Evolution belief in America

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by James R, Sep 12, 2007.

?

What do you believe?

Poll closed Oct 12, 2007.
  1. God created humans pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years.

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Human beings evolved from less advanced forms of life, with God helping or guiding the process.

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. Human beings evolved from less advanced forms of life, and God played no part in the process.

36 vote(s)
    70.6%
  4. No opinion.

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So you have some knowledge as to what part God played? Or did not play?

You appear to be interpreting my repsonses through your own bias and assigning them meanings they do not contain.:shrug:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

assumptions? you are the one who has based your whole life on assumptions, you assume a god exists and created humans and the earth.

i assume nothing, only decide on things based on observations and evidence. how can i decide what the nature of god is all about when i have not even got anything to base his existence on?.

dont you see it S.A.M? you are basing an argument on pure faith, wich cannot win debates.

peace.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

This is a very long discussion, that I do not have time for now, but the credibility of empirical knowledge is based on assumptions. If you have not realised how prevalent this is, you have not thought deeply on the topic.

I have attached two papers earlier in this discussion which reflect how these assumptions require a suspension of epistemology, to obtain what can only be called the best possible idea of the nature of the universe.

My arguments are based within the limits of both knowledge and faith. This also includes faith in the credibility of the knowledge, a very important requirement in moving ahead to gain a better understanding. That does not verify the knowledge or prove its worth, but science is not about truth.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I think you answered that you "didn't know". Is that right?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

What has a muslim or christian got to discover about the universe in terms of creation?. as far as your concerned god is eternal, he created everything we see infront of us and the heavens above. problem solved, you got one thing right though you are limited to your faith.

how can you speak of credibility of knowledge?, when your whole belief system is based upon a book wich holds not a single ounce of evidence that can be tested?. you believe the earth was created by god as was man, you do not believe in evolution because the quran states man was created as he is now in gods image. this is an open and shut case as far as you are concerned, we have god, he created everything, he always existed end of story.

you have already closed the doors in terms of other ways of thinking, and aslong as the teachings of islam rule your life and thoughts you will remain trapped in a logical quicksand. your eyes are closed to anything that conflicts with islam, which is not an open minded position, rather a closed minded one with limitations.

peace.

9. Atom Registered Senior Member

Clam down and don't bake, SAM.

We won the Poll fair an square...you told me how Stryder fiddles the polls.

Now..time to see a man about a god.

10. Atom Registered Senior Member

<< you have already closed the doors in terms of other ways of thinking >>

Have you heard of the term 'Projection'?

You have likewise closed you doors..

..show me anyone here who has been converted?

11. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

what doors have i closed?, i am an agnotic daoist. i am open to all theory about the universe. but i will class them according to observation and logical thought process.

i am not saying the muslim teachings are wrong, i am saying there is no evidence for me to believe in them for now.

what do you mean show you who has been converted?. and what doors of mine are closed?.

peace.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well if I have closed the doors in thinking, it will be my loss and reflected in my views.

Personally, I believe it gives me a wider perspective; if there is no faith, there is no attempt to search, whether it is faith in God or faith in knowledge.

Personally I am not impressed with the thinking patterns of those who have given up on faith.

13. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Its not giving up if we choose not to belive in something we see as illogical.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

It is if it assumes that you are right in the absence of any knowledge to the contrary; I find it interesting that atheists acknowledge pattern and balance in the universe, to the extent of extreme fine tuning, looking for reasons for all natural phenomena, when there is no reason why everything should have a reason.

15. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

but dont you ever think to yourself "what if islam is wrong", i mean without any evidence or observations to back it up doesent it seem a bit far fetched for a stab in the dark?. ofcourse it is possible for it to be true, but possibility is not something to base entire lives around.

people who lose faith usualy become very aggressive towards the thing they lost faith in, faith is dangerous and can damage people when lost. and damage entire nations when kept.

a neutral position is more wise, as it leaves you open to every angle of thought. an atheist is closed to the possibility of a god, a theist is closed to anything that opposes the faith of certain teachings. i wouldent like to be an atheist or a theist, in my eyes they are both limited. i am not a sith lord i dont deal with absolutes when understanding the universe.

peace.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I have yet to meet an unbiased atheist.

17. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I believe in the laws of cause and effect, so yes I believe that everything has a reason. Its not that I only believe in science, its that I have yet to see any proof or evidence of god besides what it says in certain books. I choose to believe in the one that has more plausible evidence.

18. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

The same could be said for a theist

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Theists are by definition biased, its the atheists who claim to be otherwise.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Which limits your thinking, since all you believe or later refute, is based on the plausible evidence based on present knowledge; until someone decides that the present knowledge is insufficient and finds some more. Knowledge is not expanded by the ones who limit their thinking to "plausible evidence"; it is expanded by the ones who look beyond it.

21. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

The great thing about having a non faith based belief is that i am more free to change my point of view on certain things. I also like explaination, and "its there because god made it that way" is not something I can just accept.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Does not work that way, an obsession with evidence based thinking suppresses lateral thought. An active imagination is very essential to the formulation of new concepts. A science dominated by atheists would get lost in instrumentation without expanding on the possibilities of chance. Implausible evidence would be rejected; chance observations dismissed. Its already happening in many science institutions and will become clear 15-20 years down the line, when the paucity of original thought becomes obvious.

23. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

How exactly are you calling bias here? An atheist has no code, no credo to espouse, the interests of no other party to proclaim. How can one be biased as an atheist? One can't say "well there's no evidence God doesn't exist, so all you atheists are biased". It just doesn't work. I'm sensing a lot of anger against atheism.