Everyone should grow their own food to live on

Discussion in 'World Events' started by sjmarsha, Nov 19, 2002.

1. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

If everyone had their own graden and vegetable patch, which they used to grow food for themselves and their families then I think that alot of our problems could be solved....

1) Disabled and people who do not contribute to society should be allowed to die off, If they cannot provide food for themselves, or do not have jobs.
    (Note:- Obviously exceptions for extreme disability should be allowed for)

2) People will have less time to commit crime

3) Supermarkets will dissapear (food ones anyway)

4) In case of war we will be self sustaining

5) illegal immigrants will not have any land that they can grow any food, and so will die off.

Any thoughts?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. p_ete2001 Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

you cant say that.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. aseedrain Registered Senior Member

Good. Now let's sit down and think how we can ensure EVERY one can own a piece of fertile land with equally distributed resources.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2002
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. p_ete2001 Registered Senior Member

What about bad weather or other anomilies?? Will these victims of poor crop growth be compensated by the government?? I used to say this

In sociology i used to say if people were homeless theh why not grow their own potatoes. They could live off them and make a bit of profit.slowly get on their feet.

Somebody pointed out that potatoes take 6 (i think

) months to grow

Dont you think its a bit radical??

Last edited: Nov 19, 2002
  8. VAKEMP Registered Senior Member

What of people who live in big cities? People in high-rise apartments have no land to cultivate.

9. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Ohhhh... so not everyone should grow their own food. Some will have to buy it.
    Except for those who are out stealing food.
    And where will the people with jobs buy their food?
    You should read a bit of history relating to the effects of war on agriculture.
    Or, like many who were once law-abiding people, will be out stealing food (see above)
    Yeah... you haven't put any thought into this.

10. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

Some will be given it.

Big fence, cctv cameras problem solved.

Umm, they grow it like everyone else. You would have a job and be expected to grow your own food.
    Obviously you would have to be able to buy meat products, milk etc. (hmm doesn't seem like such a good idea now...)

Demolish the cities. Give everyone some land.

OKOK, I am starting to see some major flaws in my idea now.

Why not? Its a valid point.

Note:- I have now been convinced of the flaws in the idea.

1) Obviously there is not enough fertile land.

2) Adverse weather conditions would be a BIG problem.

3) Theft

Note 2:-

War has no effect on agriculture, but if your country imports a lot of food, then your enemies block your trade routes, you might not be able to get enough food in. Hence rationing and other means of limiting the amount of food that people in that country get.

11. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Tell that to the people of Vietnam... the displaced farmers; the farmers that had their fields seeded with land mines; the farmers that had crops decimated by defoliants.
    And who feeds the army from a nation that grows all of its own food? I'm guessing the ones that aren't doing the fighting... you know, the ones growing for themselves will have to give up some of what they need, which results in:
    As I said, you should read more. Might I suggest Warfare and Agriculture in Classical Greece as a groundwork.

Peace,

12. spookz Banned Banned

sjmarsha

perhaps i can trade my daughters hand in marriage for food
    what say u ?
    oh i just had another thought...
    you are whacked

here in america you dont have to be a citizen to own land
    (everything is for sale)
    we are already self sustaining in agriculture

i hope your mom has meets with a debilitating accident so you can watch her die off

cheers

13. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

1) Disabled and people who do not contribute to society should be allowed to die off, If they cannot provide food for themselves, or do not have jobs.
    (Note:- Obviously exceptions for extreme disability should be allowed for)

um, disabled people are called disabled people because they are not able.

2) People will have less time to commit crime

Um, no, if youve tryed growing anything before, you'll find out most plants dont take all that much attention

3) Supermarkets will dissapear (food ones anyway)

Not really, if people had a choice to buy from a supermarket instead of growing (like the current situation) they will choose Supermarket

4) In case of war we will be self sustaining

Nope, What about metals and other things beside food? You cant grow guns you know

5) illegal immigrants will not have any land that they can grow any food, and so will die off.

Neither would legal homeless people.

he he.

14. aseedrain Registered Senior Member

LOL!

15. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Lots of flaws in your hypothesis but i do feel people should be self sufficent. Have your own automated greenhouse and factory building.

*sigh*

16. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

....make your own cloths, sinks, houses, electronic, food...

17. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Id say you could produce most manufactured necessities and much else in a space about 1.5 times the size of ones garage.

18. EvelinaAnville Registered Senior Member

American Dream

Actually, everyone in America having land to sustain themselves was the original American dream. It created a basic freedom from tyranny. Now, I know, the people who own those industrial farming complexes are about as free as the rest of us, but they are different from those original Americans who tried to sustain themselves. Modern farmers are trying to make money, not sustain themselves and their families. (Note: Yes, my views about early America are not taking into account how that "sustainablility" was achieved--through slave and indentured labor. These views are also making a very rosy picture of the hardships involved in a farming life. But I would love to see a culture where we could unite sustainable technology with some of the old, more labor-intensive ways.) Everyone should use their back yards (if they had them) for family food, then we would not be as enslaved to the system we are trapped in now.

Most of the food we grow in the US is shipped overseas. There is this incredibly ironic commercial targeted to Californians about buying California-grown food. Yet, most of the products you buy in the grocery stores in California are shipped from other countries, while most of the products grown in California are shipped outside of California! Looks like those California growers are wasting their (our) money on a useless campaign.

I, for one, am building my compost pile right now so I can have stuff ready to use when I plant in spring. I don't want to be at the mercy of this system for one of my most basic needs when I am privileged enough to have a backyard to cultivate.

19. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

think of what somone could produce if they had one big intensive garden instead of a lawn.

20. kmguru Staff Member

If a major disaster strikes the planet and we go back to dark ages, the lawns will be converted to gardens and the garage to workshops....

My plan in the next 10 years is to be energy self sufficient. Waiting for a decent fuel cell design besides solar cells.

21. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

i would recomend a standard internal combustion engine genorator retrofitted to burn alcohol or methane. You can distill either from plants.

that or hydroelectric if you live by flowing water

22. incendiary Registered Senior Member

It comes down to the fact that there are so many people in the world that with all the science and expertise in agriculture there is enough food to feed most of the world. Mind that while there is enough food now for most of the world it is grossly uneven where some countries throw away enough food to feed 20 other countries.

So if every one on earth or even lets say north america were great farmers we might still have to import food not to mention if every one if growing food who will make fram equipment and run power plants.

Sounds like your talking about an amuish revolution! for shame.

23. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Nah.... I think technology can improve everything. I also think it would be nice to never have to come face to face with another human being unless its on my terms. Have your own small plantation & workshop and circle it with an automated defense system.

I would probabaly go out about once a week so I wouldnt be a complete hermit. I just dont like the meinial interactions with other people. Food should be a given, something you dont have to worry about getting. Any reasonable item you can design you should be able to have.

Sadly, that isnt how the world works. Someone can waste their life performing a thankless job that neither creates anything or really does anything. And thats if they are lucky.