Existential crisis, maybe?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Vance Elwood, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

Quantum Physics Woo

You know, I don’t think I’d be satisfied with an assigned value or purpose. I fluctuate too much.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This is from the play "Man of La Macha".

These were men who saw life as it is, yet they died despairing. No glory, no gallant last words ... only their eyes filled with confusion, whimpering the question, "Why?"

I do not think they asked why they were dying, but why they had lived. When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams — this may be madness. Too much sanity may be madness — and maddest of all: to see life as it is, and not as it should be! –Man of La Mancha

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Yah, those discussions may be confined to only text exchanges, but you can almost associate scenes of flying chairs, fisticuffs, face-to-face verbal abuse, and other assorted wild antics with what transpires on those boards or in those topics. With some mod or other occasionally intervening to be one of Jerry's bulky referees keeping the battlers apart. Maybe a huge-brained, Talosian version of Kenny Easterday walking out on his muscular arms serving as legs to announce Round#6.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Quantum physics has a stronger statement of identity when they say all electrons are identical (charge, mass, etc). However, such things may still differ in terms of spin, energy states, relative motion, etc., so, NOT identical then, are they really? This is where philosophy manifestly doesn't help at all when it probably should.

You evidently can have very good science but a very poor philosophy of science to go along with it. This is a frustrating state of affairs, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I dealt with it by pitching any further consideration of philosophy as it applies to science. There was just no other way I could think of to reconcile this.

You can build on science because if it is correct it will be extensible, and this is nearly impossible to do with pseudoscience. Science eventually breaks down too, but pseudoscience breaks down much sooner than science, in general.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.