"Euros Accepted" signs pop up in New York City

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Brian Foley, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Clear evidence of the US $ demise , the European Union has supplanted America as the center of global finance .

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. world_events Registered Senior Member

This is just the beginning, the dollar will keep falling and falling.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

So a few stores accept other currencies, what's the big deal? I've been to Europe and they accept other curriencies as well.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I heard Canadians along the border (gas stations etc) were refusing dollars?

8. superstring01 Moderator

Yessss.... mua-ha-ha-haaaaaaaaa! The evil Americans will soon meet their end!

~String

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I have a friend in the US who has a sister in Canada, she just visited her and said the gas stations were not taking dollars. Maybe someone else knows different?

10. kmguru Staff Member

"However, the euro continues to largely eclipse the U.S. currency. And it seems the greenback's wilting popularity is not limited to currency traders.

American rapper Jay-Z recently called into question the pop culture catch phrase "It's all about the Benjamins" when he flashed euros rather than U.S. dollars in a recent video.

Fellow rap star P. Diddy had single-handedly coined that saying about 10 years prior with a hit single that paid homage to the $100 bills that display the image of Benjamin Franklin.

Model Gisele Bundchen has also made headlines after a report she refused payment in American dollars."

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/301287

11. draqon Banned Banned

thats hilarious....to bad the Canadian dollar went down, they should have had signs of "Canadian dollars accepted" since it was like above 1 US dollar for some brief time.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its going up again. Almost the same now.

1 Canadian dollar = 0.9999 USD

http://www.google.com/search?q=cana...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Oh wait, thats approximate

American Dollar 1 USD in USD
    Australian Dollar 1.11832 0.894198
    Brazilian Real 1.761 0.567859
    British Pound 0.514933 1.942
    Canadian Dollar 1.0115 0.988631
    Chinese Yuan 7.183 0.139218
    Danish Krone 5.1412 0.194507
    Euro 0.689893 1.4495

http://www.x-rates.com/d/USD/table.html

13. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

I would assume that was because the US dollar is not legal tender in Canada. When the US dollar held exchange rate advantage over the Canadian dollar, the difference in the rates probably made up for the trouble and expense of converting the US dollars to Canadian dollars. When the two are essentially even in value, the Canadian businessman would lose money when he/she had to take the dollars somewhere to have them exchanged for Canadian dollars.

I had kind of a similiar experience recently with a Canadian penny. I bought an item in a convience store and handed them the exact amount of money to pay for my purchase. The cashier noticed a Canadian penny in my change and refused to take it! I simply pulled another Americian penny out of my pocket and took the Canadian penny back. I spent it somewhere else with no problem, I don't even know where. It is fairly common to get Canadian penneys mixed in with our change, but it normally causes no problems, they are just passed on to someone else as change. But here in the southern US, none of the stores would take larger amounts of foreign currency because the money would have to be taken somewhere physically to have an exchange made. I am not even aware of where to have such done in my smaller city. Possibly one of our banks????

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i have occasionally ended up with NZ coins. They are the same shape as Australian coins though so you can use them anywhere even in drink machines

15. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I call shotgun on your nuclear stockpile!.

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I like Euros, I do all my savings in Euros too. And it's so much easier to travel with them.
    Latvia is supposed to go over to Euro side till 2011 or something.

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The Canadian/US dollar conversion hassle has been a problem for a long time - friends of mine who travel a ways into Canada across the Minnesota border have always had to change their money to buy gas and stuff. I recall a story from a few years ago about a bar that took American money - but doubled the price. And that was with a 75 cent exchange. Nothing new.

Minnesota gas stations usually won't take Canadian money either.

Except it used to be good deal for the US citizen - the Canadian dollar was underpriced for a while, and stuff like Cuban cigars was cheap.

18. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

It's all artificial bullshit. A scheme to manipulate CND U.S dollars to par so the amero can get rammed down our throats. BULLSHIT bankers!

19. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

It seems you are right, no matter which party has the White House or the Congress or the Supremes, they are all takiung us down the path to an Amero. When hyper inflation occurs as it iinevitably will someday if the governenment continues it's fiscally unresponsible policies.

20. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Hey CND dollar started (naturally) rise past 1.08 U.S and suddenly the local banks skyrocketed interests rates WHILE OUR NATIONAL bank dropped them. It is pretty obvious what is going on. Banks run these countries, they don't even hide it anymore.

21. DubStyle I may be wrong, but I doubt it Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yet governments around the world are buying more than ever and further coupling themselves with the USD.

I think your comment is just wishful thinking.

22. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

You know the American dollar is in trouble when American banks start offering depositors accounts in Euros or Canadian dollars instead of American Dollars. How bad is it when your own citizens don't want your currency. Unfortunately, I think that is where we are headed, with our government selling favors to the highest bidder. It is an all out free for all on our treasury.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why are they doing that, do you think?