Even number of flowers - death

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Avatar, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Quick question.
    Is it also a tradition in your country that you give odd number of flowers for a living person and an even number for dead at funerals?

I know it's not everywhere, but how widespread?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. tim840 Registered Senior Member

Ive never been to a funeral, but I would have thought Id have heard that anyways. I know that in China you're supposed to give white flowers at funerals, but other than that I am ignorant of the traditions of funeral-flower-giving internationally :shrug:

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

never herd of that avatar but i do know that arangments in general are should be odd because odd numbers are more asetically pleasing than even

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

In Latvia heaven forbid you should give an even number of flowers to a person, that's like a death wish, and everybody notices that. Curiously enough in Lithuania that's the exact opposite.

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Anyone more from USA? UK? Germany?

9. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I'm from the US, and I've never heard of that tradition. I'm probably not the best person to ask about flower etiquette, but I know they sell roses by the dozen, which they probably wouldn't do if even numbers were associated with death.

10. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

I'm from the UK and I've never heard of anything like that.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Weird.
    Germany, Netherlands, Scandinavia?

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

RubiksMaster is correct, here you can buy red roses either by the dozen or indervidually. red roses are ONLY given to lovers (that much i DO know

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) so i doubt there is any specific rule here at least

there are flowers which are specifically associated with funerals though, i belive white lillys are one of them but at my grandfathers funeral the arangment was 3 flowers which were aparently his favorites. i cant rember which ones they were though, i think they were some exotic african flower but im not sure.

personally when i die i want roses because they are my favorites

i always by PB roses because a) it makes her know i love her and b) i get a bunch of roses in the house without any complaints

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I always put one red rose on the coffin to be buried with the person who died. I've never heard of the number of flowers meaning anything at all.

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Ok, so this appears to be a very regional tradition.

So, if for some odd twist of fate you happen to be in Latvia, don't give anyone an even number of flowers, they would think you wish them dead.

15. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

In the United States, both a single rose and a dozen roses are very meaningful when given to both the living and dead. I assume this applies to all other flowers.