Evidence that God is real

Discussion in 'Religion' started by James R, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

No its not.

Faith is what you need when there is no evidence of God, its what one puts forward when one has nothing to put forward.

To have confidence in something based on evidence is reasonable but claims that one has faith is akin to saying "I believe cause I want to and recognise faith is something I pulled out of my pants that shuts up further discussion that my unsupported claims have no foundation.

And so here we are in a great thread openned to provide opportunity to any believer to put forward something and although we see some excellent penmanship sadly we have had a dismal responce from those originally invited to come forward.
    It has been observed folk talk about religion without knowing zip however why not given the whole deal is set upon a mythical foundation...sure its significance in history and culture deserves study but its significance is not a prohibition upon an observation that the god invented by humans is no more than a product of wishful thinking.
    One may as well study any fairey tale and claim anyone who does not understand its depth is ignorant but wait its a fairey tale a made up story...
    And look still nothing from any believer seeking to explain one damn thing.

And those who dabble in the hostory ignore the astrology connection and labour within the safe boundaries they set.

Alex

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Do you believe there is life because you can make reasonable observations that is around or do you rely upon faith.
    Alex

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

No it's not. It's evidence of faith.

Lots of flat Earthers have faith that the Earth is flat. That doesn't make it flat.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Not really since we only have his word that he has faith

Without corroborating evidence (which is impossible to get considering said faith exist (only) within his brain)

There is always the problem said person professing faith could be lying

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  8. billvon Valued Senior Member

Right. It is not proof of faith - just evidence of faith.

9. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Not even that

An expressed statement without any physical evidence is not evidence

10. billvon Valued Senior Member

I disagree. An eyewitness to a murder, who testifies in court that he saw the accused murder the victim, is indeed evidence. Physical evidence is great, but is not the only sort of evidence.

11. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Ok true you got me there

What the witness states would be taken into consideration but a lot of corroboration would be available

But a statement selfcontained within a person's brain is not available for examination

Mention Lie Detectors and any type of brain scan

I'm out

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Eyewitness testimony, while admissible in court, doesn't rise to the level of reliability needed to establish facts about the universe. The courts have different standards than science.

13. billvon Valued Senior Member

Perhaps. I am sure you would agree that the eyewitness testimony of a dozen scientists, each repeating an experiment to verify a hypothesis, would go a long way towards establishing facts about the universe.

14. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

...while handing over their entire paper, documenting, in excruciating detail - not only how they set up the experiments, but how they controlled for confounding factors, as well as their entire analysis of the data - all the while saying "Don't take our word for it. Here is everything we did. Feel free to repeat it, and do your own analysis and come to your own conclusion. Heck, pass it on to the entire community and see if they can find anything wrong with it. In other words: I have removed myself from the picture as one the potentially confounding factors.".

15. iceaura Valued Senior Member

An expression of an opinion, such as by verbal statement, is physical evidence of an opinion.

16. kx000 Valued Senior Member

No by believing in life you have hope (opposite of doom).

17. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Then I can reasonably say they didn't truly believe that.

18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Demonstrating that you don't know what 'faith' means. Or what 'reasonably' means.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

As Dave said, it's the experiment part, not the testimony, that is the evidence. Testimony can be part of an experiment, for instance, self reported improvement in a medical condition, but we don't expect people to lie about that, and the stakes are low, since it will even out statistically with enough reports. We can even test for self-deception with a placebo.

20. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I'd say the two go hand-in-hand.

21. kx000 Valued Senior Member

How would that be an example of the truth?

22. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

It wouldn't be.
    There's no truth in there. Just faith. In a falsehood.

23. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Faith tells the truth.