11. H-kon Registered Senior Member

Glad i could help a little. .Now go and tell the all the other people crunching SETI WU's.. You might climb a few places

Working on my #177th unit now.. So it is a lot faster than doing it in front all the time..

Have fun

------------------
    "We didn't inherit this world from our parents, we are borrowing it from our children".

12. H-kon Registered Senior Member

The Celeron have a much better FPU than the K6 series from AMD.. Luckilly enough. My Athlon should arrive within the next couple of weeks.. Then, when the 3DNOW version of SETI@Home comes along, i will have it crunch some WU's all the time...
    The Celeron is mighty good chip i have to say.. Maybe you should overclock it if you haven't done it allready...

* Your 266 can run at 456~504Mhz easily....*

------------------

[This message has been edited by H-kon (edited August 29, 1999).]

13. marvin Registered Member

My seti@home has been running as you've described for some time now but if I let it auto connect when a unit has completed my modem does not disconnect after being idle for more than 5 minutes as set. Any ideas why ?

14. DaveW Registered Senior Member

The ideal chip for SETI@home is the PowerPC G4. It can apparently crunch a work unit in about 5 hours.