Evidence that God is real

Discussion in 'Religion' started by James R, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

There are many flood stories...where I like to live up North has them. .not as old as the bible but for country folk it is a very memorable event.
    Only two things happen...floods and fires and each take on exaggeration as the years go by...

The biblical account is clearly from two authors as Billvon points out.

I bet what really happened was Noah was a farmer (600 moons old) and he probably had a small barge that he would carry animals from one side of the river to the other perhaps a couple of goats and a donkey..whatever but you can see where I am going with this... and at some point on one of his routine crossing to get to the summer pasture or bringing them back got caught in a local flood and ended up down river some place and happy to have survived...and the humans who died if any at all were perhaps a few from the flats that got caught in the flood...Such an event would have been told and retold and as campfire stories go with each telling and each different storyteller grow ... and at some point the story came back via two authors much grander than the actual event....heck I have sat and listened to mates telling about some adventure that I was involved in and have sat there thinking why cant I have fun like that...and I was there thru it... such was the exciting way they grew the story...I happened into the pub once where one of the young guys was telling of a night I beat this pretender in an arm wrestle..."And you should have seen Alex he came out like a raging bull and he looked this bloke in the eye and roared at him that he didn't come out of retirement to waste time on pretenders like him the guy went white and Alex near broke his arm...wow I thought, I am legend in my own lunch time.... that's how stories go.

Heck when you get cut off when there is a flood it seems the whole world is under...up my way you can drive around and it is everywhere you go and you can go that far...back when one walked everywhere what impression would one form.

And I expect if you look at many of the bible stories they would have been told around camp fires for ages..told and retold...the irony is folk from this modern era take them as fact and perfect accounts....and so if the little pub survives a century and my story is still told I expect I will be fighting a biker gang with one hand behind my back and if a believer is telling the story no doubt an angel will be flying overhead

alex

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I suggest chemical castration using caustic soada.
    alex

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    Not trying to excuse anything but a huge part of the problem is forbidding priests to marry.

<>

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 345 Looking for Bali in Nov Valued Senior Member

Naughty naughty. They would finish in hospital and just my luck I'd be the assigned nurse

But after my rant I did have further thoughts. The last act before joining the all boys club castration or vasectomy along with hormone treatment (long lasting implants)

See above. Not going to use it - lose it. Let's see how strong faith and dedication really is

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    Castration would not stop abuse & might make it worse.
    Valid point about faith tho.

1 Corinthians 7:8-9 King James Version (KJV)
    8 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I.
    9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

<>

9. gamelord Registered Senior Member

So you are saying castration...increases sex drive?

10. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    No but sometimes it is not eliminated completely & there can be mild to severe negative psychological effects.

<>

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

You heard wrong.
    It is integral to the central claims of Christians.

12. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Others beg to differ.

13. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Not with evidence or argument.

14. Michael 345 Looking for Bali in Nov Valued Senior Member

15. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Of which you've provided neither.

16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

But they aren't the Flood - the capitalized F one, with Noah and the Ark and the rainbow and so forth. They differ in key details, including time and place and duration and extent and who survived and how they survived and so forth.
    Destroying all civilization as an act of divine retribution against humanity for sin is not that common a feature, for example.
    Nothing relevant from the Aztec or Mayan, as noted - those myths are quite different from the Flood. It's a long list -
    Which ones were you thinking of, as resembling the Flood?
    There is no evidence for a claim of no evidence.
    As far as argument - look at the supposed evidence provided for the claim of a universal myth. We've seen it before, remember?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  17. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Never encountered marginalized or recontextualized interpretations of the flood by christians?
    It's ironic that you rant about practically anyone who disageees with you about religion being an overt "abrahamic" yet you take it upon yourself to be a so called personal authority on one. Is there anything available to discussion that doesn't demand all participants esteem your swagger upon a pedestal?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  18. billvon Valued Senior Member

Often rapists and sex offenders do not commit crimes due to their sex drive. Often to such people, it is about power, not sex.

19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Sure. But we have the Flood myth written down, so there it is.
    I don't. Just you guys. And I don't rant about that - just label. The ranting comes in elsewhere - such as with my repeatedly pointing to your posting of misrepresentation for personal disparagement in lieu of anything else - as you kindly illustrate.
    I'm also a personal authority on the traditional color of the sky - it's traditionally blue. Imagine my ego!

20. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

There it is to be marginalized and recontextualized, to be specific.

When you radically depart from subjects as unremarkable as sky colour, no artistry is required.

21. iceaura Valued Senior Member

And compared with other myths, as here.

22. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Epistemologically speaking, if one fault was sufficient to sink a ship, nothing would float.
    Or to grant you the greatest charity, there is a huge difference between problematizing a claim at the periphery and doing the same to the core.
    Post hoc is as post hoc does.

23. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Well one flaw is sufficient to sink a ship when you think about it.
    Alex