Euro 2008

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Ghost_007, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Kadark Banned Banned

Yeah, at least we didn't lose 2-0 or 3-0. Went out with some pride, although Rustu kinda disappointed today. Gotta give props to Schweinsteiger ... that guy knows how to play!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

Turkey didn't deserve to lose. I thought they were the better team, maybe should have gone into extra-time. But they have had a brilliant tournament, they are a good team to watch, can't take anything away from Turkey, they have had some brilliant moments.

The Germans, as usual grind out the results, not that pleasing to the eye but they get the job done. Its funny looking back, I still remember England going nuts when they beat Germany 5-1 in the World Cup qualifiers, but in the same World Cup it was actually Germany that reached the final. On paper, the German team is shit, no one expects them to do well but they always prove everyone wrong. They played shit against Turkey and their defense was a joke (I'm sure both Russia and Spain are thinking they would have a good chance against the Germans) - however they have reached the final whereas star-studded teams like France, Italy, Portugal, Czech rep. have failed.

It has been a fantastic tournament so far.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

I dont like Turkey, so I am glad Germany has won

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Isn't a statement like that against your philosophy ?

8. draqon Banned Banned

well...yes, but my nationalistic routes of the nation to which i belong to are above my own beliefs.

9. algebraic topology Registered Member

You were right. Klose scored. Podolski didn’t score, but he set up Schweinsteiger beautifully for the first goal.

Bastian Schweinsteiger. Schwein means “pig” in German. Don’t know what the other half of his name means though.

Anyway …

Turkey certainly played much better than most people expected tonight. They had three-quarters of their first-choice players missing but they didn’t give up and went down fighting all the way. I even thought they might come back from the dead for the fourth game running when they had a free kick in stoppage time – unfortunately it was poorly taken. Germany on the other hand were rather disappointing tonight; they did just enough to beat their opponents in 90 minutes. All the same, congrats to both teams: to Germany for reaching the final, and to Turkey for showing tremendous fighting spirit.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

To say you don't like the Turks is not nationalistic.. :shrug:

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I don't know the word "steiger" either, but "steigern" means something like "to rear up".
    http://www.interglot.com/interglotresult.php?word=steiger&SrcLang=3&DstLang=2&sug=steigern

12. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Well I'm hoping you have figured them out by now. If not;
    Zhirkov - Jerkoff
    Ivankov - I wank off.
    I think I missed out an old player called Gobalov.
    I can't help but giggle at some eastern european names.
    Someone told me the English translation is pigfarmer as in pig-raiser. It sounded right to me but I don't know why.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

LOL good ones

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

That's very likely. "To raise" is one of the meanings of the word "steigern".

14. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

I think it makes sense historically too, germanic languages(particularly old english) use occupations as last names.

15. cezza Registered Member

who care what all you racists are thinking about Turkey and Turkish people. We proved ourselves that all these success are not chance event. And i believe if we have a second chance to play this match again we would shot them down easily.

Turkish team is our champion on our hearts

16. chuuush Registered Senior Member

I suppose this tournament is one of the best in the recent years. At least after the previous one was ruined by a horribly defensive Greece becoming the champions. Turks made a great contribution to the tournament and added spice to the broth.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Wtf.. good day to you too.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Russia 0 - 2 Spain

I wanted a Germany - Russia final.

I wish we won from the Russians, we would have kicked some Spanish ass.

19. draqon Banned Banned

Like I said...Russia would not win Spain.

20. Kadark Banned Banned

Yeah! Go Spain! Hmm ... Spain and Germany next. I predicted ten days ago that Spain would win it all, and I'm sticking with that. 2-1 Spain over Germany.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

The only game they played really well was the one against Holland..
    If it wasn't for Hiddink we would have played against the Spanish, and probably would have kicked their ass.
    God damn Hiddink

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Nooooo... !

23. draqon Banned Banned

no not really. The reason why Russians played against Holland so well is because of the memory of a loss in 1989