Excessive use of force in war

Discussion in 'History' started by spacemansteve, Jun 20, 2006.

1. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

No. YOU don't grasp that you don't "make up" for POSSIBLY having to shoot some civilians armed with pointy sticks by DELIBERATELY targetting and killing 300,000 civilians.

If they want to fight, what's wrong with that? The moment they take up arms, they are combatants, and no longer civilians. It's a different world from just deliberately killing civilians who have no chance to defend themselves. Women, children and babies.

What difference does it make if they were given warning? It's still an act of terrorism. State terrorism is still terrorism.

5,000 I said, unless I typed it wrong....and your point doesn't really make much sense. All you're still saying is "we killed women and children to save our paid, armed soldiers"

You can never justify it. The casualty estimate BEFORE the A-Bombs was something like 20,000 US soldiers, and then afterwards it suddenly became 500,000. Eisenhower and Admiral Leahy both admitted they didn't agree with dropping the A-Bombs.

When will you admit that it was a war crime?

I guess 1945 was when the world learned there was no good guy.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

American Democide

In domestic democide, such as lynchings, the American government was probably indirectly responsible for around 2,000 killed since 1900. But in foreign wars, the American military may have killed hundreds of thousands of foreigners in cold blood, virtually all civilians, and the greater majority of these by bombing.
    Putting together all the subtotals (lines 333 to 350), in this century the United States probably murdered about 583,000 people (line 350), conceivable even as many as 1,641,000 all told. Virtually all of these were foreigners killed during foreign wars. Domestically, throughout this century the American Federal or state governments were responsible for the murder of about 1 out of every 1,111,000 Americans per year. 

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

yeah you are right sleebenhorst we sould've killed every last japanese on the planet to give you and your ilk something to really scream and howl about.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

BTW.

How many nukes would AQ have to plant before America surrendered and converted en masse to islam?

an excessive amount or not?
    Dee Cee

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

this quote is inaccurate. as a matter of fact it makes your source highly suspect.
    hiroshima and nagasaki was not carpet or area bombed.
    hiroshima prior to the 'a bomb' was untouched by the allies.
    it's one of the reasons it was chosen as a target, to ascertain the blast and other effects of the 'abomb'

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I took it from the Hawaii University website; its taken from

STATISTICS OF DEMOCIDE:
    Genocide and Mass Murder Since 1900
    By R.J. Rummel

Charlottesville, Virginia:
    Center for National Security Law,
    School of Law, University of Virginia, 1997;
    and Transaction Publishers, Rutgers University

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What do you think?

11. leopold Valued Senior Member

Hiroshima was a minor supply and logistics base for the Japanese military. The city was a communications center, a storage point, and an assembly area for troops. It was one of several Japanese cities left deliberately untouched by American bombing, allowing an ideal environment to measure the damage caused by the atomic bomb.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki

12. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

It was also an "assembly area" for schoolgirls and a "storage point" for women, children and babies.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So does that change the figures for the number of people who died?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  14. leopold Valued Senior Member

i have no idea.
    but i do know that hiroshima was not carpet or area bombed

it could be just an honest mistake on their part.

15. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Or maybe it just wasn't worth strategically bombing?

16. leopold Valued Senior Member

okay, let's hear your story on what america should have done about the unprovoked attack at pearl harbor with the attendant loss of 3000 men?

17. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Putting an oil embargo in effect against someone isn't provocation?

What exactly do you mean "What I think america should have done?" I think they didn't really have a choice but go to war with them, that's hardly something that's up for debate here, but that doesn't mean

1) They should demand from their enemy completely unreasonable terms of surrender

or

2) They should deliberately target that enemy's innocent civilians

or

3) They should resort to terrorism in order to coerce their enemy into accepting those completely unreasonable terms of surrender

18. leopold Valued Senior Member

1. how is 'unconditional' unreasonable?
    2. name some examples of america deliberately targeting civilians.
    2a. the japanese never attacked the american homeland. if she had i am sure that untold numbers of civilians would have died.
    3. terrorizing the enemy is a common theme in any military strategy.

19. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

1) Do some reading up. They only had one condition, and it was fairly simple, and was eventually agreed to anyway - after the nukes were dropped.
    2) Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Dresden.
    2) (a) They did. With bombs tied to balloons. I think one person died....but that doesn't matter. I didn't say the Japanese were saints, did I? I didn't defend their government or military either.
    3) So you think that state terrorism is different from terrorism? You talk about "terrorizing(sic) the enemy"....do you include the enemy's women and children as enemies too?

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yes, "state terrorism," if there is such a term, is different from "normal" terrorism.

1. Terrorists are either stateless people or people operating at a much lower hierarchical level than a nation, without the resources, organization, or alliances of a nation.

2. Terrorists attack civilian infrastructure and other targets because military targets are too well defended to be successfully attacked with their resources.

3. Terrorists avoid military dress and encampments, so as to blend in with their civilian population, using their enemy's reluctance to target civilians as a cowardly shield.
    4. Terrorists attack civilians, particularly women and children, hoping their enemies will stop fighting simply to save their own civilians.

"State terrorism" only satisfies the fourth part of this definition. It's nasty but it merits its own classification for clarity of discussion.

21. leopold Valued Senior Member

the facts of the matter are these:
    japan chose to attack pearl harbor

the japanese fought to practically to the last man on every island we engaged them on. the ones we didn't kill killed themselves by hari kari rather than surrender.

after losing her aircraft carriers at midway she still chose to fight.

in the latter stages of the war she was sending her pilots on suicide kamikaze missions but yet she did not surrender.

it would be clear to any thinking person that japan, if invaded, would fight to the last man, woman, and child

22. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

G. F. Schleebenhorst ,Ketsu-Go read it, it is avalable on line.

23. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

G. F. Schleebenhorst ,Ketsu-Go read it, it is avalable on line.

OPERATION KETSU-GO [New Window]
    1) These two Armies would be responsible for the ground defense of the Japanese home islands. Also, on 8 April 1945, IGHQ issued an order activating the Air ...
    Verified by a Netscape Security Partner: VeriSign http://www.fas.org/irp/eprint/arens/chap4.htm